Tom Lawrence - Joined Rangers

Bubbles

It was always going to be unlikely for him to stay, I think Rooney leaving will have ended any slim chance of TL staying.
West Brom under Bruce could go one of two ways, a chance for promotion to the Prem or mid table Championship mediocrity, best of luck to him either way.
He’s got some talent, and some glaring blots on his copy book, but I wish him well. Had a good season last year, a few moments of brilliance in the past, not his fault we paid big money and silly wages he couldn’t consistently live up to.

Will be a shame to lose him but he’s in his prime and with that can demand good wages. He would be silly to not cash in now and set himself for life as he will be a long time retired.

Also don’t think it’s the worst thing for Derby. He’s had a lot of history with us and starting fresh for both sides right nis feels right.

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Being keen to join West Brom basically sums up what goes on in Lawrence’s mind. Imagine where he’ll go if they turn him down? Somewhere really exciting like Stoke?

WBA have a limit to what they pay I don't see TL going there as a free he'll want to squeeze as much as he can from this deal, Some ones going to offer him a wage knowing that 1 good game in 3 if they're lucky means he's a luxury?

He was that good that the Wales Manager couldn't find a place for him in the squad ? 

Seems to be a lot of bitterness on here. Came to us as a young lad with very high (unreasonably high you might argue) expectations after one good season at Ipswich. Went through some very tough personal times as he grew up with us, and yes he made some stupid decisions (don't we all in our mid 20s?) but I think he has handled himself very well since the Joiners incident and had matured last season, which was the best (imo) he had with us. 

I think it's a shame he's leaving but wish him all the best. 

58 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Seems to be a lot of bitterness on here. Came to us as a young lad with very high (unreasonably high you might argue) expectations after one good season at Ipswich. Went through some very tough personal times as he grew up with us, and yes he made some stupid decisions (don't we all in our mid 20s?) but I think he has handled himself very well since the Joiners incident and had matured last season, which was the best (imo) he had with us. 

I think it's a shame he's leaving but wish him all the best. 

I would agree with all of this except his sending off against Peterborough was unforgivable.

We we’re 1-0 up against ten men and he allowed himself to be wound up by a slap which went unpunished. His subsequent lunge was a definite straight red.

We lost the three games he missed after building some momentum and our season never really recovered.

However he did produce some wonderful moments for us during his time here.

I would have sold him every summer but last season he was excellent generally and my one overriding feeling was why on earth was he allowed to take so many free kicks because he was dreadful from them and it’s a good job we had the Harry Wilson free kick interlude season - good luck to the lad

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

WBA have a limit to what they pay I don't see TL going there as a free he'll want to squeeze as much as he can from this deal, Some ones going to offer him a wage knowing that 1 good game in 3 if they're lucky means he's a luxury?

He was that good that the Wales Manager couldn't find a place for him in the squad ? 

Well I mean every club have a limit as to what they can pay, but I suspect West Brom would be willing to fund his 30k a week wages, considering they’re not having to pay a fee to get him.

I think his exile from the Wales squad is more to do with his driving ability than his football ability.

13 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It was always going to be unlikely for him to stay, I think Rooney leaving will have ended any slim chance of TL staying.
West Brom under Bruce could go one of two ways, a chance for promotion to the Prem or mid table Championship mediocrity, best of luck to him either way.
He’s got some talent, and some glaring blots on his copy book, but I wish him well. Had a good season last year, a few moments of brilliance in the past, not his fault we paid big money and silly wages he couldn’t consistently live up to.

It does make me giggle when you hear footballers being interviewed and asked do you worry about the price tag the club paid for you and they say nah doesn't bother me...... unfortunately for them this is the only metric that they get judged against.

Look at Grealish at Man City already getting slagged for his performances relative to his 100 million price tag, Maguire at Man Utd has had the same for years now.

So unfortunately for Lawrence he didn't live up to the price tag that we foolishly lavished on him on the back of one good season on loan with Ipswich.

On 27/06/2022 at 22:53, Caerphilly Ram said:

Pretty clear the way it will go, WBA are an established top of the Championship level of team - pockets still bulging with parachute payments. All of which Tom will enjoy watching from the subs bench.