Tom Lawrence - Joined Rangers

Bubbles

2 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Unfortunately not, is he a very generous owner who's gift had nothing to do with the rugby club I take it ?

He paid a number of the rugby club’s star players handsomely and within their salary cap of course….and also bought them houses and helped them set up businesses of their own away from the rugby club (or something along those lines), they were punished and ended up being relegated I think for massively breaching the salary rules. Naughty naughty rugby man 

We will definitely leave the door open for him, so we will see. He did look genuinely gutted when he was subbed off on the final game, he (and I think everyone) thought it might be his last game. I do believe he's training with the club still, so obviously will just be weighing things up. 

I expect that he will end up going, but obviously isn't an easy decision for him. 

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He paid a number of the rugby club’s star players handsomely and within their salary cap of course….and also bought them houses and helped them set up businesses of their own away from the rugby club (or something along those lines), they were punished and ended up being relegated I think for massively breaching the salary rules. Naughty naughty rugby man 

Very naughty indeed! I don't think any of us can handle another scandal for a few years so let's hope everything's above board... or never discovered 

12 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

We will definitely leave the door open for him, so we will see. He did look genuinely gutted when he was subbed off on the final game, he (and I think everyone) thought it might be his last game. I do believe he's training with the club still, so obviously will just be weighing things up. 

I expect that he will end up going, but obviously isn't an easy decision for him. 

The dreamer in me says him staying, with the new signings would make us genuine automatic contenders, no ifs and buts, he’d be stardust in league 1 if he gave us a go, just for one season - also wonder if that’s what he’s thinking, just how we stack up as a squad to push for that.

The realist says, nah he’s got to put his career and earnings before us, weigh up all offers put in front of him, including game time and he’ll end up Championship or SPL at the very least.

19 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

The dreamer in me says him staying, with the new signings would make us genuine automatic contenders, no ifs and buts, he’d be stardust in league 1 if he gave us a go, just for one season - also wonder if that’s what he’s thinking, just how we stack up as a squad to push for that.

The realist says, nah he’s got to put his career and earnings before us, weigh up all offers put in front of him, including game time and he’ll end up Championship or SPL at the very least.

It'd certainly play to his ego. He'd be the biggest fish in the pond by a mile and he'd look like a star. Banging in goals in League 1 would be better for his international plans than being decent in the Champ. Its probably beyond hope, but fingers are crossed.

I think Tom gets some unwarranted what seems like hatred on here I think he’s a good player and when speaking to opposition fans are always glad if he’s not playing but for me I do find his decision making at times frustrating 

if losing Tom would allow us to sign Hourihane Collins and Mcgoldrick I would accept that ….but still think he’s a good player albeit frustrating at times 

I'm sorry but Tom is 28 and has largely never kicked a top flight ball. Okay if we did keep him he might rip up L1 but he could also break his leg and be worth nothing in a years time. Unless he signed a contract that was a lot less than what he's on now I really wouldn't be fussed about it as its a massive risk. I'm sorry again but he really isn't a great player in my eyes. Do you really think if Mel had any offers for him he would have ripped their hand off. No one else rates him highly if you ask me.

Edited by Tricky1884
Added wording

16 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Maybe we could convince him to sign a new 2yr deal. If we get promoted there is a pay increase built in but if we dont we will sell next summer where we can be in a position to get some money in for him.

I am fairly sure that we wouldn't be able to offer a contract with such terms - the best we could do is a two year deal, with a gentleman's agreement on something further down the line when restrictions are lifted. 

I know the business plan, certainly one that Reading are under, is rigid and cuts out a lot of the bonus incentives to stop costs escalating. Not saying ours is the exact same, but would imagine it's similar in that regard.  

2 minutes ago, Tricky1884 said:

I'm sorry but Tom is 28 and has never kicked a top flight ball. Okay if we did keep him he might rip up L1 but he could also break his leg and be worth nothing. Unless he signed a contract that was a lot less than what he's on now I really wouldn't be fussed about it. I'm sorry again but he really isn't a great player in my eyes.

Once for Man Utd in 2014 and three times for Leicester in 2015

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I am fairly sure that we wouldn't be able to offer a contract with such terms - the best we could do is a two year deal, with a gentleman's agreement on something further down the line when restrictions are lifted. 

I know the business plan, certainly one that Reading are under, is rigid and cuts out a lot of the bonus incentives to stop costs escalating. Not saying ours is the exact same, but would imagine it's similar in that regard.  

I would imagine bonuses such as goals, clean sheets etc may not be allowed but I would imagine a promotion bonus is allowed when you consider the extra revenue involved.

14 minutes ago, Tricky1884 said:

I'm sorry but Tom is 28 and has largely never kicked a top flight ball. Okay if we did keep him he might rip up L1 but he could also break his leg and be worth nothing in a years time. Unless he signed a contract that was a lot less than what he's on now I really wouldn't be fussed about it as its a massive risk. I'm sorry again but he really isn't a great player in my eyes. Do you really think if Mel had any offers for him he would have ripped their hand off. No one else rates him highly if you ask me.

The contract would have to be in line with the wage structure imposed so wouldnt be on what he is on now

8 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I would imagine bonuses such as goals, clean sheets etc may not be allowed but I would imagine a promotion bonus is allowed when you consider the extra revenue involved.

I know that Reading aren't allowed to, nor use that in a bid for a player. I personally don't see an issue.