Tom Lawrence - Joined Rangers

Bubbles

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

I suspect that Wales qualifying for the world cup may play a part in his decision - a move to a top-end Championship/newly promoted to the PL club and a good start to the season would get him noticed, probably back in the Welsh squad and off to Quatar - not something that will happen if he's playing in League One.....

To be honest I reckon the only way he gets back in at this rate is if he plays out of his skin and scores goal after goal week in week out. If that happens then Robert Page will be forced to bring him back in.

Otherwise I cant see him getting back in whilst he is manager, something must have happened or Page just doesn't like him for some reason. But it isn't football related. Lawrence has had a pretty decent season and scores some great goals.

Dan James who plays for Leeds doesn't score, he's pacey but that's about it and he gets in the squad every time without fail, even when he was at Man United but wasn't even playing. Johnny Williams of league two Swindon gets in the squad without fail. He even calls up young players who have hardly kicked a ball for their club before Lawrence, it's just bizarre.

The writing has been on the wall ever since Giggs left and Page took over.

2 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Even if he isn't in the first team, surely a good sub option for them. Seems more to it than just tactics.

Bale gets in by default. Hard to argue against Wilson, Johnson, and Thomas being in the squad. Matondo and James still get in the squad despite not really doing much at club level, but are seem as the future, whereas Lawrence at 28 doesn't fall into that category.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bale gets in by default. Hard to argue against Wilson, Johnson, and Thomas being in the squad. Matondo and James still get in the squad despite not really doing much at club level, but are seem as the future, whereas Lawrence at 28 doesn't fall into that category.

They might well be the 'future' but Lawrence outperforms several players that are selected in every squad. He's not old is he, only 28, in his best years and let's be honest if it was based on footballing ability he would be in there. There's more to it which we don't know about.

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

“Tom Lawrence wants to play for Wales, but it’s a personal choice from the Wales manager,” said Rooney.

“I think he managed Tom at U21 level and maybe there’s a bit of history. As manager, you need to get over that.

Rooney's spot on. Unless a player is a persistently disruptive influence or can't be trusted to follow instructions, a manager should put aside personal feelings and do what's best for the squad. It's just cutting off his own nose. 

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Rooney's spot on. Unless a player is a persistently disruptive influence or can't be trusted to follow instructions, a manager should put aside personal feelings and do what's best for the squad. It's just cutting off his own nose. 

True, but when he's just managed a team in qualifying for the World Cup for the first time in 64 years it's difficult to say he hasn't done what's best for his squad, no matter what we think.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

unless Tom goes to a premier league side and rips it apart i cant see him getting in the Qatar squad, he deserves to be in the squad and an option we needed Sunday when we scraped throu. 

loyalty he does owe and lets see what happens on this come the start of the season. 

i hope he stays and leads us back up as part of the rooney re build. b

build back better 

1 hour ago, Coconut's Beard said:

True, but when he's just managed a team in qualifying for the World Cup for the first time in 64 years it's difficult to say he hasn't done what's best for his squad, no matter what we think.

No, you can't say that it's affected Wales' results. France achieved great things without Cantona, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a tragedy that he and Deschamps fell out and never made up, and Jacquet chose not to disrupt the squad by including him.

Edited by Crewton

2 hours ago, OUTSIDER said:

unless Tom goes to a premier league side and rips it apart i cant see him getting in the Qatar squad, he deserves to be in the squad and an option we needed Sunday when we scraped throu. 

loyalty he does owe and lets see what happens on this come the start of the season. 

i hope he stays and leads us back up as part of the rooney re build. b

build back better 

Really? Bale is an automatic starter. So on the other wing, the options are Wilson and Johnson who both outperformed Lawrence last season. Then there's James who offers something different in raw pace. Those are the 4 first choice wingers in a 23 man squad. Sorba Thomas then offers something different with his deliveries into the box, and then you have other young-ish players coming through such as Brooks and Matondo.

So whilst Lawrence would deserve a space in the squad over James and Matondo, I can see why he has made the decisions he has.

39 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Really? Bale is an automatic starter. So on the other wing, the options are Wilson and Johnson who both outperformed Lawrence last season. Then there's James who offers something different in raw pace. Those are the 4 first choice wingers in a 23 man squad. Sorba Thomas then offers something different with his deliveries into the box, and then you have other young-ish players coming through such as Brooks and Matondo.

So whilst Lawrence would deserve a space in the squad over James and Matondo, I can see why he has made the decisions he has.

in my opinion it needed a player that could make space and shoot which lawrence can do. we rely on bale to much and his days are coming to an end.  Wilson came on but little impact  johnson definatly made a difference 

sorba  and matonda(overrated)  i would say they inexperience's on both players and showed v Poland and wouldnt say they above Lawrence

if any other manager lawrence would be in the squad simples 

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Carnero said:

WBA, Sheff Utd, Watford & Rangers... yeah such a terrible player isn't he ?

He's low risk on a free. Everyone knows he's got ability, but no-one can deny either that he's blown hot and cold for us and his discipline on and off the field has been a liability at times.