Wayne Rooney

roboto

The key to this appointment will be who he takes down there as his coaching team. 

I think Rooney did okay in the figurehead part of the role for us, but it's obvious now that Rosenior was the coaching part of the team. A bit similar to Lampard and Jody Morris. 

At least Plymouth is a bit more out of the spotlight than us and Birmingham were, give him some time to build.  

32 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Poor Plymouth,what were thinking in appointing Rooney for this season?

Dreadful for us,disastrous for Birmingham,it's hard to understand the logic behind this decision,I wouldn't trust him to boil an egg,never mind run a football club.

image.png.7edf77ef0d5236e91220da904c94a144.png

I try not to let what's happened since he left Derby have an impact on my memories of Rooney's time at Derby.

I remember feeling very proud of being a Derby fan during that season that we were relegated and was there at Moore Farm when Rooney led the players to address us fans. 

I've got nothing but happy memories of Wayne Rooney as Derby manager which is odd given we were relegated!

1 hour ago, Sweetness34 said:

I try not to let what's happened since he left Derby have an impact on my memories of Rooney's time at Derby.

I remember feeling very proud of being a Derby fan during that season that we were relegated and was there at Moore Farm when Rooney led the players to address us fans. 

I've got nothing but happy memories of Wayne Rooney as Derby manager which is odd given we were relegated!

Totally agree. He conducted himself well, imbued a fighting unified spirit in players and fans alike. That and a few flashes of old magic reminded us occasionally that he’d been some player in his pomp. I don’t think I have ever heard fans shout so loud in support when we went behind and were battered and bruised. 

2 hours ago, jono said:

Totally agree. He conducted himself well, imbued a fighting unified spirit in players and fans alike. That and a few flashes of old magic reminded us occasionally that he’d been some player in his pomp. I don’t think I have ever heard fans shout so loud in support when we went behind and were battered and bruised. 

The Friday night game vs Fulham, despite ultimately counting for nothing, was one of my favourite matches at Pride Park of all time.

5 hours ago, Sweetness34 said:

The Friday night game vs Fulham, despite ultimately counting for nothing, was one of my favourite matches at Pride Park of all time.

Oh yes ! When Curtis wrapped Mitrovic in birthday paper with ribbons and put him in his pocket. !
I remember Rooney trapping a ball like frozen nitrogen, a drop of the shoulder neat pass. Class. And a free kick against I can’t remember who, with Waggy playing daft lad, running the distraction; then the a perfect bender. GOAL.
But really  it was the “ole ole ole”…. us against the world. We lost ultimately but we were never even close to being broken. Wayne played a part in that. He’ll get a welcome from me when they come visiting that’s for sure.

32 minutes ago, jono said:

Oh yes ! When Curtis wrapped Mitrovic in birthday paper with ribbons and put him in his pocket. !
I remember Rooney trapping a ball like frozen nitrogen, a drop of the shoulder neat pass. Class. And a free kick against I can’t remember who, with Waggy playing daft lad, running the distraction; then the a perfect bender. GOAL.
But really  it was the “ole ole ole”…. us against the world. We lost ultimately but we were never even close to being broken. Wayne played a part in that. He’ll get a welcome from me when they come visiting that’s for sure.

That free kick was against Stoke. Beautiful.

On 28/05/2024 at 11:22, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Poor Plymouth,what were thinking in appointing Rooney for this season?

Dreadful for us,disastrous for Birmingham,it's hard to understand the logic behind this decision,I wouldn't trust him to boil an egg,never mind run a football club.

Was he dreadful for us?, really?. The 21 points got us relegated. We'd have been around 17th wih those points back. We had no budget for players too. He put his hand in his own pocket a few times as I recall.

Whatever you may think of him, imo he conducted himself superbly under diabolical circumstances. Remember he's worth over £170 mill, he could have just walked away that season but he didn't.

I have nothing but respect for him for that reason and I hope he does well at plymouth.

8 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

Was he dreadful for us?, really?. The 21 points got us relegated. We'd have been around 17th wih those points back. We had no budget for players too. He put his hand in his own pocket a few times as I recall.

Whatever you may think of him, imo he conducted himself superbly under diabolical circumstances. Remember he's worth over £170 mill, he could have just walked away that season but he didn't.

I have nothing but respect for him for that reason and I hope he does well at plymouth.

I wouldn't personally say that getting caught in a hotel room with a couple of girls who then proceeded to take photos of him smashed,whilst our manager,was particularly great conduct to be honest.

Add that to the previous season where he manufactured Cocus departure by playing so badly and getting so out of shape whilst a player at the latter end of the season and my respect for him as a gaffer dropped even further.

Plymouth are going to have a hard time with Wayne at the helm.

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I wouldn't personally say that getting caught in a hotel room with a couple of girls who then proceeded to take photos of him smashed,whilst our manager,was particularly great conduct to be honest.

Add that to the previous season where he manufactured Cocus departure by playing so badly and getting so out of shape whilst a player at the latter end of the season and my respect for him as a gaffer dropped even further.

Plymouth are going to have a hard time with Wayne at the helm.

Completely disagree.

Yes, a poor evening of judgement from Rooney to allow himself to get into that situation. But it was funny rather than being anything too serious. Out of all of the things to say about Rooney, I don't think his conduct whilst at Derby can be questioned. 

I will give him a good reception when he returns to Pride Park anyway - as others have said, he conducted himself very well as manager, and gave is some of the best atmosphere's I've seen at Pride Park whilst the club was going through turmoil off the pitch. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Boss said:

Completely disagree.

Yes, a poor evening of judgement from Rooney to allow himself to get into that situation. But it was funny rather than being anything too serious. Out of all of the things to say about Rooney, I don't think his conduct whilst at Derby can be questioned. 

I will give him a good reception when he returns to Pride Park anyway - as others have said, he conducted himself very well as manager, and gave is some of the best atmosphere's I've seen at Pride Park whilst the club was going through turmoil off the pitch. 

That's up to you,I won't be applauding a manager who took us into relegation and promptly cleared off.

I'd imagine that Birmingham fans are equally as appreciative of his efforts in taking them down into the third tier and he managed that one without a points deduction which is progress I suppose.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

5 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Ah yes, of course, he undermined Cocu by deliberately scoring a late free-kick at Norwich that 99% of English footballers would have been incapable of doing to save Cocu's job by giving him our first (and only) win of the season.

His form and fitness were fading even before that season but to suggest he deliberately undermined Cocu is pure conspiracy nonsense that ignores Rooney's reputation as a dedicated footballer with an incredible will to win.