Wayne Rooney

roboto

15 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

His agent’s plan was to install WR in a long term gig giving him tenure as our manager and Stretford a hefty annuity.   Hence their deplorable interference in the takeover process, conspiring with Kirchner. Rooney made no single decision that was in the club’s interests but not his own and he had a fine PR team (albeit they could not control his persecution of bellringers or careless use of hotel rooms). A good manager managing Byrne, Shinnie, Forsyth et al. would have kept us up. An average manager he was not and without LR things would have descended into farce

Another post using supposition as fact, you nor anyone else know a different manager would have kept us up.

What  is a fact is that he united the team and fans when we needed it most, I for one that went to every game home and away in difficult times will always appreciate his effort in what was a unique season.

17 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Another post using supposition as fact, you nor anyone else know a different manager would have kept us up.

What  is a fact is that he united the team and fans when we needed it most, I for one that went to every game home and away in difficult times will always appreciate his effort in what was a unique season.

So you think he made good use of that squad ?  Fozzie on the bench again !!  

7 hours ago, MadAmster said:

The shorter time left on a contract, the lower the fees offered. If BHA come back in January for Cashin, they won't be offering Derby £3M. That's how it works, unfortunately.

Ah but that was BHA without competition for Cash’s services. IF Birmingham (for example) were to bid that amount in January then Brighton would be forced to match it. The competition can be ‘manufactured’ of course.

On 12/10/2023 at 10:48, AGR said:

Some people really do have short memories.

Despite relegation I loved the admin season, I was gutted when he left. That Friday night game vs Fulham was one of the best games at Pride Park.

If it wasn't for Rooney we would hold the record for the lowest Prem and Championship points. He had no chance of success at Derby and I wish him well at Brum.

Yup - pretty much sums up my feelings too. Put some pride back in the pride department when the cupboard was bare.

No surprise that he’s linked to signing some of our players.  I could see bids for Cashin and Bird, maybe Thompson but I’d be very surprised if he bid for Sibley.

I’ve got mixed views on his time here.  As a player, he did OK once he’d settled pre-COVID but as others have said, was blatantly unfit and overweight once we started again.  Didn’t he get COVID cos he he went to meet an ex-Utd players brother to buy a watch or something stupid?

As a manager, his spell in the lockdown season was appalling and some of the worst football ever, barring perhaps 83/84.  We only stayed up because Rotherham, ironically, couldn’t hold on against Cardiff (??).  Imagine if we had gone down and then entered administration!!

The 21/22 season showed him to be a great leader against adversity.  He held everything together when we needed it, as a club and a fan base.  He gave us all something to cling to and believe in.  And that’s what I think he is, a leader.  I don’t think he’s a great football tactician, and his record shows that.  To be successful, he needs to surround himself with good tacticians. Whether that’s Ashley Cole and John O’Shea, time will tell.

58 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

As a manager, his spell in the lockdown season was appalling and some of the worst football ever, barring perhaps 83/84.  We only stayed up because Rotherham, ironically, couldn’t hold on against Cardiff (??).  Imagine if we had gone down and then entered administration!!

So what you're saying, is that Paul Warne has saved us from League Two football?😉

On 13/10/2023 at 18:19, DRBee said:

Your post  is a dreadful rewriting of history, even though he could not be described as anything better than an average manager.  ... 

Mel Morris undermined Cocu by bringing in Rooney when Cocu had hardly started. 

Cocu's poor results were the cause of his downfall.

We were relegated due to the points deduction and Rooney did his best when not able to bring in players ( particularly more forwards ).

Rooney deserves the plaudits of Rams fans - he had a good stab at keeping us up despite the savage points deduction. He showed great loyalty  to the club and did not jump ship. 

Were his wages not paid by a specific sponsor? 

He brought 5 players in in the January, after which we hardly won a game 😬

On 12/10/2023 at 10:33, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

More fool them.

I thought he was a mediocre manager at best whose wages helped to drain the club's finances even further at a time we could ill afford to do so.

Plus I feel he was always instrumental in the removal of cocu and undermined him as the manager in his own desire for management.

And he will always be the man who was in charge when we were relegated to league 1.

A massive mistake by Birmingham that won't them take long to regret I fear.

Agree..bums on seats by Morris for obvious money back but little did WE know what s**t was to follow with Morris bailing out...John Eustace treated like s**t for what, getting them to 6th just for Rooney to come in to live on is name and do no better?..i know where my money is..Birmingham still in the championship come the end!

Nowt black and white about anything that's happened at Derby in the last 5 years.

I don't think Rooney is a particularly good tactician or coach. But then neither were some of the greatest managers in history. In the right circumstances, he showed himself to be a great leader and gave us pride and hope when we had none.

Somewhat inevitably, given his celebrity profile, he comes with a fair bit of baggage and a circus behind the scenes that has no appeal to me.

Whether he can actually succeed in football management remains to be seen. Personally I think Brum have made a mistake.

I'd rather he didn't sniff around at the likes of Bird and Cashin personally.

On 13/10/2023 at 15:17, Carl Sagan said:

I liked the breathtaking young Rooney with his world-leading brilliance and love for the game. It didn't last long. For a decade he became an impediment to the England team. His arrival at Derby completely undermined Cocu, who had the potential to do something special at our club, if Mel hadn't insisted on this absurd bit of tinkering. Yet in the administration season, with the club leaderless, Rooney stepped up and held everything together which was an immense task - over those months, despite being a poor football manager, he was a magnificent leader of men, and I'll remember him fondly for that. But after he buggered off my attitude to him is now much more "meh". I don't especially associate him with us mentally, and I don't care about him or Birmingham. I do care that Paul Warne isn't making nearly enough of some talented players at his disposal (including but not limited to Cash) which means those players will almost certainly leave. In which case I don't care where they go, as long as we get the most money for them. But it will be heartbreaking as they should be at the club leading us to promotion.

... having shelled out >1.5M out of his own pocket to pay the players' wages one month. I don't rate him as a coach but as a crisis manager he got it spot on. Then, when the yank came in along with 2 people Rooney trusted, WR made the mistake of throwing his weight behind the bloke. When it turned out the fella didn't have a pot to piss in, it left WR in the position of having backed a loser. 

What happened next? We'll never know. I think it's perfectly feasible that, once Mr Clowes decided to save the club, WR was (made?) aware that his wage of a rumoured 75K simply wasn't on under the financial difficulties the club was in. He decided to leave. That was the right thing to do, IMO. No idea what the driving force behind his decision was. It would be great if he quit for the right reasons. Less so if he'd decided that the move was good publicity.... again, we'll never know.

13 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

Almost perfect summation of my feelings. 

My quasi psychotic hatred of the knuckle dragging, dense sounding Bluenoses was pleased that their decision  to dismiss a man who has turned the club around in a short time at the start of what I expect will be an excellent managerial career will be one they regret.

They weren’t too far away from going up and doing it the right way. They may still do, but by throwing mega bucks at it which would make me hate them even more (if that’s possible). 

Fact, your Bluenose aversion will keep right on to the end of the road.... and further. 

18 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

Almost perfect summation of my feelings. 

My quasi psychotic hatred of the knuckle dragging, dense sounding Bluenoses was pleased that their decision  to dismiss a man who has turned the club around in a short time at the start of what I expect will be an excellent managerial career will be one they regret.

They weren’t too far away from going up and doing it the right way. They may still do, but by throwing mega bucks at it which would make me hate them even more (if that’s possible). 

Don't Stand on the fence when it comes to your opinion of Birmingham people 😲. I'm a born and bred Brummie and know lots of Bluenoses and plenty of them can count as far as three and even four when pressed. With my inner city Birmingham development, I do sometimes struggle to get as far as three but I'm not too fick 😉🤣.

IMO it's very easy to motivate the players when you are expected to lose, we see it in the FA Cup every year, a non league team will knock out a league team etc, I would say Rooney did a good, average job here.

While he was here he went out binge drinking or something, so that and the way he used to dress like a teenager with his baseball cap etc, not exactly the kind of person you want the youth team players looking at as a role model.

He was average in the MLS, if Birmingham give him money to spend, I think he will be another Lampard in that he'll spend a lot of money, do a decent job but everyone will label it as a brilliant job just because he's an ex player.

17 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

I was born in Marston Green Maternity Hospital so I’m sort of taking the mickey out of myself as much as anyone else. No offence intended - you have to be brighter than the average Brummie cos you’re a Ram 🤓👍

And no offence was taken, hence my tongue in cheek post and the emojis 🤣🤣🤣. Come on you Rams.

On 16/10/2023 at 15:14, MadAmster said:

... having shelled out >1.5M out of his own pocket to pay the players' wages one month. I don't rate him as a coach but as a crisis manager he got it spot on. Then, when the yank came in along with 2 people Rooney trusted, WR made the mistake of throwing his weight behind the bloke. When it turned out the fella didn't have a pot to piss in, it left WR in the position of having backed a loser. 

What happened next? We'll never know. I think it's perfectly feasible that, once Mr Clowes decided to save the club, WR was (made?) aware that his wage of a rumoured 75K simply wasn't on under the financial difficulties the club was in. He decided to leave. That was the right thing to do, IMO. No idea what the driving force behind his decision was. It would be great if he quit for the right reasons. Less so if he'd decided that the move was good publicity.... again, we'll never know.

I believe that was a loan from his agent to Kirchner .  Which he's now trying to get back from bank holiday Chris.

1623921835278?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=7u6q