David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

Quite hilariously, this rumour seems to have been sparked by a Notts County fan on Twitter screenshotting a text he received. No actual journos have said he’s going Notts yet, just fake Twitter accounts. Some of our fans have been completely duped. 

Just now, Animal is a Ram said:

I'm holding my breath on this one. Not seen a hint of anything close to trustworthy in either direction.

Probably only just got back from holiday and considering his options. Let's not panic.

No need to panic anyway. The guy is 35 and I seriously doubt Warne wanted to go in to next season with us completely reliant on him to score the bulk of our goals.

His body will give up at some point, if he wants a final fling with the club he supports then fine. We can direct his wages, which would be at the top end of what we are willing or able to pay, elsewhere.

It's one player, we'll get over it.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

You seem very keen to paint this in a wholly negative light, ignoring all the facts out there that back up McGoldrick may want to play for Notts. He started his career there, perhaps he sees it as poetic to end his career there. We can’t hold him to ransom. 
IF it happens I don’t find it embarrassing, he had a one year contract, we’re allegedly in discussions over a new deal, if he chooses not to sign it and move on THAT IS HIS CHOICE. How would you feel if the club was to pay over the odds to convince a 35 year old to stay here? 
The only thing that’s genuinely embarrassing in all of this is the inability of adults to control their emotions about the whole thing. 

its just all a bit tin pot isnt it?

make our best player feel wanted so he wants to stay. it is not a geographically thing, its not a footballing thing. we arent going to be "paying over the odds" because notts arent coming in with more money than us are they ?

for me there are worrying signs coming from this summer so far, we shouldnt be giving up on our best players when we are still under a business plan

9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

No need to panic anyway. The guy is 35 and I seriously doubt Warne wanted to go in to next season with us completely reliant on him to score the bulk of our goals.

His body will give up at some point, if he wants a final fling with the club he supports then fine. We can direct his wages, which would be at the top end of what we are willing or able to pay, elsewhere.

It's one player, we'll get over it.

you are right on the face of it

my concern comes from

a) we were completely reliant on him to score the bulk of our goals

b) our lack of freedom in the transfer market to actually replace him adequately

1 minute ago, alram said:

you are right on the face of it

my concern comes from

b) our lack of freedom in the transfer market to actually replace him adequately

On point B, what lack of freedom is that this year? We are cleared to spend money on transfer fees and our wage cap is much higher than most other clubs in League One. I don't think we have much of an excuse on that front this season.

Just now, alram said:

its just all a bit tin pot isnt it?

make our best player feel wanted so he wants to stay. it is not a geographically thing, its not a footballing thing. we arent going to be "paying over the odds" because notts arent coming in with more money than us are they ?

for me there are worrying signs coming from this summer so far, we shouldnt be giving up on our best players when we are still under a business plan

We’re not giving up our best players, his contract is expiring and we are in negotiations with him. If he chooses to go elsewhere that’s up to him, the club will offer the terms it feels appropriate to offer and if he moves on so be it. None of us are privy to the discussions between player and club, nor do we know his motivations. If and when David McGoldrick makes a decision on his future I’m sure we’ll get a bit more of a picture, the rest is just speculation and boredom. If he goes and we haven’t replaced him by the time the season starts then maybe I’ll worry, until then I’ll be patient and wait to see what unfolds. 

As to your other point, what worrying signs are there to have come from a summer in which the transfer window is yet to open and we’ve been linked with a bunch of players? We’ve also been told the club can spend fees again. I really don’t get how pessimistic some people can be when in reality nothing has happened yet. Other than our position in the football leagues the club is allegedly the healthiest it has been in a long time, there’s some good people in charge making sensible decisions with a clear idea of keeping the club sustainable in the long term, try looking at the positives as well as the prospect of losing a 35 year old striker for reasons you can’t control. 

11 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

There’s always an odd vibe in the transfer window.

Fans say they want change and they want new players in but they are also reluctant when anyone shows interest in our players.

Sometimes you just have to allow the process to take place then cheer whoever is in a Derby shirt come August.

Don't forget when we sign a player, watch them, decide they're rubbish, actively want rid, then for some explicable reason, want to re-sign them years later.

1 hour ago, alram said:

my concern comes from

And so are their teams, He's 35 if he signs then fare play, If he moves on...so be it 🤷‍♀️

image.png.6f2e291340223aa461b1d5bb3f13eb44.png image.png.3c739574a5042b86f7b002eb3055b9c9.png image.png.0fd9ea684a13a5158dce7230b181e227.png image.png.0111aced45136049731f1150dd5b6035.png image.png.e04e29a0d6991a6222a57fd48de0a629.png

4 hours ago, CBRammette said:

So imagine you've made your footballers money from a long career, you've had a brilliant season exceeding all expectations but it was really really hard work and you know at your age its going to be hard to do again then your lifelong club the Mighty Derby call offering a final contract In the division below.......... Just dont get why people are surprised surely its everyone's dream?

It just strikes me as odd. It'd be like if Federer retired after winning Wimbledon in 2017. Yes, his body will be less resilient than it was, but he's not a player who uses his body as a weapon. It's his brain that's his asset at this level. 

13 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

And so are their teams, He's 35 if he signs then fare play, If he moves on...so be it 🤷‍♀️

image.png.6f2e291340223aa461b1d5bb3f13eb44.png image.png.3c739574a5042b86f7b002eb3055b9c9.png image.png.0fd9ea684a13a5158dce7230b181e227.png image.png.0111aced45136049731f1150dd5b6035.png image.png.e04e29a0d6991a6222a57fd48de0a629.png

youll have to excuse me which one of these is getting sold to a championship team with no budget to replace them?

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

We’re not giving up our best players, his contract is expiring and we are in negotiations with him. If he chooses to go elsewhere that’s up to him, the club will offer the terms it feels appropriate to offer and if he moves on so be it. None of us are privy to the discussions between player and club, nor do we know his motivations. If and when David McGoldrick makes a decision on his future I’m sure we’ll get a bit more of a picture, the rest is just speculation and boredom. If he goes and we haven’t replaced him by the time the season starts then maybe I’ll worry, until then I’ll be patient and wait to see what unfolds. 

As to your other point, what worrying signs are there to have come from a summer in which the transfer window is yet to open and we’ve been linked with a bunch of players? We’ve also been told the club can spend fees again. I really don’t get how pessimistic some people can be when in reality nothing has happened yet. Other than our position in the football leagues the club is allegedly the healthiest it has been in a long time, there’s some good people in charge making sensible decisions with a clear idea of keeping the club sustainable in the long term, try looking at the positives as well as the prospect of losing a 35 year old striker for reasons you can’t control. 

we are losing our best players and you wonder why people are pessimistic ? really?

i think people are just ignoring the red flags personally, 35 years old or not he is our best player and has carried us this season. we dont have the budget to replace him

to let him go without a fight is massive mistake in my opinion

Edited by alram