LG 1 appropriate transfer suggestions

BuckoBeast

9 hours ago, JfR said:

Was having a look through the United youth teams to see who Rooney could use his connections to get, and was taken by this bright young whippersnapper called Paul McShane in their ranks. One for the future?
image.thumb.png.3766a1abaa144ad1f4b349e3ba5e8c0d.png

Let's get Robbie Savage's lad in!

On 22/04/2022 at 08:52, BBG83 said:

I'd like to see James Wilson back at Derby. He was unlucky when with us before and has dropped down the levels to get game time and find fitness. Played 38 games for Port Vale, only 8 goals - but still one of those players who is too good for league two and has a point to prove.

Johnny Williams also in league two playing for Swindon. Surprised hes only 28.

Both of those suggestions would be on the treatment table more than the pitch. Also 8 in 38 in league 2 doesn't sound the most appealing. 

Frees are going to be the targets, and loans.

Look at clubs are are likely to be at the top who have L1 experienced players who are out of contract, and give them an opportunity to play for a club bigger than they ever normally would get chance to.  That's the club's USP, cos money isn't going to be.

'Come train at a genuinely top class facility and a large stadium with more support than you're used to experiencing'.

Harry McKirdy will be out of contract from Swindon and is having an amazing season.  

Elliott Moore at Oxford is a good CB.

Josh Vela at Shrews is a good CM who moves the ball well.

There's plenty around who have talent and know their way about League 1, which you absolutely need to compete at that level.

On 20/04/2022 at 00:53, Cam the Ram said:

Get any of this wonderful bunch we currently have who wish to stay tied down to new deals (on League 1 appropriate wages).

When their contracts expire, get in Flint, Bardsley, Barkhuizen, Wilks, Dhanda and Telford and have a nip down to Luton to see who they aren't keeping because half of their team is out of contract this summer and they obviously won't be on high wages. 

And finally finish off by asking Kirchner for just a few pennies to bring in Matt Jay and Shadrach Ogie.

Top it off by utilising Rooney's contacts to get in a few decent loans and we're sorted.

See, you don't need a fancy new recruitment team Mr Kirchner ... I've done it for you for free. You're very welcome. 

That gives us 26 players, plus the loans you talk about, plus the Luton out of contract players you talk about, plus youngsters such as Cybulski, Stretton, Watson, Richards, Borkovic who I haven't counted in that number but have all made appearances this season. Plus any youngsters on their way through (let's be fair, we quite often get taken by surprise on who the next big academy prospect is going to be, so I imagine there's one or two names who might be looking at opportunities next season).

Pushes us well over 30 first team players. Far too bloated a squad.

Also, I hope that's not Aden Flint you're referring to? Why would he drop down to League One when he would walk into any Championship side and will have big offers coming his way? Barkhuizen, huge injury issues. Wouldn't have thought we're in the financial position to take that risk.

Good god man, we're still in administration, slam the brakes on

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

That gives us 26 players, plus the loans you talk about, plus the Luton out of contract players you talk about, plus youngsters such as Cybulski, Stretton, Watson, Richards, Borkovic who I haven't counted in that number but have all made appearances this season. Plus any youngsters on their way through (let's be fair, we quite often get taken by surprise on who the next big academy prospect is going to be, so I imagine there's one or two names who might be looking at opportunities next season).

Pushes us well over 30 first team players. Far too bloated a squad.

Also, I hope that's not Aden Flint you're referring to? Why would he drop down to League One when he would walk into any Championship side and will have big offers coming his way? Barkhuizen, huge injury issues. Wouldn't have thought we're in the financial position to take that risk.

Good god man, we're still in administration, slam the brakes on

Well if you're assuming every single player does decide to stay then fantastic, but I'd kind of assumed with my response to this thread that most would use a bit of common sense and understand a fair few wouldn't choose to sign new, lower contracts (despite what Rooney has recently said). I was thinking we'd have done well if we manage to convince 10-12 of the current first team squad to sign new deals on suitable wages for a League 1 team.

Yes, that is the Aden Flint I'm referring to. The same Aden Flint who would 'walk into any Championship side' is currently struggling to walk into 19th position Cardiff's side in recent games and looks like he won't be offered a new deal. Maybe you've seen something I haven't, but I was under the impression his best days were over and he'd likely be dropping to a top end League 1 team or another lower end Championship club. You're right though, unless he was really homesick and fancied returning to Derbyshire we won't have much chance due to his wages, but you never know .... Wycombe managed to get Sam Vokes to drop to League 1 on much lower wages and he was on probably double what Flint is. 

As for Barkhuizen you're probably right, but in League 1 for a club needing a shed load of signings but probably unable to offer transfer fees to clubs, won't nearly every signing we make be a fairly big risk? Most of the proven League 1 players who are free agents will be picked up by the clubs willing to offer big wages (Ipswich, Sunderland etc.). I mean, look at Wigan, they were in a near identical situation to us and they took a gamble on Will Keane, a player who obviously had talent but struggled with injuries so never really got going in the Championship. He's now firing them to the title/automatic promotion.

Honestly mate, if someone suggesting an old centre back on a free from the 19th placed team in the Championship, a decent Championship winger who has had injury problems, a few loans and any rejects from a club with 1 of the lowest budgets in the Championship is cause to 'slam the brakes on,' in a transfer suggestion thread, I really don't know what you were expecting to see when you opened it. ?

Edited by Cam the Ram

7 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

An old centre back on a free from the 19th placed team

32 years old. 39 appearances 36 starts, 6 goals, one of which was playing 90 minutes just 10 days ago.

No chance I'm afraid.

But apologies if I came off harshly with my previous reply. The fingers started typing with the hope the brain might kick in shortly. It didn't ?

On 22/04/2022 at 08:52, BBG83 said:

I'd like to see James Wilson back at Derby. He was unlucky when with us before and has dropped down the levels to get game time and find fitness. Played 38 games for Port Vale, only 8 goals - but still one of those players who is too good for league two and has a point to prove.

Johnny Williams also in league two playing for Swindon. Surprised hes only 28.

Old footage of these two on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke.  This was just the warm up.

I'd be happy with Jagielka back but I think he'll have one more year in the championship on good money.  We keep him,  we don't get relegated.  It's close but we have another 10-12 points in the bag at this stage if he's still here.  That's how much difference his positioning and organisation made in this system. When he went I knew it was a massive knock to our hopes.

Hope Rooney stays but if he doesn't I'd have no hesitation in getting Nigel Clough back in who will get the right players in as this is my worry with Wayne will he know who's good for this division ?he's never played or managed at league 1 level...of course I really hope he stays and succeeds to get us up ....and before i get some belters in response...i am being serious.....I think if Rooney doesn't fancy it Nigel should be given another crack...some of his recruitment was spot on Brayford,Martin,Bryson.Barker,Coutts etc 

Assuming Transfermarkt is correct, there are some interesting names without a club in the summer! Some decent attack minded players that spring out are Marcus Harness (Portsmouth), John Marquis (Lincoln), Jaidon Anthony (Bournemouth... may well get an extra year there, but they have more wingers than we have players under contract after June 30th as it stands! So could get him on loan).

Could get a couple of decent loans in (e.g. Ellis Simms from Everton, Nathan Ferguson from Palace).

A couple of players we've been linked with before (before we were told by the EFL that we couldn't sign anyone) were Cameron Humphreys (ex Man City CB playing in Belgium) and Freddie Ladapo (striker at Rotherham)... they would be solid L1 signings and available as freebies too.

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

Hope Rooney stays but if he doesn't I'd have no hesitation in getting Nigel Clough back in who will get the right players in as this is my worry with Wayne will he know who's good for this division ?he's never played or managed at league 1 level...of course I really hope he stays and succeeds to get us up ....and before i get some belters in response...i am being serious.....I think if Rooney doesn't fancy it Nigel should be given another crack...some of his recruitment was spot on Brayford,Martin,Bryson.Barker,Coutts etc 

You could say some of Rooneys playing performances for us were at League 1 level.....

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

You could say some of Rooneys playing performances for us were at League 1 level.....

Rooney was also instrumental in our rise in form when he was playing for us he was very influential