LG 1 appropriate transfer suggestions

BuckoBeast

Back on topic, I'll readily admit that I know the square root of zero when it comes to lower league up and comers (I was adamant that we should sign Ollie Watkins though ?) so I've cribbed a list of bright young L2 talents from folk who would know a deal more than me. I know we do have a few on here who are pretty knowlegeable though so perhaps they can offer a more considered opinion and a little more detail. Wondering whether we might we look at some longer term prospects to nurture as well as bringing in proven warriors like Shinniesta and Jags? Their wages would be relative beans compared to the astronomical contracts offered under the Morris regime and perhaps one or two might prove able to play at a rather higher level than L2? WIth our academy numbers rather depleted, perhaps some of these types of unproven but well regarded youngsters could bolster our rather successful policy of proving a new 'home' to Premiership youth cast-offs?

1. Kelly N’Mai (CAM), Salford City 

He’s made two appearances for the first team this season, including a five-minute runout in League Two against Newport County. 

2. Rafiq Khaleel (CAM), Crawley Town  

18-year-old Londoner Khaleel was snapped up by Crawley Town from non-league side Cheshunt FC in February 2020. He’s made two appearances for the senior squad in last season’s Papa John’s Trophy. Whilst not making an appearance this season, he has been on the bench for five of their League Two games. 

3. Kion Etete (ST), Northampton Town  

19-year-old Etete is on loan at The Cobblers from Premier League side Spurs. The 6ft 4in striker has scored with regularity for the Londoner’s youth sides and has two goals in nine appearances for Northampton.

4. Samson Tovide (ST), Colchester United 

17-year-old Tovide graduated from the youth sides at The U’s and made his debut for the club in last year’s Papa John’s Trophy. He’s yet to make an appearance this season. 

5. Ethan Brierley (CM), Rochdale 

17-year-old midfielder Brierley is one for future at Rochdale. However, he’s obviously thought highly enough of and has 11 appearances for The Dale. He has two appearances this season in the Carabao Cup and Papa John’s Trophy. 

6. Harry Baker (RB), Scunthorpe United  

18-year-old Baker came up through the age groups at Glanford Park and has made it to the senior squad. He’s yet to feature for The Iron’s first team, though. 

7. Szymon Kowalczyk (CM), Crawley Town  

Crawley signed midfielder Kowalczyc in August 2020 after the youngster trained with the side since the previous October. He was snapped up on a three-year deal. He’s yet to make the breakthrough to the senior side. 

8. Brad Young (ST), Carlisle United 

18-year-old striker Young is on loan at Carlisle from Aston VIlla’s Under-23s. He’s a prolific scorer for the VIllans Under-18s (24 goals in 43 games) and has netted four in 11 at Under-23 level. He’s made five appearances for Carlisle since moving there this summer, all these coming from the bench. 

9. Reece Staunton (CB), Bradford City 

Young centre-back Staunton started out at Bradford City in their youth set-up and has progressed to the senior squad. He’s made 19 appearances for the senior Bantams (one goal) and had loans out at Ossett United and Bradford Park Avenue. 

10. Junior Luamba (ST), Oldham Athletic 

Luamba came up through the youth ranks at the Latics and can play across the front three positions. He’s progreeed to making nine appearances for Oldham, scoring his first goal for the club in this season’s 2-1 League Two win over Sutton United. 

45 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

19-year-old Etete is on loan at The Cobblers from Premier League side Spurs. The 6ft 4in striker has scored with regularity for the Londoner’s youth sides and has two goals in nine appearances for Northampton.

Bring him home, this lad is from Chellaston. Though he hasn't been at all prolific, 3 in 13 for Cheltenham in league one and 3 in 18 for Northampton in league two this season. Still he's young, good size and more physicality than Bart. One year left on his contract at Tottenham, I'd expect they'd take a low offer to move him on. 21 in November, they'd be expecting more from him by now if he was going to be a premier league player. 

17 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Back on topic, I'll readily admit that I know the square root of zero when it comes to lower league up and comers (I was adamant that we should sign Ollie Watkins though ?) so I've cribbed a list of bright young L2 talents from folk who would know a deal more than me. I know we do have a few on here who are pretty knowlegeable though so perhaps they can offer a more considered opinion and a little more detail. Wondering whether we might we look at some longer term prospects to nurture as well as bringing in proven warriors like Shinniesta and Jags? Their wages would be relative beans compared to the astronomical contracts offered under the Morris regime and perhaps one or two might prove able to play at a rather higher level than L2? WIth our academy numbers rather depleted, perhaps some of these types of unproven but well regarded youngsters could bolster our rather successful policy of proving a new 'home' to Premiership youth cast-offs?

1. Kelly N’Mai (CAM), Salford City 

He’s made two appearances for the first team this season, including a five-minute runout in League Two against Newport County. 

2. Rafiq Khaleel (CAM), Crawley Town  

18-year-old Londoner Khaleel was snapped up by Crawley Town from non-league side Cheshunt FC in February 2020. He’s made two appearances for the senior squad in last season’s Papa John’s Trophy. Whilst not making an appearance this season, he has been on the bench for five of their League Two games. 

4. Samson Tovide (ST), Colchester United 

17-year-old Tovide graduated from the youth sides at The U’s and made his debut for the club in last year’s Papa John’s Trophy. He’s yet to make an appearance this season. 

5. Ethan Brierley (CM), Rochdale 

17-year-old midfielder Brierley is one for future at Rochdale. However, he’s obviously thought highly enough of and has 11 appearances for The Dale. He has two appearances this season in the Carabao Cup and Papa John’s Trophy. 

6. Harry Baker (RB), Scunthorpe United  

18-year-old Baker came up through the age groups at Glanford Park and has made it to the senior squad. He’s yet to feature for The Iron’s first team, though. 

7. Szymon Kowalczyk (CM), Crawley Town  

Crawley signed midfielder Kowalczyc in August 2020 after the youngster trained with the side since the previous October. He was snapped up on a three-year deal. He’s yet to make the breakthrough to the senior side. 

8. Brad Young (ST), Carlisle United 

18-year-old striker Young is on loan at Carlisle from Aston VIlla’s Under-23s. He’s a prolific scorer for the VIllans Under-18s (24 goals in 43 games) and has netted four in 11 at Under-23 level. He’s made five appearances for Carlisle since moving there this summer, all these coming from the bench. 

9. Reece Staunton (CB), Bradford City 

Young centre-back Staunton started out at Bradford City in their youth set-up and has progressed to the senior squad. He’s made 19 appearances for the senior Bantams (one goal) and had loans out at Ossett United and Bradford Park Avenue. 

10. Junior Luamba (ST), Oldham Athletic 

Luamba came up through the youth ranks at the Latics and can play across the front three positions. He’s progreeed to making nine appearances for Oldham, scoring his first goal for the club in this season’s 2-1 League Two win over Sutton United. 

Never even erd of em.......

£200 on the latest champ manager, 5 members of the backroom team supplied with unlimited monster and a week later we’ll have the top 20 L2/L1 prospects for a tenth of an Anya. Sorted. 

The lower leagues in English football are rapidly modernising, they have moved away from the old-school long ball and physical styles of play to more expansive and attacking football with teams even using positional play systems.

That implies that Derby could be in trouble next season without at least two quality strikers. Derby need at least one 15 goal a season player.

They also need attacking midfielders.

I think it will be interesting, not only to see who is brought in but how the team adapts to new tactics.

In my opinion derby have been forced to play formations that they might not have selected to play if they had a full squad and a least a degree of quality and available substitutions for each position.

The best teams in League one are not reliant on free agents and players at the end of their careers.

In any case the competition for the best loan signings and free agents will be won  by the championship teams, and then the left overs thought over by the best league one clubs.

Lawrences goal tally this season, wouldnt be considered significant in league one, just look at the league one top scorers table.

League one is a physical league.

Cole Stockton - 23 goals in a struggling Morcambe side. Imagine what he could do with good service

Uche Ikpeazu - Absolute beast of a man! Handful every time I've seen him 

Yoann Barbet - Out of contract at QPR, 28, wouldn't demand a huge wage

Reece Burke - 25, out of contact, could be a good addition

Chris Basham- 33, still very good, I imagine Sheff Utd will try to keep him

Joe Ralls - 28, in his prime, out of contract. 

Can’t remember his first name, but the lad Oliver from Gillingham has a decent record in lg1 in a struggling side, no idea what his all round game is like but scores goals and I believe is out of contract.

Bradley Johnson has confirmed he's leaving Blackburn on a free transfer. I can't imagine it's very attainable given the fact he's almost certain to have better offers, but I'd love him back.

Thought he did really well for us before, he was just a victim of our big spending spree and the massive expectations that came with it. It wasn't his fault we paid £6m for him, but he still did a good job. Even if we end up renewing most of our current squad, we're still going to have a very young midfield. He would add some experience and physicality back in to it. Would tear up League One.

39 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Bradley Johnson has confirmed he's leaving Blackburn on a free transfer. I can't imagine it's very attainable given the fact he's almost certain to have better offers, but I'd love him back.

Thought he did really well for us before, he was just a victim of our big spending spree and the massive expectations that came with it. It wasn't his fault we paid £6m for him, but he still did a good job. Even if we end up renewing most of our current squad, we're still going to have a very young midfield. He would add some experience and physicality back in to it. Would tear up League One.

I think Bradley still has connections to the area so I'd like to think he may consider coming back even on vastly reduced wages. He would certainly help add some physicality and experience to our midfield.

He would have to take a wage we can afford though, no more crazy contracts for a while. 

8 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

I think Bradley still has connections to the area so I'd like to think he may consider coming back even on vastly reduced wages. He would certainly help add some physicality and experience to our midfield.

He would have to take a wage we can afford though, no more crazy contracts for a while. 

He’s still been to watch games this season, there’s been a couple of occasions where he’s been in the stands with Keogh.

Apparently still lives in the area, never moved house when he went to Blackburn.

Even if the Kirchner deal goes through, we are going to be chucking silly money at it. We might be able to spend more than a lot of teams in League One but we won’t have the biggest budget.

One of the reasons this season has been so enjoyable is because all the players who stayed/joined seem to have genuinely enjoyed and wanted to be here. We didn’t have any mercenaries picking up their pay packet and not caring. I think that’ll be the same for next season no matter who we end up recruiting.

On 07/05/2022 at 23:44, Kernow said:

No mate he's holding out for derby city ?

43 minutes ago, RYRAM said:

Anyone fancy Tom Barkhuizen been let go by preston. Worth a trial I say. 

Player I like but been injured alot will be looking for championship 9ffers I expect but one worth keeping a eye on. 

Still not in a position to sign players, but was reading about Tyler Walker, struggled at Portsmouth on loan, from Coventry. Pacey attacker, confidence may be an issue, but other Portsmouth players spoke highly of him & it may be a case of finding the right club & working under the right manager. 

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-city-loan-tyler-walker-23887553?msclkid=59f81983d

A damning indictment, if any. Supposedly on £7k a week (& that was with Coventry paying a significant portion of his remaining wages), so depending on circumstances, we may not even to be able to afford him! And in truth, for that money, we need someone perhaps more proven. He has a year left on his contract so Coventry need to ship him out to free up wages. A club would probably get him for less than what Portsmouth were paying.

Clearly, a player who has lost direction & in the last chance saloon. Robins was a striker so you do wonder if he couldn't get him performing on a regular basis, if he'll now just drop the divisions etc.

It appears George Hirst (Leicester) had a good/better season for Portsmouth on loan & is probably better suited to the division.

1 hour ago, Asanovic70 said:

Still not in a position to sign players, but was reading about Tyler Walker, struggled at Portsmouth on loan, from Coventry. Pacey attacker, confidence may be an issue, but other Portsmouth players spoke highly of him & it may be a case of finding the right club & working under the right manager. 

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-city-loan-tyler-walker-23887553?msclkid=59f81983d

A damning indictment, if any. Supposedly on £7k a week (& that was with Coventry paying a significant portion of his remaining wages), so depending on circumstances, we may not even to be able to afford him! And in truth, for that money, we need someone perhaps more proven. He has a year left on his contract so Coventry need to ship him out to free up wages. A club would probably get him for less than what Portsmouth were paying.

Clearly, a player who has lost direction & in the last chance saloon. Robins was a striker so you do wonder if he couldn't get him performing on a regular basis, if he'll now just drop the divisions etc.

It appears George Hirst (Leicester) had a good/better season for Portsmouth on loan & is probably better suited to the division.

Interesting shout, of course his brother Lewis, did play for our academy but we let him go a few years ago. Now plays in Italy,  quite a way down the leagues.

There was a time I thought Tyler would be brilliant at our level, but as you say, lost his way a bit. If anyone could reignite that spark, ought to be Rooney!

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/portsmouth-chief-issues-transfer-warning-to-derby-county-sunderland-west-brom-ipswich-town-and-rest-of-efl-3686980

Reading through the lines, you gey what you pay for, to head of the hijacking of offers, you need to pay above the odds for quality players.

Dcfc from next season, will soon learn that free agents and loans, don't get the job done.

Some money will need to be spent to replace players who are leaving.

To many areas where dcfc need to strengthen.

In a League where Sunderland, Ipswich, West brom and Portsmouth are spending a  seasons trying to escape the league and where they've got strong teams having spent money over time building those teams.

Where derby can't expect an easy ride to promotion.

Where dcfcs tactics this season reflected a weakness in the team, but where the formation selected, didn't necessarily lend itself to winning games.