Rams v Preston Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

Had a good view of Birds challenge at the match and thought it was a red. Seen the replays and still think it’s a red. I really don’t see how anyone can suggest otherwise. Shame for him as he is not at all a dirty player but the ref called it right. 

In a weird way it helped us as they stopped timewasting and had a bit of a go.

We deserved to win as we were the better team (apart from the first 15 or so)

Just when I didn’t think I could be any prouder of this team they go and do it again. Take out first 15-20 mins, this was an  excellent performance. We were on top when the first red card happened, further dominated for the 20 or so minutes before Max goes and evens it up, watching live it was a red card and watching it back, it’s a red card. Big blow to lose him for 3 games been one of our best players recently and played well today after a shaky start.

I thought Preston would come back into it but we stepped up and found another level, helped by Bielik who was immense. We had to get Ravel on but I was astounded when Ebiowei went off who had been our best player to that point. But what do I know and what a finish from Ravel, he is on fire at the moment. We were patient and we got our rewards and were thoroughly deserving of the win. 

In terms of performances. Ebiowei was obviously the standout, best player on the pitch - he has everything, what a talent! Max was excellent until his red card, Lawrence again involved in most of our key moments, Bielik and Ravel big impacts from the bench and Plange while he doesn’t look like scoring at the moment his work rate and link up play was excellent at times, a talented footballer. Keeper and back 4 solid, thought Festy struggled today and Jason Knight while another 6.5/7 out of 10, he’s not playing anywhere near his capability at the moment, thought he was extremely frustrating today. Not sure of his best role in our system, maybe that’s the issue. 

Reading look good and they have two very winnable home games this week now but we can’t do anything about them. All we can do is win games and put the pressure on. If we could get to 40 points we will have a chance but whatever happens, if we could get 40 points that would in effect be 61 for the season which with this squad would be an outstanding achievement.

4 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

Had a good view of Birds challenge at the match and thought it was a red. Seen the replays and still think it’s a red. I really don’t see how anyone can suggest otherwise. Shame for him as he is not at all a dirty player but the ref called it right. 

Agree ?

5 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

Bird's challenge was stupid and bad, Rooney must have told them not to give the ref a chance to even it up and it was a dangerous tackle. Also, a few thousand Derby fans, myself included, saying "ooh", must have helped the ref make up his mind.

This view clearly shows studs up, shin high, I'm afraid.

16489341189886357690627676799767.jpg

12 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

I dont think it was a red no were near it and bust ball proves it.

21 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

I was right behind it and it was definitely a clear red. 
if that challenge had been on a Derby player I would be livid if a red wasn’t given. 
even the most blinkered of Derby fans can’t argue with that one I’m afraid. 

19 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Just when I didn’t think I could be any prouder of this team they go and do it again. Take out first 15-20 mins, this was an  excellent performance. We were on top when the first red card happened, further dominated for the 20 or so minutes before Max goes and evens it up, watching live it was a red card and watching it back, it’s a red card. Big blow to lose him for 3 games been one of our best players recently and played well today after a shaky start.

I thought Preston would come back into it but we stepped up and found another level, helped by Bielik who was immense. We had to get Ravel on but I was astounded when Ebiowei went off who had been our best player to that point. But what do I know and what a finish from Ravel, he is on fire at the moment. We were patient and we got our rewards and were thoroughly deserving of the win. 

In terms of performances. Ebiowei was obviously the standout, best player on the pitch - he has everything, what a talent! Max was excellent until his red card, Lawrence again involved in most of our key moments, Bielik and Ravel big impacts from the bench and Plange while he doesn’t look like scoring at the moment his work rate and link up play was excellent at times, a talented footballer. Keeper and back 4 solid, thought Festy struggled today and Jason Knight while another 6.5/7 out of 10, he’s not playing anywhere near his capability at the moment, thought he was extremely frustrating today. Not sure of his best role in our system, maybe that’s the issue. 

Reading look good and they have two very winnable home games this week now but we can’t do anything about them. All we can do is win games and put the pressure on. If we could get to 40 points we will have a chance but whatever happens, if we could get 40 points that would in effect be 61 for the season which with this squad would be an outstanding achievement.

I agree with you about Ebiowei. He doesn't have the brute strength of Ebesole, but is a supremely talented ball player. He reminds of of Simon Dawkins by the way he caresses the ball like it is first love! Thankfully we seem to be making better use of him than we did Simon!

6 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I agree with you about Ebiowei. He doesn't have the brute strength of Ebesole, but is a supremely talented ball player. He reminds of of Simon Dawkins by the way he caresses the ball like it is first love! Thankfully we seem to be making better use of him than we did Simon!

I said that to my brother today. Very similar but way more potential. He’s definitely a forward whereas Ebosele is a full back/wing back and I think he struggles at times going forward. 

37 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Bird's challenge was stupid and bad, Rooney must have told them not to give the ref a chance to even it up and it was a dangerous tackle. Also, a few thousand Derby fans, myself included, saying "ooh", must have helped the ref make up his mind.

This view clearly shows studs up, shin high, I'm afraid.

16489341189886357690627676799767.jpg

That angle shows without doubt it was a red ?

So that will make Bird unavailable for the next 3 games. It’s funny how we judge different players in our team. Lawerence got dogs abuse for his red card and the impact he caused by being banned for 3 games but the reaction to Max feels quite different. I’m not sure if that’s because there is a general perception that Max is a ‘nicer’ lad than TL or because he came through the academy, maybe it’s his age ( he’s played plenty of games at this level though). For the record I don’t advocate either of them being vilified but the outcome has been exactly the same.

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

That angle shows without doubt it was a red ?

Not sure that poo blurred photo shows  anything.

However, it was a blatant red.

From the east stand it happened in slow motion, you had what felt like (obviously wasn't) 4 seconds to see it unfold, thinking all along the way "don't dive in, don't dive in, done dive in" or if you do dive in, I hope you've timed it perfectly" but you can't influence it. Sadly despite  Bird's general lack of aggression the.ref had little choice

I couldn’t really tell about Max Bird’s red card at the match.  If it’s like that I gauge it on the reaction of the players and the bench.  As soon as it happened Rooney and his staff were in a huddle obviously thinking about the substitution and tactical change they needed to make.  There was no complaining to the 4th official or linesman and they ignored Max as he went off.  That told me they thought he’d been a bit daft and it was red.  Watching on Quest, I think it was a red.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

For the first time in over 2 years I came home today. Due to work/covid/children I haven’t managed to go since 15/02/2020. 

over the last 6 months I’ve really questioned why I bother supporting this club I won’t lie.

today is the reason I support this club, a day out with my dad, beers flowing, singing in the south stand, accidentally elbowing a chap in the head when we scored (sorry mate). 

months of crap suddenly erased in a day. 

COYR and enjoy your night guys and girls… the fat lady hasn’t sang yet, we are still in this! ??

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

also means we're 1 point further from safety though...

If Reading had won we’d be 8 points behind them, 8 points from safety with us having 6 games to play and them having 7 and level on points with Barnsley who would also still have their game in hand.

If Barnsley had won we’d be 3 points behind them AND 5 points behind Reading with both of them holding a game in hand.

We gained 2 more points than both of them today, I see that as a positive in this hugely improbable scenario ??‍♂️ 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram