Matchday Thread v CARDIFF CITY (AWAY)

Mucker1884

I normally stick up for refs but tonight he was very poor. Lots of decisions that looked just wrong. I don't actually think it was a foul on Curtis, I think he just got out-strengthed, but I do think it was one on Festy as the attack started. 

Anyway, the ref didn't lose us the game, we did. The players are looking lost, the belief seems to be draining from them. They're still working, but they don't look like they believe they are going to score goals and win games.

When we play away from home, we do actually look like a relegation team, so home form is everything from now on in. It'll be hard against Barnsley, who have pulled a couple of results together of late. 

Oh, and I too still think Atwell is a Bamford, although not as much as Miles Addison does I guess.

10 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Wayne disappointed me massively with his comments. We were poor all night, the arguable decision didn't cost us. 

Wayne has done well not to bring up the terrible decisions this season but tonight was the straw that broke the camels back.

Awful refereeing. We had a player wrestled to the floor in the first half inside the box (Plange, I think?), there was also a blatant handball inside the box as a Derby player tried to loft the ball in. Morrison ran to the ref immediately pointing to where the Cardiff player had used his arm.

Ebosele was caught on the edge of the box, no attempt to play the ball, stonewall free kick to any other team. In the same passage of play Davies was then fouled, again, it would have been given at the other end. Guaranteed. 

2 minutes ago, Tombo said:

11 games, probably need to win at least half of those if not more. Even 5 wins and 6 draws would mean 41 points. Reading would have to take about 1 point per game for the final 11 to make it happen. It's more like 6 or 7 wins we need

This puts it very much into perspective ?

Just now, uttoxram75 said:

Wayne has done well not to bring up the terrible decisions this season but tonight was the straw that broke the camels back.

Awful refereeing. We had a player wrestled to the floor in the first half inside the box (Plange, I think?), there was also a blatant handball inside the box as a Derby player tried to loft the ball in. Morrison ran to the ref immediately pointing to where the Cardiff player had used his arm.

Ebosele was caught on the edge of the box, no attempt to play the ball, stonewall free kick to any other team. In the same passage of play Davies was then fouled, again, it would have been given at the other end. Guaranteed. 

I don't agree with any of your views on the decisions, I honestly felt the ref got them all right. And I think there is a good chance you may agree if you were watching another team play. 

I just don't get what refs would gain from giving decisions against us? Because they read negative news stories? I don't see what impact that would have. All of the decisions tonight were 50/50 in my view. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

I don't agree with any of your views on the decisions, I honestly felt the ref got them all right. And I think there is a good chance you may agree if you were watching another team play. 

I just don't get what refs would gain from giving decisions against us? Because they read negative news stories? I don't see what impact that would have. All of the decisions tonight were 50/50 in my view. 

We will agree to disagree like sensible grown ups then chap!

?

Even when we were winning , we were only having a couple of shots on target per game . Teams let us pass the ball around in circles while they have a rest. Hope Wayne can find us a couple of dynamic attacking players for next season. Possibly from non league.

Just home from the match (my commute is far more convenient than those heading back to Derby). Gutted about the result, they were there to be beaten, we just lack the intent, intensity and confidence in the attacking third. So much ponderous possession with no risk or penetration (snigger). The handful of times a forward player does make some decent movement for the ball we never give it to them, when we win the ball up the pitch to counter there’s no direction, whenever Cardiff won the ball back they seemed to run at our defence and panic set in. We don’t take on shots, they took a couple on when it opened up and hit the bar. Taking Knight off seemed the wrong move for me, he was working well with Buchanan down the left and that’s where their goal came from after the sub. 

I don’t want to be fully negative, we were solid and organised enough, haven’t read the match thread in detail but what I saw from Ravel tonight was better than he has been, I did see some comments at half time suggest otherwise.
The mountain keeps getting steeper, we have to keep pushing until the end. I want to see us just go for it from now on, take on shots, take risks moving forward, drive at defenders and take them on, go down swinging if we have to. 

23 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

I am delighted that I'm not the only Derby fan that still holds a grudge against Atwell for that diabolical display, even though it must be over 10 years ago now.

Saw him reffing the league cup final this weekend and it brought it all back.

He was excellent to be fair ?

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

So you think the decision on davies when uche ran into him halfway through second half wasnt a foul? Or when their defender went through the back of plange?

Even if you dont feel the goal fouls were not fouls there was alot of decisions that we didnt get.

5 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

So you think the decision on davies when uche ran into him halfway through second half wasnt a foul? Or when their defender went through the back of plange?

Even if you dont feel the goal fouls were not fouls there was alot of decisions that we didnt get.

Neither of those decisions impacted the game. They had stuff go against them too. It's pathetic to complain about it, the refs don't get everything right. 

It never gets any easier being a Derby County supporter. We should have at least earned a point, but we all knew again that a bang average Cardiff City would get a chance and score, because we have experienced it that many times before.

Our players keep making the same mistakes and repeating them including Tom Lawrence and all the rest and even with the 21 points they would still be making them. Unfortunately we will eventually have to try something different with different players that don't make as many or the same mistakes as our current crop, and will require to have the necessary physical attributes and qualities to be successful in whatever division we end up in, if we still have a football club to support.

And no football authority, it's officials and all the rest are not going to help us achieve anything, we have to do that by ourselves. It's always been that way, and if the FA and the Premier League always want the same teams playing in it, then that's their loss.

Up The Rams.

4 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

It never gets any easier being a Derby County supporter. We should have at least earned a point, but we all knew again that a bang average Cardiff City would get a chance and score, because we have experienced it that many times before.

Our players keep making the same mistakes and repeating them including Tom Lawrence and all the rest and even with the 21 points they would still be making them. Unfortunately we will eventually have to try something different with different players that don't make as many or the same mistakes as our current crop, and will require to have the necessary physical attributes and qualities to be successful in whatever division we end up in, if we still have a football club to support.

And no football authority, it's officials and all the rest are not going to help us achieve anything, we have to do that by ourselves. It's always been that way, and if the FA and the Premier League always want the same teams playing in it, then that's their loss.

Up The Rams.

Good post. Should be posted elsewhere. Doesn't deserve to get lost on a matchday thread.

The goal.

The goal happened firstly because Ebiowei kept the ball in play instead of letting it go out for a throw. I'm not blaming the kid, more experienced players make the same mistake.

If all you can do is give it to an opposition player, let it go out. Regroup. Defend the throw in.

Secondly, foul or not, Curtis just wasn't strong enough. Not seen it back but I'm surprised he didn't try and head the cross clear - I guess the argument will be that he couldn't because of the attentions of the attacker. Could Allsopp have claimed it or too far out?

But, in any case, if you don't create chances, let alone score goals, you're always going to be vulnerable to a defeat.

The problem is our football away from home is way too safe. We pass it around nicely but aren't willing to commit players forward and make runs off the ball. The effort is there and it has been all season but I think we can be braver.

We are at the stage of our season now where we simply have to go for it. There is still a chance but a small one.

We need to take the bull by the horns and win some football matches and get the momentum going again for the run in. I still believe we can take it down to the wire. 

As others have mentioned it was all just too safe. Once again we really struggled to make ourselves look threatening away from home and this is highlighted as 4 of the 5 players who had the most touches for us were in the backline. Ebosele looked dangerous when he did get on the ball but we didn't do this often or early enough and then when we did reach the box too often there were not enough bodies in the box. Up front Plange didn't offer much from what I saw tbh but the midfield was so slow in releasing the ball to him I'm not sure anyone could have offered a lot or stretched them at the back. 

I thought defensively when Cardiff did get onto us we looked shaky as we have done too often since Jagielka left. This is now the 4th defeat from 5 and 6th defeat from 9 and if we don't beat Barnsley then I think the game is really up for us. The players look like they're feeling exhausted and quite defeated as well with the results drying up and no takeover or fresh bodies in sight. Apart from Lawrence who was chatting and smiling away when the camera's picked him up, not sure what he's got to be so happy about since his act of recklessness (again) has hindered the club. The management seems to be fraying along with the players and I think even though we've had bad decisions, Wayne will look back at his interview and wince. 

I'm not surprised as I've always maintained the deeper into the season we go the harder it will become. Still, the feeling that we're going to become a third division club for the first time in my life is bloody horrible. It feels as if between the governing bodies, the mendaciousness and callousness of other clubs and our disastrous ownership the club has been squeezed to within an inch of its life. The fact we'll be playing in the 3rd tier for just the 5th time in our history is like the cherry on top of the 'kill derby county sundae' that's been forced down our throats for the past 18 months. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

Nothing wrong with the fight of the team, but we lack genuine quality and depth. It’s not too surprising. I was expecting this type of performance throughout the season, honestly I’m surprised we have been better for a significant part of the season, but we look cooked at the moment. 

Players now playing for their own futures, because they need to play themselves into the plans of another team at this stage as we can’t offer them deals. 

2 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Don’t think Lawrence should be singled out. Team effort. Team have lost three in a row. Maybe he would have made a difference (probably) but things happen. We aren’t good enough in final third. Lawrence isn’t to blame. 

You might think that…I couldn’t possibly comment!

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Clear contact on his ankle

He has no positional sense, when the ball is on the left wing, the right winger should move to the middle.  He stands in acres of space 20 yard outside the box on the right wing.

He doesn't know when to pass or shoot, he only tries to run through opponents hoping for a lucky bounce.  I'm sure he will be good one day, but not today.

Ebiiowei shows more composure and skill and is a proven goal scorer at academy level and given more than 10 minutes to show his worth is capable of scoring in the first team. Give him a chance.