Matchday Thread v CARDIFF CITY (AWAY)

Mucker1884

5 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

As others have mentioned it was all just too safe. Once again we really struggled to make ourselves look threatening away from home and this is highlighted as 4 of the 5 players who had the most touches for us were in the backline. Ebosele looked dangerous when he did get on the ball but we didn't do this often or early enough and then when we did reach the box too often there were not enough bodies in the box. Up front Plange didn't offer much from what I saw tbh but the midfield was so slow in releasing the ball to him I'm not sure anyone could have offered a lot or stretched them at the back. 

I thought defensively when Cardiff did get onto us we looked shaky as we have done too often since Jagielka left. This is now the 4th defeat from 5 and 6th defeat from 9 and if we don't beat Barnsley then I think the game is really up for us. The players look like they're feeling exhausted and quite defeated as well with the results drying up and no takeover or fresh bodies in sight. Apart from Lawrence who was chatting and smiling away when the camera's picked him up, not sure what he's got to be so happy about since his act of recklessness (again) has hindered the club. The management seems to be fraying along with the players and I think even though we've had bad decisions, Wayne will look back at his interview and wince. 

I'm not surprised as I've always maintained the deeper into the season we go the harder it will become. Still, the feeling that we're going to become a third division club for the first time in my life is bloody horrible. It feels as if between the governing bodies, the mendaciousness and callousness of other clubs and our disastrous ownership the club has been squeezed to within an inch of its life. The fact we'll be playing in the 3rd tier for just the 5th time in our history is like the cherry on top of the 'kill derby county sundae' that's been forced down our throats for the past 18 months. 

Mendaciousness....excellent

I genuinely aren't fussed about us being relegated to League 1 it's the 15 points incoming that bother me more....we've just been suppurating in the Championship, the only thing we've won is the award with Forest for the longest continuous period in this league which is just a plain boring drag now....change is good, embrace it 

Edited by Tyler Durden

Incredible that Derby didn’t win that match, looked more dominant and could see a more clinical team scoring a few. Usually Derby go out with a whimper in those long away days but played overall really well yesterday I thought. Looked like we had an extra man in midfield. Just need goal scorers. It would at least be nice not to finish bottom of the league. Feels like an undeserved defeat yesterday however if you don’t take your chances you pay the price. It felt like Derby had a lot of nearly chances or wasted opportunities at least. 

5 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Our inability to create/score goals in periods we dominate, will cost us. Nice pretty passing, no end product, nobody looks likely to score. Our best chance, a Morrison header, would've been a collectors item.

Yes still very frustrated by last night. That’s what four straight defeats away. Last two we could have won if we had any strikers. We seem to play as if we were at home yet get mugged .. literally in fact last night.

Just now, PistoldPete said:

Yes still very frustrated by last night. That’s what four straight defeats away. Last two we could have won if we had any strikers. We seem to play as if we were at home yet get mugged .. literally in fact last night.

It's the same every week, the lads are trying hard, we can all see it. We miss a goalscorer, and the runs they make, that create space for others.

Too too much , the lads are fighting but the dragging on of the takeover over the last month or so with hopes raised for pb then let slide is probably the final kick in the nuts on top of kick after kick , impossible points deductions, thin squad , the fight is there still but that spark and belief looks to be draining over the last few games and these players and coaching staff must be physically and mentally drained ??‍♂️,

at this point I just despise mel Morris 

We play way too slowly, allowing the opposition to regain their shape easily. Once you start like that, it’s very hard to up the tempo and stop the negative passing and take risks. “Staying in the game” becomes “get a point” which leads to us conceding and then trying to build a head of steam which means raising the tempo etc. which we can’t do

15 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

We play way too slowly, allowing the opposition to regain their shape easily. Once you start like that, it’s very hard to up the tempo and stop the negative passing and take risks. “Staying in the game” becomes “get a point” which leads to us conceding and then trying to build a head of steam which means raising the tempo etc. which we can’t do

I dont have a problem with the patient build up, and conserving energy for later in the game. we have scored goals ourselves late on of course. But we do not have any strikers, and  very few players of pace or power. Festy has both but he is stil very raw of course.  

56 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Not sure if others agree but I felt that for the first time in ages the Derby fans became subdued. 

The chants got weaker and weaker and by the end there was an air of resignation.

I partly agree with this. It was my first away game of the season and I was looking forward to being in amongst it, the singing was loud at the start and the home fans were very very quiet (several “is this a library?” And the like didn’t even get a rise from them) but as the game wore on everyone became a bit more subdued. A couple of older fellas sat near me were very frustrated and negative, slating Plange and the sideways passing, I did think one of them was going to give himself a heart attack. Then a few got up and left with minutes to go, didn’t stay and clap the lads, I appreciate the long drive back people will have so I’m not slating that as such, just felt a bit like the connect between the fans and the team was waning a little. Plenty did stay and clap the team, Curtis and Cashin in particular gave a lengthy round of applause back. Curtis looked devastated and was hugged by Rooney before they trudged off the pitch. Maybe everyone is feeling it a bit more as the season reaches its end, I’m sure the support will be brilliant once again for the next game and the one after, just fatigued by a dreary night in South Wales ? 

53 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

It's the same every week, the lads are trying hard, we can all see it. We miss a goalscorer, and the runs they make, that create space for others.

Made even more annoying by the fact we have only conceded 3 more goals than Huddersfield...who are 3rd!

32 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I partly agree with this. It was my first away game of the season and I was looking forward to being in amongst it, the singing was loud at the start and the home fans were very very quiet (several “is this a library?” And the like didn’t even get a rise from them) but as the game wore on everyone became a bit more subdued. A couple of older fellas sat near me were very frustrated and negative, slating Plange and the sideways passing, I did think one of them was going to give himself a heart attack. Then a few got up and left with minutes to go, didn’t stay and clap the lads, I appreciate the long drive back people will have so I’m not slating that as such, just felt a bit like the connect between the fans and the team was waning a little. Plenty did stay and clap the team, Curtis and Cashin in particular gave a lengthy round of applause back. Curtis looked devastated and was hugged by Rooney before they trudged off the pitch. Maybe everyone is feeling it a bit more as the season reaches its end, I’m sure the support will be brilliant once again for the next game and the one after, just fatigued by a dreary night in South Wales ? 

I did question my own sanity on the very wet walk back to the hotel last night but it’s what we do innit. Very different atmosphere to the Huddersfield game a few weeks ago. A nice easy trip to Bournemouth up next. #WFTTE.

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

We just need someone to SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!

Agree, not seen any of the game back but there were definitely moments last night when it looked to open up for a shot and we seemed to hesitate, or turn back for a pass, or attempt to beat the man again despite having already worked the space. It’s like the old “if you don’t buy a ticket…” line, I just want to see some shots taken on, we might get a deflection, the keeper could spill it, there could be a handball, it might go out for a corner, or it might hit Mr Jones in row Z but at least we’re trying it

Interesting that Rooney is blaming referee decisions for last night.

Yes, Ebiowei was naive, but I thought the management team were more so! 

Two matches on the bounce the substitutions have killed us.

The build up was working, the final third wasn't. Should have taken Ebosele off for Ebiowei and kept him on the right (which is where he scores his goals from.) Then get Sibley on earlier. 

Once we gave away midfield, we were always vulnerable to that counter attack.

Same thing at Luton.

Two points from those two games could have been extremely useful. 

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes, Ebiowei was naive, but I thought the management team were more so! 

Two matches on the bounce the substitutions have killed us.

Agree, I had a great view down our left hand side in the second half, Knight was doing so much good work in tandem with Buchanan, both in defence and to try and drive us forward…then he went off and suddenly they score following a naive moment in keeping the ball alive. It’s done so can’t change it, but for me I would have preferred to keep Knight’s drive and industry on the pitch with Festy a more appropriate option for the hook. 

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned on here but I had to watch on sky tv last night …who was Rooney talking to in depth last night in the crowd an oldish bloke ? He was really chatting to him and I couldn’t make out who he was ?

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Not sure if others agree but I felt that for the first time in ages the Derby fans became subdued. 

The chants got weaker and weaker and by the end there was an air of resignation.

I was there and agree