Hull city (H) on Tuesday 8th February - matchday thread

B4ev6is

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

When we've had any two of Bird, Tommo, Knight or Shinnie in midfield, they've taken up wide positions to allow the full backs to push up. I found it interesting this evening how the shape differed with Bielik in there. He took up a very central position, Bird usually pushed up a bit further, with Byrne almost positioned as a CM

It was so natural too - everything just worked

I still believe every point we get has to be earned but yesterday was a comfortable victory and that’s despite losing nine players in the transfer window and having only one recognised centre half and playing a whole season with very little up front - truly remarkable this season on the football pitch 

Well that was a cracking way to spend a Tuesday night - even if I will be talking like Sean Dyche for most of today

I did fear the worse when Hull started brightly but that fantastic save from Allsop early on gave us the platform to start showing our quality & from that point, Hull had no answer. A midfield duo of Bielik & Bird is very good for this division & between them & Knight, they started dominating the centre of the park. Unquestionably the major difference was Festy although he worked fantastically in tandem with Byrne - I'm surprised Hull didn't start flooding their left side with more bodies to help their full back who was getting skinned alive but then we'd have just destroyed them down the left or through the centre.

The most complete performance I've seen all season & on that evidence, there's no reason why we can't pick up plenty of wins to make the end of season very interesting indeed. No weak links at all throughout the team & particular shout outs to Buchanan, who was excellent as a makeshift CB, Forsyth who aside from scoring a fantastic goal was very good throughout & Plange who did a lot of selfless work holding the ball up & bringing others into play. MOM obviously Festy though - unbelievable display & has added end product to show what an fantastic player he can be at this level.

Crowd were excellent as usual - I was East Stand near the away fans & fantastic atmosphere with being close to the Hull fans. Fair play also to the Hull lot - not many of them but they were loud, backed their team even when 0-3 down & didn't sing 'that' song.

Onto the Parmo Parasites Saturday - please let there be some footballing justice meted out. COYR ??

1 minute ago, super58 said:

I wonder how the players feel about Boro. Do any feel they are partly to blame for the Short term contracts. Low wage cap( in footballing terms) will any feel any animosity towards them?

No.....I think Rooney will have there heads on the game, and doing there jobs for "The Cause"

The morning after the night before… and what a night!

It was my first game since pre-Covid days and not a bad one to be at. I've read a lot about the recent atmosphere on here but it was something else, barely stopped all night from where we were in the South Stand. And most of the ground by the sounds of it. 

Find it hard to fault anyone after that performance. My brief take on things…

Allsop – had little to do (apart from the first save which I've only just seen on the highlights as we missed the first couple of minutes!). Very calm and passing was excellent – both short and long when needed. 

Davies – head on everything, experienced 'head' continuing to do the business. 

Buchanan – thought he was superb too, particularly for a 1st senior game at centre back. If he can continue that sort of performance Stearman will struggle to get back in.

Byrne – brilliant, some lovely touches both in attack and defence.

Forsyth – looked like the Forsyth of old, marauding down the left. Beautiful bullet header. Bit unfortunate for the own goal I thought, Festy should've really stopped the cross.

Ebosele – please let us keep hold of him! Hull just couldn't handle him when he had the ball. Did the defensive side too (cross for the goal aside). For his goal – thought the chance had gone after his first touch but hit it so sweet into the side netting. Missed his somersault celebration as someone somersaulted over me from the row behind in the aftermath! 

Knight – everywhere as usual.

Bird and Bielik (B&B?) – put these together as they worked really well as a pair. Didn't feel like Bielik did a lot but every time he had the ball he looked effortlessly calm. Praying he can stay fit. Heart in the mouth when he went down towards the end. Thought it was his shoulder again but looked like a knock above the eye as he came off? Hopefully not too serious. Bird playing beyond his years. 

Plange – held the ball up well, particularly for someone so young. Ball didn't quite fall for him but worked hard all night.

Lawrence – left the last word for Tommy. He's had a lot of stick on here and in other quarters, some of it arguably deserved. But think he just shaded the MOM from Ebosele for me. He worked soooo hard – in attack, midfield and defence. Multiple clearances in our own 18 yard box. Scored one from being in the right place at the right time and threaded the pass through for Festy's goal. Superb captain's performance.

Thanks to @admira who I met on here for inviting me along.

"They docked us 21 points but we don't give a duck, cos we are Derby County and we are staying up. Allez, allez, allez."

Loved it. COYR 

Quote me, @me, screenshot me. 

If we actually are allowed to finish the season and aren't fined anymore points I think we'll not only stay up but we'll finish 20th place and be safe before the last game of the season. 

Just hoping Lawrence and Beilik don't injure each other in training now. 

9 hours ago, admira said:

01:08 and back home to Suffolk. What a great night, solid performance all round and never looked in danger. 

The team must be well fired up for Boro.  

Where abouts are you from in Suffolk? I’m from Haverhill in Suffolk but I stayed over ar a travel lodge and I’m just about to leave for home for the drive home. Around 2 1/2 hours 

2 hours ago, Ramrob said:

The morning after the night before… and what a night!

It was my first game since pre-Covid days and not a bad one to be at. I've read a lot about the recent atmosphere on here but it was something else, barely stopped all night from where we were in the South Stand. And most of the ground by the sounds of it. 

Find it hard to fault anyone after that performance. My brief take on things…

Allsop – had little to do (apart from the first save which I've only just seen on the highlights as we missed the first couple of minutes!). Very calm and passing was excellent – both short and long when needed. 

Davies – head on everything, experienced 'head' continuing to do the business. 

Buchanan – thought he was superb too, particularly for a 1st senior game at centre back. If he can continue that sort of performance Stearman will struggle to get back in.

Byrne – brilliant, some lovely touches both in attack and defence.

Forsyth – looked like the Forsyth of old, marauding down the left. Beautiful bullet header. Bit unfortunate for the own goal I thought, Festy should've really stopped the cross.

Ebosele – please let us keep hold of him! Hull just couldn't handle him when he had the ball. Did the defensive side too (cross for the goal aside). For his goal – thought the chance had gone after his first touch but hit it so sweet into the side netting. Missed his somersault celebration as someone somersaulted over me from the row behind in the aftermath! 

Knight – everywhere as usual.

Bird and Bielik (B&B?) – put these together as they worked really well as a pair. Didn't feel like Bielik did a lot but every time he had the ball he looked effortlessly calm. Praying he can stay fit. Heart in the mouth when he went down towards the end. Thought it was his shoulder again but looked like a knock above the eye as he came off? Hopefully not too serious. Bird playing beyond his years. 

Plange – held the ball up well, particularly for someone so young. Ball didn't quite fall for him but worked hard all night.

Lawrence – left the last word for Tommy. He's had a lot of stick on here and in other quarters, some of it arguably deserved. But think he just shaded the MOM from Ebosele for me. He worked soooo hard – in attack, midfield and defence. Multiple clearances in our own 18 yard box. Scored one from being in the right place at the right time and threaded the pass through for Festy's goal. Superb captain's performance.

Thanks to @admira who I met on here for inviting me along.

"They docked us 21 points but we don't give a duck, cos we are Derby County and we are staying up. Allez, allez, allez."

Loved it. COYR 

What about the driver?! And the sore nose!

11 minutes ago, Pikeyram said:

What about the driver?! And the sore nose!

Sorry, didn't know your name on here! ?

You won't forget the game last night for while, and not just for footballing reasons ?

Hope your nose isn't too painful.

COYR

5 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Yes you certainly do - do you have a big bag?

Been pondering this post. Is "big bag" some sort of euphemism I was previously unaware of?

Or do you mean a swag bag so I can half inch the Ram off its plinth at the Company of Clothworkers? They do seem to treasure it, so it's even on their "about" page: https://www.clothworkers.co.uk/about/about-us/#

And maybe it's some reference to Jason and the Argonauts and the Golden Fleece? Did Jason swipe the fleece in some sort of special bag?

Or am I thinking too much about a post on a football forum!?