Festy Ebosele - Signed for Udinese

Animal is a Ram

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

This behind a paywall so I can't read it .  If you have access though, it might be informative.

There was interest from Stuttgart, Hoffenheim and Mainz in Germany’s Bundesliga plus at least two other clubs in Italy’s Serie A.

Festys camp believe he'll be better served in Serie A, as it will give him more training time to improve his skillset compared to the 46 game championship.

Can i just take this moment to thank Melvyn for his investment in our academy. Its now finally bearing fruit and the likes of Watford are really going to see some significant benefits from all the resources we've ploughed into our youth teams over the years

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

Can i just take this moment to thank Melvyn for his investment in our academy. Its now finally bearing fruit and the likes of Watford are really going to see some significant benefits from all the resources we've ploughed into our youth teams over the years

Exactly, and if he is still delaying things yet further by insisting on money for the stadium to pay off the MSD loan then even more reasons to abhor the fecker as we see more and more of the youngsters follow Festy's example

I think some of the criticism here is a bit harsh. He showed every indication he'd have stayed with us if the club had been in a position to keep him on. He's delayed signing a contract elsewhere in case things suddenly got sorted. They haven't. His contract is up and his choices are to sign for one of a number of clubs, including a top-flight club in Italy, or... what? Hang around to see if the club he's currently with can avoid liquidation and offer him some sort of terms in League One? 

It would have been nice if he was so committed to the club that he wanted to do that, but that would be incredibly unusual and I don't think it's something fans can reasonably expect. I can completely understand why's he chosen the path he has and wish him well. 

18 hours ago, vonwright said:

I think some of the criticism here is a bit harsh. He showed every indication he'd have stayed with us if the club had been in a position to keep him on. He's delayed signing a contract elsewhere in case things suddenly got sorted. They haven't. His contract is up and his choices are to sign for one of a number of clubs, including a top-flight club in Italy, or... what? Hang around to see if the club he's currently with can avoid liquidation and offer him some sort of terms in League One? 

It would have been nice if he was so committed to the club that he wanted to do that, but that would be incredibly unusual and I don't think it's something fans can reasonably expect. I can completely understand why's he chosen the path he has and wish him well. 

Loyalty cuts both ways,  what loyalty has he been shown? Currently he has no contract and no future with Derby.

Even if we could offer that, and a wage inflated to compete with what he could earn in a top league, a few poor performances and he would be getting the Anya 'what a waste of money, play for nothing,  rip up your contract' type comments. One nasty tackle/slip/Rooney tackle in training and he could potentially be out for a year, who is going to be signing the cheques for him then?

Even as a lifelong fan I would be protecting my future and looking elsewhere.  Regardless, you only get to that level by having a desire to win things,  he ain't gonna win anything meaningful with us for quite a while. 

Best of luck to him, I will watch his career with interest. Absolutely frightening pace and power that you can't teach,  can someone harness it and coach him to deliver that end product that could make him worth £10m+.

I don't think he'll be that much of a miss in all honesty. He has done nothing for us in the the last half dozen games - this move has probably been on his mind for a while plus in my view he is a one trick pony - more often than not he doesn't have an end product to go with that pace. I wish him well but like Plange I reckon we'll be seeing him again in Championship at some point in the next few seasons.

Edited by Jayram

• 1 month later...

Ebosele posted on Instagram: "What a season!! Full of highs and lows but everyone stuck together through it all. I cannot thank the fans enough for the support you’ve shown throughout this whole campaign, you have all been incredible and it will not be forgotten.

"I would also like to thank all the staff @dcfcofficial for all the work they’ve put into my development over the years and a special thanks to the gaffer and all first team staff for putting their trust in us youngsters this season."

Hmm ok

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Ebosele posted on Instagram: "What a season!! Full of highs and lows but everyone stuck together through it all. I cannot thank the fans enough for the support you’ve shown throughout this whole campaign, you have all been incredible and it will not be forgotten.

"I would also like to thank all the staff @dcfcofficial for all the work they’ve put into my development over the years and a special thanks to the gaffer and all first team staff for putting their trust in us youngsters this season."

Hmm ok

He's leaving - would you prefer he says nothing?

Disappointed at Ebosele & his exit, he burst onto the scene, then there was the link to Forest, and relief that he stayed. On the one hand, I understand his decision, the on-going instability at the club, playing in L1, though that didn't do Wes Morgan any harm, a big useless lump who went on to win a PL title.

Ebosele has joined Udinese, exciting as that sounds, he may end up at Watford. If so, he should look at what has happened to Jeremy Ngakia. Ngakia broke into the West Ham side. Understandably, he was perhaps annoyed at then being offered £5k a week (according to reports), before he opted to move to Watford on a free. If he had kept up his level of performances, West Ham are likely to have offered him improved terms. He would have played under a manager known to nurture young players.

What Ebosele may have gained, leaving a basket-case of a club, he may find that he has joined something similar in terms of on the football pitch. How many managers has Ngakia had? Has he really kicked on or developed? Has anyone at Watford taken the same level of interest as Moyes & the West Ham coaching staff did with him? Look at Ben Foster's criticism of his Watford teammates. It sounds like an environment where a young player can sink rather than swim if there isn't anyone to look out for him/mentor him, vis a Curtis Davies etc.

It remains to be seen whether Rooney stays if the takeover drags on, but he'd probably have been a better person to develop under than at Watford with their serial managerial changes & lack of continuity. In fact, Glenn Murray said on 5live that he couldn't even remember the name of one of the managers he played under when he was on loan at Watford.

Edited by Asanovic70

On 29/03/2022 at 18:01, Jayram said:

I don't think he'll be that much of a miss in all honesty. He has done nothing for us in the the last half dozen games - this move has probably been on his mind for a while plus in my view he is a one trick pony - more often than not he doesn't have an end product to go with that pace. I wish him well but like Plange I reckon we'll be seeing him again in Championship at some point in the next few seasons.

His pace makes him a massive weapon. However, if you take that away then his decision making, passing, crossing, ability to use weaker foot don't make him all that appealing.

Time will tell on Festy.

1 hour ago, CollyerDCFC said:

His pace makes him a massive weapon. However, if you take that away then his decision making, passing, crossing, ability to use weaker foot don't make him all that appealing.

Time will tell on Festy.

His pace makes him a massive weapon.

The way he downed tools and was subsequently dropped in our hour of need, also makes him a massive weapon.

Shame he left, but Ebiowei is better.