If you won £300m on the Lottery

SamUltraRam

This may have been done before but if you won the jackpot & made an offer to the administrators to buy Derby County, how would you deal with things afterwards ?

Think I would get the club & put some by to look after the infrastructure, gift the ground and training facilities to some kind of supporters trust but not be keen on funding future player deals/wages - that would have to self financing

Comedy replies are welcome, plus sensible ones

Edited by SamUltraRam

I think I'd support a take-over by some outfit like Andy Appleby's, putting in whatever was required to make their bid high enough to pay off all existing creditors, to try to restore the club's reputation, buy back the Stadium and Training Ground, take the risk of fighting Boro & Wycombe through Arbitration if the EFL aren't going to grow a pair, in exchange for a Golden Share that would be held by a truly democratic and representative supporters trust, which would enable them to block any material changes or asset sales that weren't in the club's or fans best interest, with a proviso also that any profit on future sale of the club had to split with the Trust who would be empowered to use that money in support of community initiatives in the County.

Just off the top of me head. I'm sure it wouldn't be that simple ?

i would look to run the club within it's means while aiming for success on the field.  Pay off all debts and take no further loans.  Quality staff members in every position would be a priority.  Do away with executive boxes, all attending fans would be equal.  Consider myself caretaker and the fans being the real owners of the club.  Allow only football on the field, no politics or special interests of any kind, except to honor Rams of past distinction.  For starters.

I’d make sure my family and friends were all ok first, and then spunk £200m on dodgy footballers and managers, high fees and high wages, with big and frequent u-turns, before thinking duck that anymore, then spend the rest of my years fearing a knock on the door, living on my own remote from family and friends.

The first condition of providing enough money to get us through to new owners would be anonymity plus season tickets in perpetuity for me, young ilkley and the people around us who haven’t moved since PP opened.

The second condition would be that I would have nothing more to do with running the club. We have too many bad examples of fans running football clubs to make that a good proposition. I would just sit back and enjoy our future success.

15 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I’d make sure my family and friends were all ok first, and then spunk £200m on dodgy footballers and managers, high fees and high wages, with big and frequent u-turns, before thinking duck that anymore, then spend the rest of my years fearing a knock on the door, living on my own remote from family and friends.

Would you also change your name to Mel? 

11 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I think I'd support a take-over by some outfit like Andy Appleby's, putting in whatever was required to make their bid high enough to pay off all existing creditors, to try to restore the club's reputation, buy back the Stadium and Training Ground, take the risk of fighting Boro & Wycombe through Arbitration if the EFL aren't going to grow a pair, in exchange for a Golden Share that would be held by a truly democratic and representative supporters trust, which would enable them to block any material changes or asset sales that weren't in the club's or fans best interest, with a proviso also that any profit on future sale of the club had to split with the Trust who would be empowered to use that money in support of community initiatives in the County.

Just off the top of me head. I'm sure it wouldn't be that simple ?

Like you I would pay off debts, buy back the stadium and gift all to a democratic not-for profit supporters trust with top-notch board to run it. I would pay whatever necessary to legally shut down claims from the dark side to save the whole of football. I would also sue the EFL and MM for whatever. My only selfish act as a condition of said gift would be a few seats and parking spaces for my nearest and dearest forever and my favourites such as Stimac, Baiano, Bobby D and Chris Martin have to sit next to me for at least one match a season

To buy Derby County outright? Nah, too much stress for me in running a football club!

What I would do is give 10% of my winnings to sort out the ground and provide "proof of funds" for the rest of the season in exchange for a directors box for life... then invite random fellow fans to join me at home games. Then hopefully one of our 'bidders' will have the rest sorted in time for next season. One can dream, eh? 

Edited by Black ('n' White) Sheep

32 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

That's the spirit : take a leaf out of Cloughie's book - match Mel's "achievements" but "do it better". 

I would fund 100% debt removal, buy the ground, and put both ground and training facilities into trust. All player wages would be hugely reduced to around 60% of turnover. Ticket prices would reduce. Club to be professionally managed, no dabbling from the owners!

Then I would campaign for a similar model across the EFL, no more egos allowed to run clubs at a loss.