The Administration Thread

Boycie

6 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Someone like Ashley isn't going to put in an appearance at PP unless and until he's announced, at the very least, to be named as the preferred bidder. To do otherwise would make him look foolish and he certainly isn't that.

Not to say he may have had one of his minions in attendance - I'm sure few if any of us know what they look like.

minions GIF

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

I am, like many, no apologist for the EFL - they have consistently shown themselves to be incompetent - but they cannot 'just' be abolished.  They are a members' club whose rules and regulations are agreed upon by the members, so it is the members that will have to agree their abolition (and no doubt their rules will insist on a certain majority of members voting for such a change).  So replacing them with an 'independent regulator' or abolishing them is not likely to happen, nor to make that much difference in the short term even if it were to happen.

If, instead, you add an additional organisation - the independent regulator - you then have to ask and answer a whole series of other questions.  Does it regulate the amateur and the professional game (broadly the current job of the FA); does it regulate the EFL clubs and the PL clubs (thereby impacting the PL's role) or the EFL clubs only; which areas of football does it regulate - does it govern the rules of the game, for example, or just the financial management of professional clubs, does it govern the appointment of owners, does it negotiate TV and other contracts and the distribution of those monies, does it agree the FFP rules or the discipline of players or both; is it affiliated in any way to UEFA or FIFA - does it have to recognise UEFA and FIFA's roles in competitions and the way in which the game operates, for example, so if UEFA agrees a change in FFP rules across European clubs, does the regulator have to apply those rules?

We do have to have organisations that run the game - to agree fixtures, formally agree the seasons' outcomes by promotion and relegation, agree the rules of the game, appoint, manage and train referees/linos, discipline clubs and players etc etc.  If we have an independent regulator we have to decide whether they are the football equivalent of the Bank of England or the FCA or Ofsted or the General Medical Council or the Care Quality Commission - all of which operate in different ways in their fields - or something football specific.

The very best solution would be that the EFL becomes better at running the game, that its rules are better and applied better, that its senior executives are better in terms of the leadership and vision that they show, that they run the sport and their organisation better.  The reason that we are talking about an independent regulator at all is because they are currently broadly incompetent. But an independent regulator is not necessarily the whole answer, however much we dislike Parry and his incompetent fellows. They may not even be a better answer.

The Government will remove the Football League's (and Premier league's) regulatory powers and instead create an independent regulator. Football clubs are community assets and there is every reason for the Government to do this... not least becasue a Parliamentary sub committee has already put the EFL on notice of this after the Bury debacle. It had the chance to "heal thyself", and it has spectacularly failed to take that chance.

Then we had the Tracey Crouch fan-led review and the clear indicators from Government ministers now are that the Government is minded to accept this.

But I do take your point, be careful what we wish for and an independent regulator on itself is not a panacea for all of footbal's ills.

13 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

But I do take your point, be careful what we wish for and an independent regulator on itself is not a panacea for all of footbal's ills.

This. "independent" means what? Independent of football, the clubs, something else? 

Could have a regulatory body comprising Dido harding, cressida dick, Chris grayling and Prince Harry. 

Would be utterly useless, but independent. ?

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

You need to brush up on your history ilkleyram.

On June 15, 1215, King John met the English Barons at Runnymede on the Thames to write and sign the Magna Carta, In this "charta" King John stipulates that "in any sporting event today or in ye future the Royal who sits on ye throne shall have the power to anull or disband any organisation that is ye seen to discriminate againd ye towns peoples"

So Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the 2nd holds all the cards.

Yeah, but she has Covid

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Thoughts? Let us know in the comments below.

That was the last comment in the article.

I then made the mistake of scrolling through adverts ranging from teeth straightening to hair implants to read said comments. 

When I got to about page 7 without sign of any comments then gave up. 

Am happy to give my comments but imagine they would be banned from this site. 

My only thought is that this isn't news is it? If you need your  teeth straightening, ask Phil Foden's mum she will do it for you.

7 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

This. "independent" means what? Independent of football, the clubs, something else? 

Could have a regulatory body comprising Dido harding, cressida dick, Chris grayling and Prince Harry. 

It means they don't have a Boro guy on the Board. It means there is no one who represents the interests of other clubs who could benefit from one club being punished. Like Millwall could have Sibley playing for them instead of against  them if EFL had forced us to sell players whatever the price . And so on.  

Birch said they asked people with conflicts of interest to leave the room when Derby County comes up on the agenda. Which means really every EFL Board member  should leave the room. Especially as EFL were threatened with being sued by Boro if they didnt take action against us. 

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I said a few weeks back when the light finally shone of the status of the Boro and Wycombe claims that depressing as it was for us Rams fans, it would also mark the death knell of the EFL 'in its current guise'. Whilst I agree with much of what you say, I still believe this to be true. At very least I think that Birch and Parry must now consider their positions. If they've not brought the League into disrepute, they've come very close to doing so and trust in the current board and the credibility of the EFL as a whole has been irreparably damaged.

With this in mind, they need to stand down before the are pushed, if only to clearly demonstrate that there is a genuine will for change and to manage the game we all love in a more equitable and transparent manner. Protecting their own interests in the way they have and to the detriment of the League they serve is inexcusable and needs addressing sooner rather than later. Parry should accept his pay-off and step aside without fuss, something he's been very happy to do on numerous occasions over the years.

There may well be organisational changes @86 Hair Islands, as I've suggested below, but I'm not convinced that Parry or Birch think that they've done much wrong - certainly Parry's emails reported on here don't suggest that there's any mea culpa at work in the board room of the EFL and not much suggestion that they think that trust or credibility is in short supply.  We DCFC fans may think so but that's different.  It will depend upon what the clubs think and I don't see much evidence yet that there's a widely held view that they think that much wrong has happened - there may well be some disappointment that the EFL have spent large amounts of money on lawyers and defending their position but that's a long way from 'disrepute' or pushing two executives out. In fact Parry will argue that the money spent was largely down to us refusing to accept the EFL position. Just look at the problems the PL had in replacing their CEO/Chairman.  High calibre replacements for both Parry and Birch won't be easily come by

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I think there will be an independent regulator, a bit like OFWAT or OFCOM. 

We could call it (F)OFEFL.  

I think you're probably right @angieram that that is what the Government have in mind (though not about the name).  But that doesn't mean that the EFL is 'toast' just that it is inspected (at one level of the independent regulator scale) at certain intervals and held to certain standards.  The powers of the IR will be what will govern the level and style of their potential interference and there are and will be many different views on that

34 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

The Government will remove the Football League's (and Premier league's) regulatory powers and instead create an independent regulator. Football clubs are community assets and there is every reason for the Government to do this... not least becasue a Parliamentary sub committee has already put the EFL on notice of this after the Bury debacle. It had the chance to "heal thyself", and it has spectacularly failed to take that chance.

Then we had the Tracey Crouch fan-led review and the clear indicators from Government ministers now are that the Government is minded to accept this.

That was one of the points I was making @PistoldPete but for all the Government's 'putting on notice' and the failures of the EFL (not the PL) in our case I don't think they will find it easy to remove the EFL and PL's regulatory powers, community assets or not.  The PL for one will not want any of their powers removed and will resist it; the FA will see their influence reduced by an independent regulator (it's interesting that there have been suggestions that the FA effectively become the IR) and will resist it; the EFL cannot just cease to exist, whatever the Government might think or want, unless its members agree.  I think that some kind of external/independent of the PL/EFL/FA regulator probably will come in, but I'm not convinced that will necessarily or quickly make football administration better, nor do I think that the EFL will be toast

8 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Is a good point.  I would guess that the Government have in mind some kind of Off-footie with no club/EFL/FA/PL representatives on it so that it is completely independent, probably reporting to the Sec of State for culture, media and sport.  That certainly doesn't make the EFL toast and whether it is effective rather than just another layer of bureaucracy is a whole different matter.

6 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

With the FA and EFL being associate members of EUFA and FIFA the government won't have much power even if it introduces an independent panel. There are other instances were the government have said "heal yourself" or we will do something about it but little has been done,they like to talk big but in reality nothing comes of it. Why should the taxpayers pay for another quango.