Staying up this season would be a greater achievement than winning the English League title.

Rambam

We need play off form from a squad that is built up with academy players and freebies, no natural goalscorer to lead the line and a manager with little experience.

Now we're being told the new owner(s) are likely to be in place by the back end of January.

Staying up would quite simply be an incredible achievement, one that I don't think anyone truly believes would be possible.

Many fans had written us off long before the deductions were in place, didn't even want Rooney as manager.

Not sure how you go about comparing it to winning the league, but this would feel more special given we're up against the odds.

Even if we can get to the last few games with a chance, it would be an incredible feat.

The players and Rooney have the opportunity to pull off something very special here.

Err..no! 45 points will quite often keep you up in this league.Add on the 21 points and we'd need to get about 66 points...which would normally result in finishing in 9th/ 10th position.I think we've achieved this total and more in about 4-5 times in the last 7 seasons.So no I don't think finishing in 9th spot in the second tier remotely compares with being crowned the Champions of England...twice.

I nervously clicked on the comments under our match report on the BBC website last night.

The vast majority of comments at that time were from fans of all sorts of different clubs wishing us well and hoping we do it. 

People want to believe and the more the fans get behind the team, the more the players will think they can do it too. Rooney already thinks we can and that's good enough for me.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

Err..no! 45 points will quite often keep you up in this league.Add on the 21 points and we'd need to get about 66 points...which would normally result in finishing in 9th/ 10th position.I think we've achieved this total and more in about 4-5 times in the last 7 seasons.So no I don't think finishing in 9th spot in the second tier remotely compares with being crowned the Champions of England...twice.

That would still be 45 points from the next 28 games - equivalent to 74 points over a season - with a team backed by many for relegation without a points deduction.

3 hours ago, Archied said:

Imagine having a ticket for the last game of the season ( this season) , Derby need and get a result to stay up , hard to imagine that that would not be right up there with the greats of following Derby in my lifetime which includes winning the title twice?‍♂️

If that happened the EFL would give us that extra 3 point deduction probably

Hi

Bournemouth supporter here and congratulations on the win yesterday. Should have been a draw but that's not what I came on here for.

In 2008-09 we were on zero points after 19 games - having started on -17. We were also under a transfer embargo, were struggling to pay players and had a  team with several on-league and out-of-contract recruits. For us the rest is History as Eddie Howe stepped up from youth team coach on 1st  January, lost his first 2 games but we stayed up on 46 points. 
OK! OK! I know it was League 2, and you don't want a Bournemouth history lesson. My point simply is - it can be done. Your home support may just help -it was pretty impressive yesterday.

Hope you manage it.

Good luck.

35 minutes ago, cherry exile said:

Hi

Bournemouth supporter here and congratulations on the win yesterday. Should have been a draw but that's not what I came on here for.

In 2008-09 we were on zero points after 19 games - having started on -17. We were also under a transfer embargo, were struggling to pay players and had a  team with several on-league and out-of-contract recruits. For us the rest is History as Eddie Howe stepped up from youth team coach on 1st  January, lost his first 2 games but we stayed up on 46 points. 
OK! OK! I know it was League 2, and you don't want a Bournemouth history lesson. My point simply is - it can be done. Your home support may just help -it was pretty impressive yesterday.

Hope you manage it.

Good luck.

A draw!!!! What planet are you from???

Oh, but thanks for all the other stuff.

1 hour ago, cherry exile said:

Hi

Hope you manage it.

Good luck.

Welcome.

can we send you an invoice for overspending when you went up to the Prem.  It was rather unsportsmanlike and to be honest we need the cash at the moment.

Mind you, the linesman having an off day not seeing our off side player for our winning goal does go a little towards settling the matter.

let us win at yours and we’ll call it quits ?

I think our only saving grace is that it looks like a year where 40-45 points will keep you up based on performance so far. Can we win 15 games to give us a chance? Probably not. Realistically we’d need about 17 wins.
Effectively we need a run of 5/6 wins now to give us a chance of being in the mix and some investment in January. 
We’d need to go on one hell of a run though. 

6 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

I think our only saving grace is that it looks like a year where 40-45 points will keep you up based on performance so far. Can we win 15 games to give us a chance? Probably not. Realistically we’d need about 17 wins.
Effectively we need a run of 5/6 wins now to give us a chance of being in the mix and some investment in January. 
We’d need to go on one hell of a run though. 

Sadly it's currently tracking at 46 compared to last season but could easily swing back in our favour..

We're currently 2.2 points off the safety pace if we only apply 18/46th's of our points deduction to the current standings.

18/46 x -21 points = -8.2 points applicable to an 18 game table.

We need to pick slightly and hope Hull, Barnsley & Peterborough maintain or worsen their 18-game form over the rest of the season.

It's unlikely, but certainly not impossible.