Staying up this season would be a greater achievement than winning the English League title.

Rambam

If we stay up this season it will be a remarkable achievement don’t  get me wrong, but for me, becoming the League Champions for the first time tops it. 

A very good Arsenal team had done an almost unprecedented double the year before and Leeds boasted a team of 11 current international players every week at the time, much disliked, they were a formidable team and Shanks was getting close to making Liverpool a force to be reckoned with.

So topping the table with those illustrious teams behind us was a big deal indeed. If we weren’t skint I think it would have been a nice gesture of the club to give the surviving players some kind of memento to celebrate that achievement but we are where we are and times are hard, more’s the pity. 

One simple way to look at it.  

Split the season into 2 halves..

To match last season we need 44.

We start -21 

We are currently 2 points ahead of last seasons halfway total with 5 games to play

So our net deficit is now -19 with 5 games to improve it

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

I didn't think there was an English League Title anymore unless that's a new invention?

Surely you mean the Premier League title?

But anyway.....

My understanding of the thread title was a reference to, and comparison with, our previous achievement(s) in relation to winning the big prize?

I too, could be wrong, natch!  ?‍♂️

It's the hope that kills you. 

If we don't have an owner in by January, with the administrators in charge of player sales, we could be lucky to have any kind of semblance of a squad. I wouldn't worry too much about Championship survival and just hope that we can navigate the next month or two with our squad (as it is) still in tact and a new owner.

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We need to average 1.64 points per game for the rest of the season just to get to 46 and have a chance of staying up. That's equivalent to 75/76 points in a full campaign - usually the points total required to get 6th spot. Then factor in we were many people's favourites for relegation this season even before the points deduction(s).

Maybe on par with sneaking into the top 6 on the final day of the season, then fluking a last minute winner in the playoff final.

But averaging 1.64 points per game is not the same as averaging it over a whole season . If we hit a purple patch, like we did last year only for longer this year who knows. But really I think January transfer window is only likely to weaken the squad given our financial woes. And that really would make it impossible if it isn’t already,

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That would still be 45 points from the next 28 games - equivalent to 74 points over a season - with a team backed by many for relegation without a points deduction.

I think the pre season odds assumed we would get a points deduction. Not 21 points  though that’s true.

6 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

I think the pre season odds assumed we would get a points deduction. Not 21 points  though that’s true.

Agreed.  They knew something was coming.
Didn't they even hold back on the odds at first, for a week or so, when odds for every other team were offered?  Clearly waiting to see what deduction we got, but gave up waiting in the end, and just made us favourites for relegation?

I can see it now. We survive on the last day, with some incredible form. Our secure championship status sparks loads of investment in the summer, and we ride the crest of that wave all the way to the top of the league, get promoted to the premier league, and just keep on riding that wave to unending success and glory. 

it’s going to happen guys, trust me. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

I can see it now. We survive on the last day, with some incredible form. Our secure championship status sparks loads of investment in the summer, and we ride the crest of that wave all the way to the top of the league, get promoted to the premier league, and just keep on riding that wave to unending success and glory. 

And we change our emblem to a pink (just for B4) unicorn. ?

11 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

image.thumb.jpeg.c27904e054ca474201bcdedae17275f0.jpeg

On 22/11/2021 at 16:04, Tyler Durden said:

I didn't think there was an English League Title anymore unless that's a new invention?

Surely you mean the Premier League title?

But anyway.....

Clearly I’m referring to us being English League Champions. We have never won The Premier League, or the Premiership as it was known previously.