Liam Thompson

Day

1 hour ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I am really pleased. Not much hype about him prior to him starting today and I haven’t seen him before. He looked like he’d been playing for years. It’s great when these lads come in and hold their own.

…I read quite a bit about him. He was described to me as “Sammy Lee-esque ” and having seen him I can see why:

1. Great balance and low centre of gravity.

2. 2-footed and great passer.

3. Tough tackler

4. Very mobile. 

5. was not phased by being with experienced pros. Played without fear and great fire and tenacity.

Academy keeps delivering. Really impressive debut. 

Edited by Ellafella

9 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Under the new business plan

Can someone please clarify the new rules to me, there’s been so much conjecture and rumour that I’m not sure what to believe!

Can we use as many academy players as we want or is there still that ‘established player’ rule? 

Jamie ward converted to a centre mid ain't he. In looks and tenacity. Great debut. Didn't look out of place in the slightest and didn't give the ball away at all.

Hopefully a bright future awaits. Start him against Fulham?

25 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

His performance was immense. I’m sure he completed every single pass successfully, received the ball in close quarters, got loads of touches and was not only the pick of our midfielders but of every midfielder on the pitch

Agree it was a super debut. Here are the teams passing stats :-

D65674A5-F034-4B2E-B031-38C50CF813ED.png

422502BD-E8D0-4965-9D85-A832FA4FCFDB.png

BBFFE835-9546-4215-85B3-24824B559AE9.png

6 minutes ago, Taribo said:

Can someone please clarify the new rules to me, there’s been so much conjecture and rumour that I’m not sure what to believe!

Can we use as many academy players as we want or is there still that ‘established player’ rule? 

We can have 25 permitted players, a permitted player is anyone who has started 3+ Champ (or higher) games.

So if I remember right, we have 5 'spaces' as the likes of McDonald, Hutchinson, Watson & now Thompson havent started 3+

Edited by DCFC1388

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

We can have 25 permitted players, a permitted player is anyone who has started 3+ Champ (or higher) games.

So if I remember right, we have 5 'spaces' as the likes of McDonald, Hutchinson, Watson & now Thompson havent started 3+

Argument to be had for just giving any academy players 2 starts then bringing them on as a sub after 1 minute in future games that you want them to start?

#loophole

5 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Argument to be had for just giving any academy players 2 starts then bringing them on as a sub after 1 minute in future games that you want them to start?

#loophole

I’m pretty sure a ‘start’ will be included as an appearance coming on before the 65th minute.

2 hours ago, 24Charlie said:

Yes indeed. 
A pocket Shinnie. That youth is tiny.

It was funny seeing him next to CKR at the end, he was kind of mid chest level. .. 

Hugely impressed .. lots of stuff that I will ramble about in a minute but the absolute first thing is that he knows that moving the ball quickly messes up the most organised tactics or system. One touch pass on the bounce .. you can’t counter that, it breaks lines.

Terrier, ratter, nice quick feet, prefers the forward ball but intelligent enough to know you can’t do that all the time. Neat, quick. Didn’t notice any particular long range passing put the short and simple was spot on. I think he brought genuine balance to our midfield. Shinnie is a bit box to box but has been given a bit of a DM’s watching brief. Knight is a bit right sided with attacking intent and Liam sits nicely between the two. 

How does Ravel fit ? Gifted player and with assets of his own. For me he might be an alternative to Lawrence rather than having them in the same team,

Hey, wherever we end up it’s going to make some interesting footy conversations.. There will be pressures on Knight, Bird and Festy .. they will be tempted .. they are young guys with an abundance of talent .. we might lose them if we go to league 1 .. but if the likes of Thompson,Watson, Cashin, Sibley and others remain then we will have a young dynamic team with something serious to offer and well worth watching. It’s going to be hard over the next 9 months but I see a future and I see some fun mixed with the angst 

52 minutes ago, Carnero said:

#loophole

3 apps as per the date the agreement was made. So LThompson can make as many apps as he wants now and not count.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I've never doubted his ability but had questions over how he'd handle the physicality of the Championship.

I don’t think many ill still have the same concern after that performance.

It wasn't against a typical physical Championship team tbf

People are basing it on how he'd perform against a team built by Warnock, McCarthy or someone else of their ilk 

Edited by Coconut's Beard

Okay, this might go down well as it won't fit to people's narrative here... but I just have to be annoying little bamford again.

Yet again, sterling job from our scouting team! They've managed to unearth one hell of a prospect, this time from Dunkirk. 

One more name to the ever growing list of handpicked, "own" youths. Keep on building the bright future of our first team, scouts!

Harry Potter Lol GIF by Sky

1 hour ago, Orphanram said:

Even though the praise has been fulsome of Liam’s debut , I actually feel it’s being a bit underplayed by some (which might not be a bad thing). His performance was immense. I’m sure he completed every single pass successfully, received the ball in close quarters, got loads of touches and was not only the pick of our midfielders but of every midfielder on the pitch Given we were playing a team who could have gone top, with a comfortable gap to third place speaks volumes. 

Other than Max Bird being the best midfielder on the pitch today I agree with all of that.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He seemed to win a few battles with 6'4" Billing though 

Absolutely.

TBH I don't know if Billing is just a tall wimp like Huddlestone or a physically dominant CM.

Thompson is tenacious and seems to position his body well so that even when it looks like he's about to be outmuscled and has lost control of it he somehow turns away with the ball.

I was thinking of teams who bypass the midfield almost entirely, or those set up to take advantage of every trick in the book who fall over and get a free kicks when an opposition breathes on them but somehow get away with manhandling an opponent.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

Billing is an utter poohouse. Hand in faces when carrying the ball, leaving his foot in, constantly kicking the ball away (got booked for it) second half for our throw they kicked the ball and he gestures to control it and then pulls his foot away at the last minute to waste time. Constantly in the refs ear.

Glad he was on the losing side today.

5 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Absolutely.

TBH I don't know if Billing is just a tall wimp like Huddlestone or a physically dominant CM.

Thompson is tenacious and seems to position his body well so that even when it looks like he's about to be outmuscled and has lost control of it he somehow turns away with the ball.

I was thinking of teams who bypass the midfield almost entirely, or those set up to take advantage of every trick on the book who fall over and get a free kicks when an opposition breathes on them but somehow get away with manhandling an opponent.

That body thing with small guys is important. Dwayne Holmes had it and I think Louie Watson has it. Liam certainly does !