Bournemouth (H) Matchday Thread

ThePrisoner

13 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Look on the bright side, if we still have a cat1 academy, we can have DCFC Vs DCFC u23s in the EFL Trophy. My money's on the u23s, but could go either way.

U23 sides are invited to the competition based on league position of the first team. Most U23 sides would have to turn the invite down for our first team to play the U23s - it's rare for more than 2 to reject it.

16 hours ago, IslandExile said:

If you're preparing for League One - or whatever - you still have to have a blend of experience and youth.

Cashin will learn a lot more playing alongside Jagielka or Davies than he will having Brown as a partner.

Kids alone would just get thrashed week in, week out and it would destroy them.

Thing is are Jagielka or Davies going to be here next season? 

To a large extent we need to focus on developing the younger players so they are ready to hit the ground running next season as it's likely they will form a large section of our squad. 

I will concede though you've got a point about learning more from a player like Jagielka or Davies in the side and trying to preserve confidence. But I think we want to go with something close to the line up I laid out with perhaps bolstering a position or two with an experienced player were we look a little weak.

16 hours ago, r4derby said:

I get the idea, but there is no way that team would survive in league 1. We’re going to need to have at least half the team made up of experienced battlers. I agree with the sentiment of giving our own young players game time, to get them ready for more involvement, but that would be 5 steps too far. 

Whether they'd survive or not in league 1 is hard say to be honest. In my opinion it's a talented group of young players who several have demonstrated they can cut in this league and a few more have shown signs that they could cut never mind the league below. I don't expect that will be the line up we start with next season but I'd be far from surprised if we don't see somewhere between 6-8 of them starting come opening day.

The problem with filling the team with experienced battlers is that none in the current squad are guaranteed to be here next season and the signings we are going to be make will be for the type of players who are experienced in league 1 for a reason. You risk basically bogging down the squad with players who get you to no more than ordinary in league 1 because that's all they've ever been as players, with the academy players it's a different equation because they can very well show to be more than that.

If nothing else laying them out like that you can start to see the gaps that probably need to be bolstered and to an extent you learn more by playing them and seeing if they can cut in this league whilst there is effectively nothing on the line. I just don't want to see us waste this next 6 months or so on players who aren't going to be here when we can use the time productively to make sure we are as ready as possible come next season.

3 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Thing is are Jagielka or Davies going to be here next season? 

To a large extent we need to focus on developing the younger players so they are ready to hit the ground running next season as it's likely they will form a large section of our squad. 

I will concede though you've got a point about learning more from a player like Jagielka or Davies in the side and trying to preserve confidence. But I think we want to go with something close to the line up I laid out with perhaps bolstering a position or two with an experienced player were we look a little weak.

The point is the likes of Cashin will learn more playing alongside Jagielka or Davies. The older pros will be coaching the youngsters throughout the game.

Preparation isn't just getting game time, it's about being coached.

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

The point is the likes of Cashin will learn more playing alongside Jagielka or Davies. The older pros will be coaching the youngsters throughout the game.

Preparation isn't just getting game time, it's about being coached.

It's a fair point, one I wasn't really considering in that line up and I think you are probably right.

I still think we want to be relatively close to something like that line up though as I think it will give the best most benefit in the longer term.

Got to start going with a team structure that could be here next year now... an experienced spine surrounded by youth. Bench some of the regulars with the view of getting what we can for them in Jan. My starting lineup:

Allsop
McDonald  Stearman  Davies  Buchanan
                Knight  Shinnie  Bird
             Ebosele  Kazim  Plange

Subs: Roos, Forsyth, Jagielka, Jozwiak, Baldock, Sibley, Stretton

424 go for it, nothing to lose. Get beat so what, let’s bomb forward, attack attack, attack, do or die, he who dare wins. COME ON YOU RAMS ?

Roos

Byrne.  Jag Davies  Buchanan

Bird  Shinnie                        

Ebosele   Kazim-Richards Stretton  Knight 

It's nonsense preparing for L1 now when we've still got a slim chance of survival. As a priority, we should be making sure that we at least don't end up with another unwanted record i.e the lowest points total ever in the Championship. After that, and when relegation is confirmed, we can experiment, but we'll still be required to field close to our strongest side lest we end up on ANOTHER charge.

Roos
Festy Jags Davies Buchanan
   Knight  Shinnie  Bird
    Lawrence     Sibley
           Baldrick/CKR 

Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree, how lovely are your branches!

Unsure who starts up top, I’d be tempted to give them a half each!

Edited by Ramarena

30 odd games left. Ridiculous that we talk about chucking games,  playing understrength teams, messing about using academy players who aren't yet ready.

Play your strongest team but with attacking intent, positive formations and go out for wins.  A few more wins instead of draws and we may have stood more of a chance now! 

Least get to January before we even consider accepting we are planning for League 1.

First target is to get to zero, then positive points,  then beat our own record worst season, then see if we are within touching distance of 2nd bottom. 

On 17/11/2021 at 12:04, brady1993 said:

Whether they'd survive or not in league 1 is hard say to be honest. In my opinion it's a talented group of young players who several have demonstrated they can cut in this league and a few more have shown signs that they could cut never mind the league below. I don't expect that will be the line up we start with next season but I'd be far from surprised if we don't see somewhere between 6-8 of them starting come opening day.

The problem with filling the team with experienced battlers is that none in the current squad are guaranteed to be here next season and the signings we are going to be make will be for the type of players who are experienced in league 1 for a reason. You risk basically bogging down the squad with players who get you to no more than ordinary in league 1 because that's all they've ever been as players, with the academy players it's a different equation because they can very well show to be more than that.

If nothing else laying them out like that you can start to see the gaps that probably need to be bolstered and to an extent you learn more by playing them and seeing if they can cut in this league whilst there is effectively nothing on the line. I just don't want to see us waste this next 6 months or so on players who aren't going to be here when we can use the time productively to make sure we are as ready as possible come next season.

@IslandExile has already shared a similar line of thought to me. I agree with you that you wouldn’t a team of experienced battlers blocking the pathway of our talented youth players. But a blend is going to be essential. Play the older heads that are going to be here next season, while giving the youth a chance more often. Having a Shinnie alongside Bird gives him more time to pass and create, for example.

3 hours ago, r4derby said:

@IslandExile has already shared a similar line of thought to me. I agree with you that you wouldn’t a team of experienced battlers blocking the pathway of our talented youth players. But a blend is going to be essential. Play the older heads that are going to be here next season, while giving the youth a chance more often. Having a Shinnie alongside Bird gives him more time to pass and create, for example.

It's more that I think most of the older heads currently here won't be next season; a fair few are likely to retire and the ones that don't are likely to leave. Although I concede the point that's it worth sprinkling experienced players in still this season to help bed the younger players in better. 

It's a bit of an aside but in general I think Bird gets less time on the ball playing alongside Shinnie than he would with a lot of other midfielders.