Alan Nixon Breaks Silence on American Billionaire Bid

Kernow

34 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Well, the way I see it is what’s the point of a billionaire owning a championship club? He canna spend big without breaking the FFP again.

As soon as the millionaire reaches the prem he sells it to a billionaire. 
That’s football business, and what Mel would have done.

Very good point, well made ??

If fans want a sustainable football club you don't need a billionaire. 

Although being sustainable and competitive isn't that easy, still not sure the patience is there for that kind of model either if I'm honest.

We'll see, but I think a lot of fans don't actually have any real interest in being sustainable, just frustrated how money has been spent recently and looking to avoid a repeat of the situation we are in now. Understandable.

The ambition to be in the Premier League is still there, attendances reflect that and I won't deny it, I'm one of them. I want to see this club in the top flight and won't apologise for that. 

Although the need for a better structure in place to identify the players needed to build a team capable of a promotion push is obvious.

Mel wasn't a billionaire and on reflection didn't need to spend the money he did, so whilst the idea of a billionaire sounds all sexy and exciting, it's not what is really needed at this club right now.

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

If it turns out that there is more than one interested party at the end of the due diligence process (ie people haven’t been scared off), do you think the administrators will just plump for the party with the most cash (I’m assuming the asking price will be the same whoever is bidding) or will they determine who would be the ‘best fit’ to run the club in the long term?  
Obviously a moot point if it comes down to a bidding war, but if there’s more than one who can meet the asking price, I wonder what the criteria will be.

Very good question. It's all a bit like a job interview...you get asked questions and you have to answer with evidence of your suitability. I suspect it'll be about the amount of £ leverage-ability plus issues of vision & sustainability. In other words the Administrators will have to come to a systematic judgement as to who is the "best fit" for the long-term for Derby County. 

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

If it turns out that there is more than one interested party at the end of the due diligence process (ie people haven’t been scared off), do you think the administrators will just plump for the party with the most cash (I’m assuming the asking price will be the same whoever is bidding) or will they determine who would be the ‘best fit’ to run the club in the long term?  
Obviously a moot point if it comes down to a bidding war, but if there’s more than one who can meet the asking price, I wonder what the criteria will be.

Could develop into a minor bidding war for an extra £5 million quid. Does a higher bid get the club.

I'm very skeptical.

He is clearly the first to strike and is trying to win over the fans.

There will hopefully be more interested parties and some with more evident wealth.

Just my opinion, but if he was the real deal he would save his talking for when the deal is done.

We have to remember that if this is what Cook is bringing to the party, remember who he introduced to Wigan.

Aside from whoever this guy is, is the fact the EFL are (based on what he is saying) demanding proof of £100 million in liquidity not a bit concerning? Do they do that with everyone that tries to buy a football club?

It sounds like they are moving the goalposts on a daily basis with us. I am more and more convinced by the day that they want to force one of their founding member clubs out of existence.

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Aside from whoever this guy is, is the fact the EFL are (based on what he is saying) demanding proof of £100 million in liquidity not a bit concerning? Do they do that with everyone that tries to buy a football club?

It sounds like they are moving the goalposts on a daily basis with us. I am more and more convinced by the day that they want to force one of their founding member clubs out of existence.

Is that not the opposite? £100 million might be slightly excessive, but what's the alternative? Somebody takes over without the necessary cash to run us and we end up in the same scenario? I think it's caution, and in our case that isn't a bad thing. 

8 minutes ago, David said:

If fans want a sustainable football club you don't need a billionaire. 

I think the concern is we might need a billionaire to get to the position of being sustainable.  It obviously depends on how much debt gets written off as part of coming out of admin etc, but we need the remaining debt cleared or we're just going to get bogged down with repayments again.  And the last thing we want is more debt piling on the club to actually buy it in the first place (like Burnley, for example).

12 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Feel sorry for him tbh 

i know the det has gone a bit clickbaity and it annoys the hell out of me 

but hes Derby, he gives a crap and for me his match ananlysis is pretty spot on

Same goes for ed dawes too 

Agreed, not his fault people expect news (and everything else) for free these days, so local newspapers have to follow the clickbait model.

Steve Nicholson is as good as he's allowed to be under those constraints - and, apparently, was shut out by the club/Mel.

Not bad for an Everton fan.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Is that not the opposite? £100 million might be slightly excessive, but what's the alternative? Somebody takes over without the necessary cash to run us and we end up in the same scenario? I think it's caution, and in our case that isn't a bad thing. 

I understand that we can't just let anyone bid for the club, but the EFL seem to be using us as a test case for whatever bright idea falls out of their heads at the minute. 

• Demand we show them £13 million in cash to complete the season, cash which they know we don't have
  • Demand that new owners show more liquidity than any other set of owners have ever been asked to show
  • Do all this whilst the EFL allow two other clubs to take legal action against us which is impacting the process
  • Also pursue further penalties in parallel to the administration process regardless of the fact this is having a negative impact
  • Do all this after years of punitive transfer embargoes based on the assumption we have done something wrong as opposed to actually proving it

They dont exactly look like they are trying to help, despite what they keep telling us all.

41 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Bit of credit where it’s due to Steve Nicholson who got his article out before anyone else naming Chris Kirchner.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-takeover-american-administration-6111979

You can feed on the scraps from the hands of Nixon all you like, Team Nicho FTW!

Not sure he did, but he was early (ish).Credit were credit's due.

Pretty sure it was on Sky pre 5pm.

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I understand that we can't just let anyone bid for the club, but the EFL seem to be using us as a test case for whatever bright idea falls out of their heads at the minute. 

• Demand we show them £13 million in cash to complete the season, cash which they know we don't have
  • Demand that new owners show more liquidity than any other set of owners have ever been asked to show
  • Do all this whilst the EFL allow two other clubs to take legal action against us which is impacting the process
  • Also pursue further penalties in parallel to the administration process regardless of the fact this is having a negative impact
  • Do all this after years of punitive transfer embargoes based on the assumption we have done something wrong as opposed to actually proving it

They dont exactly look like they are trying to help, despite what they keep telling us all.

I think the cashflow situation is separate from the other bits personally. As we're a club in crisis in a significant debt to HMRC, it's in my view reasonable to ask for proof of substantial liquidity. Naturally they know we can't produce the £13 million cashflow at present. 

29 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Bit of credit where it’s due to Steve Nicholson who got his article out before anyone else naming Chris Kirchner.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-takeover-american-administration-6111979

You can feed on the scraps from the hands of Nixon all you like, Team Nicho FTW!

Feel for him not getting the credit here, no fault of his own but the Reach business model is killing him out there.

I don't follow him on social media, nothing personal, nor do I even have Derbyshire Live even bookmarked anymore.

It's now quantity over quality repeated throughout the day and let's be honest, the layout of these websites are truly awful now.

We have ads here, we need them to survive and have no problem with them, but when an article is broken up that many times it becomes unreadable.

This isn't just Derbyshire Live, it's all of the Reach network, barely even check our own local site up here now for news as it's full of advertorials and national celebrity tosh scraped from the papers in their network.

Steve Nicholson would have been great at The Athletic, not even great but perfect, I'm sure they still have targets to hit with subscriptions, but could focus more on quality, not turning tweets and he she said this into articles. 

Kinda sad to see journalists have to play the game now.

16 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I concur with you about EFL...but think it's the Administrators who set the bar as proof of £100M as a way of "selecting" and as a sine qua non to buying @JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

6 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Would you mind typing a quick summary - going into a meeting! 

I'm listening now.

Only ever listen to TalkS*ite when there's something DCFC related, and I'm always reminded why I don't listen more. If any radio station could be called clickbait... call bait, instead?

Doing a lovely bit on Walter Smith though.

Edited by Animal is a Ram

14 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Andrew Hosking (one of the Administrators) is on talksport shortly to discuss.

Note that they said this before the announcement came through of Walter Smith's sad passing, so no idea what time he might be on now.

27 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It's the administrators who are insisting on the £100m liquidity, not the EFL.

Edited by Wolfie