Alan Nixon Breaks Silence on American Billionaire Bid

Kernow

47 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

It’s his actions since September that have defined his tenure 

I agree,  I do think parachute payments can be overemphasized. Kieran Maguire described them as 'an inelegant solution' to the real problem which is the financial gap between the second tier (EFL). & PL

With regards to the parachute payments, plenty of clubs have not utilized them well (Middlesbrough anyone?) or they've been used to cushion the huge increase in wages acquired in the PL, which is why they were brought in (I remember the likes of Swindon crashing down the divisons in the mid 90s). Hull got relegated, Huddersfield have finished bottom half. Admittedly, all three relegated sides are in the top top 10, two in the top three & two got promoted last season, a third finishing in the play-offs.

All this talk about independent regulation from Mel just comes across as excuses. Clubs & their owners can or should regulate themselves. The problem in football lies in wages (Simon Jordan) . Clubs don't have to be held to ransom by players, agents or their clubs asking exorbitant fees. Take the signing of Nick Blackman. Six months later he would have been available on a free.

Clubs can develop their own strategies in the absence of a parachute payment. We actually came close to promotion in 2014 by building a team over time (painstaking) made up of home-grown talent, shrewd purchases (Bryson) & smart loans (Thorne).

Mel did not regulate himself when he reportedly went into the dressing room after the draw against Reading. I defended him with regards to some of the ill-luck that seemed to bedevil his tenure, the injuries to Thorne & Hughes &  Covid impacting the club's revenue streams, but there were already problems as shown by Cocu's brief to cut costs & promote youth. He did not have to try & be clever to circumvent the EFL's accounting procedures.

I do not know why the HMRC does not issue the Directors with a personal liability notice regarding the unpaid PAYE debts. It would be unusual but as far as I am aware the HMRC still has the power to do that.

I have seen it done once in my professional life.

Maybe it would stir muddy waters further making a sale even harder but in the end it may be how the HMRC get their money which must make MM and Co's bottoms twitch a little.

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I have about 1% sympathy with Mel here. We’re all hindsight merchants. No one was really complaining when he spent the money. He backed a promotion bid and showed ambition you cannot fault him for that. He didn’t interfere massively with the recruitment strategy just backed his team and his managers (of which there were too many he did get that wrong) to get it right. They got it wrong and badly wrong, so I think it would be harsh to lay all that at Mel’s door.

The disparity of parachute payments meant we needed to spend money to compete, with better regulation and a more even playing field would we have avoided the situation we’re in - quite possibly. 

The financial position we are in is no different to the majority of other clubs in the championship trying to compete against the parachute funded teams. Apart from one fundamental difference, the other championship owners are standing behind their debts. Mel either can’t (in which case he should have been more prudent in the first place) or wont, making the sale of the club incredibly difficult and putting the future of the club in severe jeopardy, at best being relegated and set back a few years at worst extinct. 

No problem with the action Mel took while running the club and we would all be hypocrites to criticise but walking away with no accountability leaving the club in this state is completely irresponsible and unforgivable. It’s his actions since September that have defined his tenure 

Whatever mistakes made by the recruitment team (and there were many) the ultimate responsibility for those rests with Mel Morris. He was the one signing the cheques. The buck stops with him. 

that said and by the same token there  were lots of things that really were outside his responsibility , or where the ultimate responsibility was elsewhere like the Efl action and COVID . And I think those were the things that really caused our final meltdown. 

I don’t see how being able to objective and reasonable about  all the many factors affecting our troubled position makes you an apologist for Mel Morris. 

Edited by PistoldPete

7 hours ago, i-Ram said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/mel-morris-Derby-county-crouch-6322990

In other news, Mel Morris was asked if he had made mistakes regarding the purchases of such players as Jacob Butterfield, Ikechi Anya and Nick Blackman, and the wages that were approved for them.

”That’s a good question. I have pondered this, and looking back it is clear to me that my Managers and Recruitment Team did not do a good job. But you have to remember that this is against the background that fans were demanding stellar purchases at the time. Then, you have to take into account the role of Huddersfield, Watford and Reading. They were clearly selling players at the top of their careers, at vastly inflated prices. The players agents also were responsible for forcing the salaries up to unbelievable levels, and of course the EFL ratified all the transfers. Even HMRC didn’t guide me that the fees/wages might be out of proportion. In truth only Stephen Pearce offered any constructive support saying we could write the costs down over a 10 year period. So no, I don’t think I made any mistakes personally”.

Read this a good few hours ago, smirked, and immediately added a laughing reaction, in honour of the obvious yet entertaining spoof therein posted.

... Then I come on now, and see that an unsettling number of posters... or should I call them "members"... have spent all afternoon actually taken it as a real quote.

WTAF? 

I now don't know whether to raise my eyes in disbelief, point and laugh at folk, or simply leave this dangerous place they call "Internet" altogether!  ?

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Read this a good few hours ago, smirked, and immediately added a laughing reaction, in honour of the obvious yet entertaining spoof therein posted.

... Then I come on now, and see that an unsettling number of posters... or should I call them "members"... have spent all afternoon actually taken it as a real quote.

WTAF? 

I now don't know whether to raise my eyes in disbelief, point and laugh at folk, or simply leave this dangerous place they call "Internet" altogether!  ?

I'm unsure as to whether it's an indication of members lack of insight or ability to spot a spoof, or rather a sad reminder that Mel's spinning has led many to basically believe he could have said this and for it to be true. 

47 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

WTAF? 

It is an odd place isn’t it. And you want to pay £150 to sit in a box with 9 of them for 4 hours.

Heavy Metal 80S GIF

54 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

WTAF? 

He had me doubting myself when he called me out for my laughing emoji’s. 

Then I remembered who was posting.

54 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

WTAF? 

Ok , guilty as charged I was taken in. And criticised Morris for talking rubbish. Then thought maybe he might have been misquoted. And someone said it was  a total spoof anyway. Haha!

22 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

So tomorrow is the last day for the preferred bidder timeline that the admins set out. 

Will something turn up or will we room into next week?

There must be something in the pipeline or no idea why they would agree to meet up with that BAWT group to just say the same old thing.

That Andy bloke on Twitter, who I'm not sure if he is ITK or talks out his backside, but he us suggesting that Kirchner won't be the preffered bidder, infact he is suggesting we won't hear from Kirchner again.

Even that ever reliable Barry the Ram is saying he won't be the preffered bidder ?

Now we have the "I'm not ITK" bloke dropping ITK bombs about 55 million pound bids.

Sooner or later someone has to be ITK.