Sheffield United v Derby County match day thread

Ruud Aralliss

18 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I wondered why we hadn't heard from @Derby bloodwho does wear his heart on his sleeve. Thanks for stepping in, Ruud.

It's a shame it's away as the administrators won't be getting any gate money in before the end of month payroll. 

A week to nurse tired limbs is probably a good thing, and we should be pleased they play Southampton in the League Cup on Tuesday. If we can hold on to the defiant spirit Rooney has crafted, we should be competitive. Two questions regarding team selection:

1. Whether to play Baldock, or Stretton, or a false number 9? Definitely option 2 or 3 for me.
  2. With Knight having another week, who misses out from Shinnie, Bird, Knight, Ravel, Sibley? One of them won't start.

My expectation is that Rooney will actually pick an unchanged starting 11, as a reward to the team against Stoke for delivering on the win in such difficult circumstances. And that would be understandable.

I think our strongest 11 right now is probably

Roos

Byrne* Jagielka Davies Buchanan

Knight Bird

Sibley Morrison Jozwiak

Lawrence

*Think there is an argument we might be better off with Ebosele

But I think going unchanged is probably the right call as keeping up moral and team spirit right now is vitally important.

7 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Yes and have Sheff U got to post them to Derby and then Derby post them out to the fans? Dark ages indeed!

Mel's sending one of his retired ponies up the A61 as I type.

I bet he forgot the saddlebags though?

Edited by Grumpy Git

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I think our strongest 11 right now is probably

Roos

Byrne* Jagielka Davies Buchanan

Knight Bird

Sibley Morrison Jozwiak

Lawrence

*Think there is an argument we might be better off with Ebosele

But I think going unchanged is probably the right call as keeping up moral and team spirit right now is vitally important.

And this is interesting because, as I said in the Stoke thread, Shinnie was our first player all season to make it into the FotMob/72 Team of the Week. He does a lot of good work that goes unnoticed. If Rooney is still the manager and we still have all our first team squad, selection is gradually becoming harder. Which has to be a good thing.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

And this is interesting because, as I said in the Stoke thread, Shinnie was our first player all season to make it into the FotMob/72 Team of the Week. He does a lot of good work that goes unnoticed. If Rooney is still the manager and we still have all our first team squad, selection is gradually becoming harder. Which has to be a good thing.

I disagree with this part, I actually think a lot of his good work is very very noticeable and often the type of stuff that from a metric aggregator standpoint racks up points. Big thundering tackles, lung bursting runs and ratting around the pitch are all his strengths and all the stuff that fans are drawn to by in large. What tends to go unnoticed is the stuff such his positioning not being the best (more so from an in possesion stand point), his tendancy to shy away from getting on the ball, his first touch not being great and his tendancy to be overly deliberate on the ball.

Also for what it's worth I suspect a big reason why he made the team of the week there has a lot to do with picking up 2 assists on paper.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Has anyone physically got their ticket for Sheffield yet. Ordered mine last Wednesday when they first went on sale and received confirmation email but no ticket yet. They usually arrive within two days.

I'm still waiting for mine as well. I also ordered mine last Wednesday