Sheffield United v Derby County match day thread

Ruud Aralliss

I would frankly be amazed if after the week the players have had, we can find a performance to beat Sheffield. 

Don't forget, we only scored against Stoke through a one-off worldy from Bird and a horrendous misjudgement from their keeper. 

We still find it difficult to score goals. 

That's not going to change before January. 

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I would frankly be amazed if after the week the players have had, we can find a performance to beat Sheffield. 

Don't forget, we only scored against Stoke through a one-off worldy from Bird and a horrendous misjudgement from their keeper. 

You are not thinking about a career in stress management for any reason?

Edited by cstand

17 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

This game will be a REAL test of Rooney's motivational capabilities. 

Last game players would have been angry and in denial about Admin and wanting to fight

By Saturday likely to be acceptance that relegation is inevitable and that fight will have gone.

I really hope Rooney and the lads prove me wrong, 

Small steps.

Step 1. Get into positive points
Step 2. Move above Forest.
Step 3. Get out of the bottom 3.

If results go our way, we could achieve all of that in just 8 and a bit days.
We have up to 8 months to actually achieve it.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

The good news is, no-one finds it easy scoring against us either, unless we present them with a clear opportunity through an error.

I think we all know the team's limitations, particularly in winning matches - but it would be great to remain unbeaten for a spell. That would provide a catalyst to the (quite frankly) startling positivity amongst Rams fans right now.

You need skill and endeavour to get far in life, but it's amazing what endeavour on it's own can achieve.

Rooney will have them fired up, that's for sure.

6 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Morrison did slip in Buchanan and Baldock for great chances, before missing an open goal himself, though.

I think that for as long as our points deductions is 12 points we will continue to try our best with what could be perceived as our first team but if more are allocated then that changes who we would select - integrity of the competition I don’t think so - Stoke wouldn’t be happy if we take 3 points of their season and we put out a much weakened team vs say a QPR twice giving them a comfortable  6 points - we could pick and choose our games to play a stronger side which is quite funny really - you can just imagine it, Rooney tells Jagielka, Davies ,Morrison and Shinnie to have a couple of weeks of in the West Indies over Christmas and the new year with their families.

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I think that for as long as our points deductions is 12 points we will continue to try our best with what could be perceived as our first team but if more are allocated then that changes who we would select - integrity of the competition I don’t think so - Stoke wouldn’t be happy if we take 3 points of their season and we put out a much weakened team vs say a QPR twice giving them a comfortable  6 points - we could pick and choose our games to play a stronger side which is quite funny really - you can just imagine it, Rooney tells Jagielka, Davies ,Morrison and Shinnie to have a couple of weeks of in the West Indies over Christmas and the new year with their families.

Strongest team against Boro and Notts, U11 team against the rest!

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

I think there is an amount of room beyond 12 points we could possibly recover from. The following is some very rough, surface analysis:

Their are currently 4 teams in the league who are averaging 0.88 points per game or less, if they continue like that for the whole season then they end up on 40.25 pts. Beyond that their are a further 3 team averaging a point per game carried out over a season that will mean 46 points. What I suspect this means is that it's very likely this year that the team who finishes 22nd has a points total between those two numbers and that we are looking at a relatively low bar to finish 21st. Something like 44 points could well be enough.

Currently we are sat on -2 and have been averaging 1.25 points per game which would put us at 45.5 come the end of the season and I think we would likely be safe at that points total. What this means is that any further point deduction likely has to be compensated with an improvement in performance. Assuming that 44 is enough here are the rate we'd need to go at for further penalties:

• 0 - 1.21 
  • 3 - 1.29
  • 6 - 1.37
  • 9 - 1.45

In real terms what this roughly means is if we get hit by another 9 point penalty then we need to be picking up an extra point every 5 games which isn't impossible. I don't think it's likely mind especially given that none of this factors in the mental aspect of it and how it affects the players, nor does it factoring in anything going wrong or transfer activity. I just wanted to highlight that given the context of the league that our position as it stands today looks like it's recoverable and it still could be recoverable with a small amount of extra penalty.

6 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think there is an amount of room beyond 12 points we could possibly recover from. The following is some very rough, surface analysis:

Their are currently 4 teams in the league who are averaging 0.88 points per game or less, if they continue like that for the whole season then they end up on 40.25 pts. Beyond that their are a further 3 team averaging a point per game carried out over a season that will mean 46 points. What I suspect this means is that it's very likely this year that the team who finishes 22nd has a points total between those two numbers and that we are looking at a relatively low bar to finish 21st. Something like 44 points could well be enough.

Currently we are sat on -2 and have been averaging 1.25 points per game which would put us at 45.5 come the end of the season and I think we would likely be safe at that points total. What this means is that any further point deduction likely has to be compensated with an improvement in performance. Assuming that 44 is enough here are the rate we'd need to go at for further penalties:

• 0 - 1.21 
  • 3 - 1.29
  • 6 - 1.37
  • 9 - 1.45

In real terms what this roughly means is if we get hit by another 9 point penalty then we need to be picking up an extra point every 5 games which isn't impossible. I don't think it's likely mind especially given that none of this factors in the mental aspect of it and how it affects the players, nor does it factoring in anything going wrong or transfer activity. I just wanted to highlight that given the context of the league that our position as it stands today looks like it's recoverable and it still could be recoverable with a small amount of extra penalty.

If we get to keep him, a fit Bielik is likely to improve our points scoring ratio by at least one point per five games, judging by his contribution last season.

No team has stayed up following a 12 point deduction and our squad is threadbare. At the moment we're really struggling for goals and have won 2 of our 9 games this season. Personally, I think the 12 point deduction is enough to relegate us and if they add a further 9 that looks likely we'll probably finish bottom of the pack. But I'm really looking forward to this game, got my ticket and am ready to cheer the lads on. It'll be a tough one but I think we can muster a point if we're disciplined enough.

34 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

No team has stayed up following a 12 point deduction and our squad is threadbare. At the moment we're really struggling for goals and have won 2 of our 9 games this season. Personally, I think the 12 point deduction is enough to relegate us and if they add a further 9 that looks likely we'll probably finish bottom of the pack. But I'm really looking forward to this game, got my ticket and am ready to cheer the lads on. It'll be a tough one but I think we can muster a point if we're disciplined enough.

You say that about the 12 points and I get it but if you look at in the context of the league right now I think it's actually pretty possible. If things stay how they are right now with no further penalties and teams carry on with the form they've demonstrated so far then we'd actually finish 20th, overtaking the 4 teams immediately above us right now and there would be 3 more teams we'd only narrowly be behind (half a point on average). 

Like it seems wild but there quite a few teams struggling this season so far with a couple really struggling. 

(also it's 2 wins from 8 and only 2 losses in 8 )

Edited by brady1993

Reading are going to cop a points deduction (possibly as much as 9). If the EFL are looking at other teams in the Championship and, I bet they are not whiter than white when it comes to their 'accounting', there could be more teams that could be punished with points being deducted. We could be looking at four teams in a mini league at the bottom with the 'winner' of this staying up. Just a thought but it could happen!

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

• 0 - 1.21 
  • 3 - 1.29
  • 6 - 1.37
  • 9 - 1.45

All in therory but we are still operating on a very restricted squad and the big one is that we still have no goal scorers so gaining those extra points is extremely unlikely 12 points is still unlikely but it would give us something to actually play for