Mel Morris interview on Radio Derby 1pm

Ramos

1 minute ago, sage said:

so if we were only £4m over (4 point penalty) why do the EFL want 9 points plus 3 suspended ? Was that mentioned?

Also did MM day he didn't know why we didn't get the £8.3m or did he refuse to say why?

The 4 points was in the 2017/18 season. I am guessing that we also overspent in 2018/19 and therefore wanted the punishment rolled into 1 rather than being punished twice for the same offence.

Think he said it was down to the non submission of accounts but didn't say much more. 

My guess would be that the EFL wanted confirmation that MM wojld continue to fund the club and he refused to do so.

6 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

I feel sorry for Mel he's spent a fortune trying to get Derby promoted.

He's a Derby fan he did the bounce with the fans.

I could never sing get out of our club like fans did yesterday .

Short memories south stand get of  his back .

We all make mistakes in life and buisness .

I may be one of a few but in my eyes he's one of our own. 

Hi Mel

Can we have our ground back please.

31 minutes ago, Icomeinpeace said:

Sorry yes you're right - I take very much the same approach, it doesn't matter exactly why there's a huge hole in the life raft, just focus on staying afloat... 

honestly I have reached the point that the punishment doesn’t matter .. we will be wherever we land, right or wrong. The thing that’s toughest is not knowing. I also get the feeling we will end up with penalties that go on for 3 seasons. I see no integrity, rationale or proportion in any of that. 

You broke the rules .. take your punishment. Correct. 

But if the rules are so badly drawn that punishment is disproportionate and dribbled out for years it is as disgraceful as it is unsporting. 

what is going to be interesting over the coming months is how many other clubs face sanctions and deductions. There is no way on earth that every other champ club is squeaky clean. Then what does a league table look like. It’s a farce. 

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

just fact checking my earlier post

some general financial impacts MM mentioned

1. 8 championship clubs receive parachute payments of between £12-£42m pa 

2. L1 promoted clubs have a much lower salary cost with a 5.5m tv and solidarity payment

3. covid loss of £20m in the case of DCFC - clubs with more fans have a bigger proportionate hit from covid

4. as an overall point Tv income in the championship is one twentieth of a PL game - he compared games between 'smaller' PL clubs with low fan bases and 'larger' Championship clubs with higher fan bases 

ambitious clubs in the championship trying to be competitive have a higher impact of the covid losses i.e dcfc

Only one of these points was not known to him when he decided to invest in Derby County. If he didn't like it he should have kept the lid on the biscuit tin. Truth is, simples, he gambled big and it didn't come off. You may have a view on whether the gamble was worth it but the fact it didn't come off had got three bits of nothing to do with television revenues.

Re Covid 

Hypothetically, If Mel had said at the start of the season that the club was in dire financial straights and asked people to forgo their free season ticket from last season and pay for it instead, how many would have helped the club out? 

I wonder if that was ever an option? It might have plugged some of the covid lost revenue. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

honestly I have reached the point that the punishment doesn’t matter .. we will be wherever we land, right or wrong. The thing that’s toughest is not knowing. I also get the feeling we will end up with penalties that go on for 3 seasons. I see no integrity, rationale or proportion in any of that. 

You broke the rules .. take your punishment. Correct. 

But if the rules are so badly drawn that punishment is disproportionate and dribbled out for years it is as disgraceful as it is unsporting. 

what is going to be interesting over the coming months is how many other clubs face sanctions and deductions. There is no way on earth that every other champ club is squeaky clean. Then what does a league table look like. It’s a farce. 

So are you saying Promotion isn't out of the question?

6 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Is that the same @Charlotte Ram who was scathing of posters a few weeks back that Mel would consider Administration?

There’s plenty on this forum who have been ridiculing posters for their criticisms of Mel for a long, long time. Have a look at the way @therams69was being treated on here. Can understand why the term “heads in the sand” was being used now…

2 minutes ago, Coneheadjohn said:

How much do the administrators charge?

David Tennant Run GIF by BBC America

WigAn were charged  £2,266,930.25 by Begbies a 3rd rate outfit and we will be more complicated than them¢64,  I have been thru 4 administrations 1 putting into administration and 3 buying from an administrator.

They only want to clock as many hours as possible because they charge an hourly rate , including admin staff back in their offices at £150/hour thru to  ¢650-700/hr for a partner.

Wigans average was £367/hour  well over 4000 hours

All the damage was done in the two weeks we signed about £20m of players on long contracts that we then sold for next to nothing. Everything after that has been accounting aimed at avoiding the impact of those decisions. If Blackman had gone on to be a twenty goal a season striker nobody here would have a bad word to say. I'd argue the club could be forgiven for getting one signing wrong but the fact that all five, or six, didn't work or shows either extreme bad luck or some pretty appalling scouting and governance.

2 hours ago, Yani P said:

Amortisation..default straight line..but players don't straight line in value especially young players..

Our policy reflected reality of a contract..

Expert account on panel said compliant..appeal overturned with no expert..

Nothing new to see here.. 

This amortisation has puzzled me. I got the impression from the interview that the EFL had indicated that it would consider deviations from the straight line policy as long as they approved it, which I thought they did. Derby chose to do it differently from other clubs to reflect the market realities of the transfer market and then it became a major issue further down the line. He was adamant that it was done in good faith to relect how things really are. As you say @Yani P,  although it was declared compliant by an expert, it was then overturned and not by an expert. Who knows? I certainly don't.

10 minutes ago, sage said:

so if we were only £4m over (4 point penalty) why do the EFL want 9 points plus 3 suspended ? Was that mentioned?

Also did MM day he didn't know why we didn't get the £8.3m or did he refuse to say why?

We didn't qualify for the £8.3m because the club was in embargo for breach or suspected breach of EFL rules & regulations.

1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

If Mel has lost £200m then that must include the stadium? In which case he said he’s not expecting to get any back. Does that mean he’ll be handing the ground over to the new owners for nowt or nominal fee?

Unlikely

Just now, Yani P said:

It's a shame in a way that there is this 28 day period for fans to put in a bid. Not knocking that concept by the way but just get a feeling that we might otherwise have been in and out in no time at all..

Prepacked administrations not allowed now since 4/30/21

10 minutes ago, Rev said:

Mel could sell it back to the club for whatever he fancies, so long as he's not part of the ownership in any way.

The only reason he had to pay that valuation was because he was a related party to the transaction, which wouldn't be the case if ownership was elsewhere.

Ive been thinking about this too. 

If the sale of the stadium for 80 million allowed us to keep within or close to breaching ffp and then a few years later it is sold back to the club for say 10 million, doesn't this just outline the fraud in selling the stadium to himself in the first place to stay within ffp? I'm sure the EFL would want to know more if this situation was to materialise and the sale wouldn't simply go through so easily without questions being asked. The value of the stadium is so public now, why would the owner of it (the former custodian of the club and the person who the EFL clearly do not like) seemingly give it back for very little money when it is known to be worth so much more. 

I'm sure the EFL would be knocking on the door in this case.