Ravel Morrison

RoyMac5

Was saying a few games back that he reminds me of Dawkins because his football head still works as an academy player in that he plays safe and keeps the ball above all else. I think in professional football you have to be willing to gamble more, whether it’s on a pass to open up the opposition defence or when to press and close down. It’s also about learning when you can do it and when not to too. Both players struggle/d with consistency because they are having to learn it quite late into their career and so neither reached the potential of their ability (It’s arguable that Lawrence is similar but he has somewhat got a decent number of games under his belt at Derby). That’s not a knock on either player and their football ability (before any of the Dawkins brigade come storming in), but they are two very very good footballers who just didn’t quite finish the course.

BUT…

…how Morrison put pressure on the defender and goalkeeper yesterday is exactly what’s been missing from his game. Getting on the front foot, working off the ball to put pressure on and the team got the reward from it. He did this throughout his cameo to be honest and it was good to see. So I think he deserves the credit for that.

Football is just as much about what you are doing off the ball as what you are doing on it

I know it seems a long way into the season but... we have to let him settle in and find his home, which for him takes longer than most.

I think its telling that he's now played more games for us than he has for any other perm move in his career, and the only other time being a loan spell at Brum back in 2013. 

I think he's starring to settle in and actually enjoys being here from his social media etc. 

I hope for his sake, he stays and becomes part of whatever squad we have in the future.

24 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Interesting to see that both winning goals over the last 4 days were created by Morrison pressuring a relatively safe defensive position for the opposition.

Shows a good attitude and how he is more effective further up the pitch than dropping deep to pick the ball up and playing it sideways as he was getting into the habit of doing.

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Shows a good attitude and how he is more effective further up the pitch than dropping deep to pick the ball up and playing it sideways as he was getting into the habit of doing.

Think he was doing what was asked of him by the manager. The emergence of Thompson means he can play further forward, but he's got more competition there, so he's going to have to produce the goods to challenge for starts. 

So far, so good. 

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Interesting to see that both winning goals over the last 4 days were created by Morrison pressuring a relatively safe defensive position for the opposition.

Obviously WBA and Stoke share our feelings about the EFL by giving us 10 points this season.

I love Morrisons reaction when Kazim scores, the fight and togetherness of this team is incredible. 

• 3 months later...

Quinton Fortune on his spell assisting Man Utd's under 23's.

"Ravel was amazing. Probably the best player of that generation — by far,” he says, wistfully.

Better than Pogba? “Not even a question. It was effortless. It was a once-in-a-lifetime talent. It was like watching Xavi, Iniesta, Neymar, all those guys put together. We were mesmerised by him.”