Ravel Morrison

RoyMac5

48 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But he hasn't looked like the same player, I really cannot see how you blame Rooney for that. He looked (prior to the last game) anonymous in the U23s and limited in the 1st team. He's a youngster these things happen in their development. Would you have given the other youngsters a chance in the team? 

That's partly my point Roy,he hasn't been the same under Rooney.

He's gone from being a full time essential player for us under Cocu to playing in the under 23's in less than two seasons.

Now his talent hadn't gone away or his desire surely,he was on the brink of being stolen away from us,so precocious was apparent talent.

I just don't think that Rooney's type of play,set up of the squad is conducive to getting the best out of Sibley or several other attackingly minded players who thrive off balls being laid off and distributed in and around the box....something we do not do anymore,relying constantly knocking it from the wings instead,there just no flair to it,it's so dull.

Maybe we are a centre forward away from that system but there seems to be a more fundamental issue with our playing style under this coaching set up.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

That's partly my point Roy,he hasn't been the same under Rooney.

He's gone from being a full time essential player for us under Cocu to playing in the under 23's in less than two seasons.

Now his talent hadn't gone away or his desire surely,he was on the brink of being stolen away from us,so precocious was apparent talent.

I just don't think that Rooney's type of play,set up of the squad is conducive to getting the best out of Sibley or several other attackingly minded players who thrive off balls being laid and distributed in and around the box.

Maybe we are a centre forward away from that system but there seems to be a more fundamental issue with our playing style under this coaching set up.

You've forgotten the narrative that the players he can't get anything out of now are simply poo players who can't offer anything, so what can he do?

But when Cocu was in charge he had numerous options that he wasn't getting the best out of. I mean he did have JHI and Whittaker to play CF, so there's no excuse.

It's gone from the manager needs to get the best out of the players at his disposal to the manager couldn't possibly get anything more out of the players at his disposal, even if the players in question and available now are better than the players who were available.then.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Sibley lost his form in Cocu's second season. 

I think Sibley was at his promising best when playing with Chris Martin in the team in terms of feeding off his lay offs, that said we have hardly had a decent centre forward for far to long so that upsets the balance of all the attacking players playing around a goal scorer/ decent centre forward.

13 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I think Sibley was at his promising best when playing with Chris Martin in the team in terms of feeding off his lay offs, that said we have hardly had a decent centre forward for far to long so that upsets the balance of all the attacking players playing around a goal scorer/ decent centre forward.

What limits Sibley is that he's really slow over 5 yards. I suspect that it's more mental than physical. Unless something is laid on a plate for him, the opportunity to make a telling pass or get a shot away usually disappears before he can capitalise on it.

17 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Pretty sure his best was with Waghorn 

1 hour ago, BondJovi said:

He did, but was injured after 4/5 games. Never really had a fair crack since.

It was also before CKR was fit and he was having to play with Jack Marriott as the number 9 and Rooney lumbering about being useless.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Be great to get that early season form that was between Ravel and Lawrence going again.

Does he play too deep? Is that because he’s given a free role and drops further back just to get involved and not be bored?

I think it’s because we have three players in Bird, Morrison and Shinnie who all like to play deep. 
This means they have limited options on the ball and play it short and simple. 
Neat but hardly effective.