Ravel Morrison

RoyMac5

18 hours ago, Kernow said:

He was a gamble that not many sides would have taken. We didn't really have too much choice.

I hope he comes good and I'm glad he has started his career well with us. But if he stays fit and features in every game, then before the end of January, we'll become the club he has appeared for the most in his career. He's 28 years old.

I still have some concerns, for example a few days before he signed, posting a story and unfollowing the Club on social media etc. It sounds minor, but I would be worried that he might still fly off the handle like he has with other teams, because we really can't afford any player to do that this season.

However I'll judge him on his performances and conduct for Derby only, and it's so far so good, so right now I'm glad we have a player with the quality of Ravel Morrison.

Interesting article here about him. Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere.

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-ravel-morrison-latest-chance-Derby-rooney-manchester-united-john-nicholson

15 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Hope Rav stays injury free , him and Bielik in the middle is a moutwatering prospect

Ravel Morrison on his game and a fully fit Bielik will absolutely dominate most teams in this division between them. I hope we are in a position to see it at some point.

He's looking good so far, his vision and ability to play passes that nobody else would. The only thing I'd probably say he could improve on, is when he has the ball, he could drive forward with it more. But you can see he's an excellent footballer. 

Edited by Rammy03

19 hours ago, KBB said:

Felt sorry for him when he kicked the ball out for a boro "injury" crowd went mad and you could see he was a bit pissed off by it. However the next time he had the ball he played a simple 10 yard pass to Byrne and the pass was greeted like the greatest pass the crowd had ever seen. The fans know he needs support and encouragement and it was epitomised by that 2 minute passage of play.

Also his no look pass to sibley in the first half was superb.

It wasn't so much booing against him, it was against the Boro team who had essentially decided that they were going to force him to do it by stopping playing, waving their arms in the air. I understand why he did it but what he should have done is played it straight through to Baldock or someone while the Boro team were moaning and we go one up.

Unless the ref stops the game or there is something immediately and obviously something wrong that a player can see, play on!

If we're lucky and we get a combination / all of; he's finally grown-up, Rooney helps him short or long term, he settles in Derby, his troubles are behind him, etc, etc then he'll be excellent for us. His ability is not in doubt so if he's having a good time on the pitch then perhaps that'll help him settle off it.

I love the way he always wants the ball, is clearly a natural and is some true flair in the squad which we've been missing (well, apart from Lawrence's 2.5 games of the season). 

When's Bieklik back...? As someone else said, with him and/or Jackson back, we have a decent midfield with, dare I say it, some options! Obviously it'll take Bielik 2-3 months of playing to actually be back to form and perhaps Rooney will play him as CB...?

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

Interesting article here about him. Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere.

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-ravel-morrison-latest-chance-Derby-rooney-manchester-united-john-nicholson

Cheers. And yet no conclusion? The article contains a paragraph that cries out for one.

"When younger he developed a reputation as being a thug and not exactly bright. Certainly, his run-ins with the law in his teens did him no good whatsoever, but he doesn’t seem stupid. Reading his interviews about how he just didn’t know how to behave and found concentrating difficult from an early age, not even being able to explain why he behaved as he did, one sees why it didn’t work out. His behaviour, the inability to focus, the lack of self-awareness or foresight, the instinctive brilliance and lack of application points towards something else."

I thought he'd been diagnosed with ADHD?

Edited by RoyMac5

I really hope for his sake and ours that he can use what's gone on so far this season to build on. 

With him at 10 our midfield is developing a degree of fluidity we've not see in a good few seasons, in particular him and Bird seem on the same wavelength and are starting to know how to drift around one another to good effect. I'd leave him untouched in that 10 role outside of mitigating circumstances (i.e. injury/performance) as I suspect to an extent he likely needs that level of freedom to thrive as he is a player that seems to want to roam to get on the ball.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cheers. And yet no conclusion? The article contains a paragraph that cries out for one.

"When younger he developed a reputation as being a thug and not exactly bright. Certainly, his run-ins with the law in his teens did him no good whatsoever, but he doesn’t seem stupid. Reading his interviews about how he just didn’t know how to behave and found concentrating difficult from an early age, not even being able to explain why he behaved as he did, one sees why it didn’t work out. His behaviour, the inability to focus, the lack of self-awareness or foresight, the instinctive brilliance and lack of application points towards something else."

I thought he'd been diagnosed with ADHD?

I don't think that' s an unreasonable supposition, seems to tick the right boxes.

6 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

He’s class, I just hope we’re able to tie him down to a longer contract and he keeps his feet on the ground and makes a home here. As others have said, hun and Bielik would be a quality midfield 

If he becomes a well appreciated stat here then I think that he will stay.

Rooney has said that players need to be braver at times in receiving the ball. That tends to come with experience or sheer talent, while naturally gifted players like Will Hughes were demanding the ball to feet even at 16 years old its not always the case with other youngsters. Ravel is one who has experience and natural talent and will take possession with ease no matter the circumstances, this should help the younger lads to have confidence to do the same.

It may already be rubbing off on Bird and one or two others by recent performances. 

On 24/08/2021 at 00:53, Coconut's Beard said:

Potentially, but Bird has performed like this before, it's just been so long  since we've seen it and the first time since Rooney became manager.

I think it might be key to Bird

Was his previous best not alongside Rooney ?

On 22/08/2021 at 15:22, DCFC1388 said:

Absolute quality player.

My only gripe with him is the number of times he finds him in acres of space but doesnt then attack the space infront of him with any purpose. When he does he looks quality, like in the play upto Birds chance, would like to see it more from him.

Jagielka was the same yesterday too, absolute quality but when he had space infront he didnt advance into he opted to pass to someone instead.

I don’t mind Jagielka being reserved at 39, to be fair ?

@Ellafella used the word balletic to describe his performance in his player review and it is exactly that. The way he moves, finds space, it is never rushed, very precise, he knows what to do with the ball. After watching him twice i understand why some people in the game have rated him very highly. he just needs to improve his fitness/save himself to last the whole game and pick passes in the the last 20  minutes of the game when everybody is tired and matches are won.

17 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

@Ellafella used the word balletic to describe his performance in his player review and it is exactly that. The way he moves, finds space, it is never rushed, very precise, he knows what to do with the ball. After watching him twice i understand why some people in the game have rated him very highly. he just needs to improve his fitness/save himself to last the whole game and pick passes in the the last 20  minutes of the game when everybody is tired and matches are won.

Another month and he should be fully up to speed. Fortunately, despite having played so little football recently, he seems to have turned up to pre-season in relatively good shape. His pass and move style does place an added emphasis on fitness, but if he can keep his head in the game and get fully match conditioned, we've secured a very good player.

Hopefully he's also working on his set pieces too as he is a wonderful striker of the ball, but has looked a little rusty in that regard thus far. I've had a bet that he makes 10 or more goal contributions this season which might seem fanciful now, but he's potentially a class above 90% of the Championship if everything falls into place.