Experienced manager

Gringo

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Rooney is 'box office' - bums on seats and/or press exposure. Just about every club outside the premier league (and half of them in it) would be prepared to gamble on such a name, novice or not.

He could struggle to get another managerial job at a decent championship club after he finishes at DCFC. 

2 hours ago, europia said:

He could struggle to get another managerial job at a decent championship club after he finishes at DCFC. 

"Another managerial job at a decent championship club"?

When was his first, because 'decent' doesn't appear in the lexicon of the clusterfark of a club currently employing him as boss. Under the current circumstances, I think I'll give him a go for a bit longer yet.

12 hours ago, Maxwell Baxter said:

The aren't many who have won so much and had years being managed by arguable the best in the business ever.   

your right. only

steve bruce

paul ince

mark hughes

jaap stam

g. neville

p. neville

paul scholes

mark robbins

r. wellens

d. fergie

bryan robson

mike phelan

roy keane

gordon strachan

ryan giggs

ole g s

l. blanc

1 hour ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

your right. only

steve bruce 

paul ince 

mark hughes 

jaap stam

g. neville

p. neville

paul scholes

mark robbins

r. wellens

d. fergie 

bryan robson 

mike phelan 

roy keane

gordon strachan

ryan giggs

ole g s

l. blanc

Great response, Looking at that list it really is remarkable how many top class players can't hack it in management. Yet many lesser players can make it in management, I wonder if a lack of success as a player makes you more passionate to succeed as a manager?

However most of them on that list did manage in the top flight and I'll be more than happy to see Rooney manage Derby in the top flight. And a few of them did have half descent management careers.  

In the current climate Derby find themselves having Rooney as the manager is a plus for me.

I can't image anyone being interested in signing for Derby right now other than the Rooney factor   

Edited by Maxwell Baxter

People go on about negative Derby fans...but he has literally just won one game and suddenly we don't need any experience and he is drawing comparisons with an early Alex Ferguson! 

I'm very cautious and I hope short term a corner has been turned but I don't see any medium term future that doesn't end badly. However, if he can keep some upward trajectory and us lower to mid-table for the season then that's perfectly acceptable to me. Preferably we get taken over and a fresh start includes a new manager but no point waiting around and sulking for that to happen. 

Personally I don't see him as a Fergie-type in a million years...but maybe as a man who leads not with words but by attitude, personal performance and sheer desire /will to win, so if he can drag us short term to a better place like an early Roy Keane or Bryan Robson then I can get behind that. 

On 21/08/2021 at 01:00, Eddie said:

"Another managerial job at a decent championship club"?

When was his first, because 'decent' doesn't appear in the lexicon of the clusterfark of a club currently employing him as boss. Under the current circumstances, I think I'll give him a go for a bit longer yet.

Yes, exactly why I correctly wrote:  "another managerial job at a decent championship"  rather than "a managerial job at another decent championship club" ?

There is not a manager who would touch the Derby job atm. Wayne Rooney is the best by a distance who we could realistically have. I see people saying judge Rooney after 10/15 games. I say judge Rooney when he can move freely in the transfer market and given a fair chance. The restrictions are abysmal for any manager to work under. The likes of Jagielka and Morrison would not be here if it wasnt for Rooney. Hes a winner. 

31 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

There is not a manager who would touch the Derby job atm. Wayne Rooney is the best by a distance who we could realistically have. I see people saying judge Rooney after 10/15 games. I say judge Rooney when he can move freely in the transfer market and given a fair chance. The restrictions are abysmal for any manager to work under. The likes of Jagielka and Morrison would not be here if it wasnt for Rooney. Hes a winner. 

We don’t know that do we. I bet plenty would apply if the job became available……..

31 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

Where is the evidence that no-one would touch the Derby job at the moment and Rooney is the best man for the job?

They are both assumptions which can’t be tested while the job is unavailable.

By the same token, I could say if Rooney left tomorrow, there would be tens of managers lining up to take on the challenge of reviving a club like ours.

Managers will always be judged come what may, and you can only take it as it comes. The circumstances will never be optimal, so why wait to judge Rooney?

Rooney has been given a more than fair chance if you consider he’s not even officially qualified to do the job.

Backing the manager is fine, but we came within a whisker of relegation whilst playing uninspiring football and we have won three league games since the spring.

You can’t be surprised that some fans will still have reservations over the manager, surely? This is modern football and managers are scrutinised more fiercely than ever.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Where is the evidence that no-one would touch the Derby job at the moment and Rooney is the best man for the job?

They are both assumptions which can’t be tested while the job is unavailable.

By the same token, I could say if Rooney left tomorrow, there would be tens of managers lining up to take on the challenge of reviving a club like ours.

Managers will always be judged come what may, and you can only take it as it comes. The circumstances will never be optimal, so why wait to judge Rooney?

Rooney has been given a more than fair chance if you consider he’s not even officially qualified to do the job.

Backing the manager is fine, but we came within a whisker of relegation whilst playing uninspiring football and we have won three league games since the spring.

You can’t be surprised that some fans will still have reservations over the manager, surely? This is modern football and managers are scrutinised more fiercely than ever.

Honestly, nothing personal meant by this Jourdan but when you write about Derby you really depress me!