Experienced manager

Gringo

Interesting that this thread started with a reference to Forest and than Alex Ferguson gets a mention.

Some of our younger listeners may not be aware that Fergie joined Man U in 1986 by the start of 1990 he had won nothing, In the previous season Man U had finished in the bottom half of the table, below the likes of Millwall, Coventry City and even little old Derby (who finished 5th in the top flight). As 1990 started Man U had gone 7 games without a win leaving them no chance of the league they ended the season in 13th place.

Fans at old Trafford were far from happy, attendance where falling and banners against Fergie started to appear. United's only chance of a trophy was the FA Cup (back in a time when it really meant something). However they had been drawn away to Forest, Forest where massive favourites if United lost this game Alex Ferguson would almost certain be gone! Man U won the game and then went on the win the cup and the rest, as they say is history.

Ain't saying Roooooney is a Fergie he's not even close at the moment and he may never be, but if we let him go or if he walks there will be a dozen clubs asking if he's interested in managing them. The aren't many who have won so much and had years being managed by arguable the best in the business ever.   

Edited by Maxwell Baxter
the standard typo do it every time

4 minutes ago, Maxwell Baxter said:

Interesting that this thread started with a reference to Forest and than Alex Ferguson gets a mention.

Some of our younger listeners may not be aware that Fergie joined Man U in 1986 by the start of 1990 he had won nothing, In the previous season Man U had finished in the bottom half of table, below the likes of Millwall, Coventry City and even little old Derby (who finished 5th in the top flight). As 1990 started Man U had gone 7 games without a win leaving them no chance of the league they ended the season in 13th place.

Fans at old Trafford were far from happy, attendance where falling and banners against Fergie started to appear. United's only chance of a trophy was the FA Cup (back in time when it really meant something). However they had been drawn away to Forest, Forest where massive favourites if United lost this game Alex Ferguson would almost certain be gone! Man U won the game and then went on the win the cup and the rest, as they say is history.

Ain't say Roooooney is a Fergie he's not even close at the moment and he may never be, but if we let him go or if he walks there will a dozen clubs asking if he's interest in managing them. The aren't many who have won so much and had years being managed by arguable the best in the business ever.   

Fergie had won European trophies with Aberdeen prior to managing Manure, so wasn’t the novice that Wazza is. Not sure quite yet that he would be wanted by as many other teams, maybe lower down the leagues….

20 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Fergie had won European trophies with Aberdeen prior to managing Manure, so wasn’t the novice that Wazza is. Not sure quite yet that he would be wanted by as many other teams, maybe lower down the leagues….

Yeah he ain't getting offers from Man U or Everton, but loads of clubs maybe a few premier league will be interested in taking a punt. Right now Derby are pretty much a nothing Club and i doubt Rooney would sign up to manage us today but we have him, and as i say the experience that he has in the game as a player if not yet as a manage is priceless.   

As you mention Fergie was a winner and had experience as a manger yet it still took him 4 years to turn around Manchester United so we have to give a novice like Rooney sometime especially as he has very little to work with.   

Edited by Maxwell Baxter
the standard typo do it every time

12 hours ago, rammieib said:

Does anyone else get frustrated at lines such as "if it wasn't for the 11 minutes of Gibson time" - that is basically ignoring all the good luck that you get and only focusing on specifics. What is the Huddersfield player hadn't missed the shot against Roos? What if the Hull keeper had held onto the Buchanan shot etc

You can't just ignore events...

Yes it absolute rowlocks. You never read it being spun that actually we failed to capitalise on 11 minutes of extra time when we could have grabbed the victory, it's always put across as some form of bad luck against us.

Both sides had the chance to capitalise on the additional time, Posh did and we didn't but that's down to our bad luck which is rubbish. 

7 hours ago, ossieram said:

I don't go along with this.

There have been plenty of occasions where teams have lost games due to either the ref having a stinker or an opposition player cheating. These are points that you never get back.

I also don't believe that it evens up over the season. 

Burnley away during Stevie Mac 1. If we'd won that we would have gone above Burnley and into the automatic places, and probably gone straight up. And with that side, I think we'd have done well in the PL. Thanks Mr Madley!

we have played 3 teams tipped to be in a major relegation fight and got 4 points. I'm really not sure why the OP is so excited about our form and crowing. Forest have played coventry, blackburn and bournemouth so they've had a harder set of fixtures. Hughton is a good manager and despite the difficult start he should pick it up for them. Yes, no appointment is a slam dunk but that doesn't mean you don't have a good set of criteria for who you want to manage your club. 

2 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

You're missing the point. The same misfortune / inconsistencies would apply to other clubs in our league so it evens itself out - i.e. it's not that we literally get a piece of luck to allow an offside goal or get a favourable decision from a ref to balance the opposite events previously...

I'm not missing the point at all, I just don't agree with you. 

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

I'm not missing the point at all, I just don't agree with you. 

Hold on, I didn't even say it!

And it's a fact, not something you can actually disagree on. Unless you think DCFC are special and have more 'bad luck' (which doesn't exist) than any other team.

7 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Rooney is 'box office' - bums on seats and/or press exposure. Just about every club outside the premier league (and half of them in it) would be prepared to gamble on such a name, novice or not.