Experienced manager

Gringo

24 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Coming from the person who pointed out Cocu’s failings with great notoriety?

I may point out the failings of our managers to one and all, but at least I am consistent and hold all of them to the same standards.

If someone more appealing like Wilder or Cooper came in and did a poor job, then absolutely they would get the same level of criticism as those who went before them.

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Not really, just disputing the fact that nobody else would want the job. Judge him after 10 games ???

Rooney is doing a good job with limited resources.but I do worry where the goals are going to come from. 

We are desperate for a 20 goal a season man in my view but the start we have made is encouraging 

Just now, Curtains said:

Rooney is doing a good job with limited resources.but I do worry where the goals are going to come from. 

We are desperate for a 20 goal a season man in my view but the start we have made is encouraging 

If we are still lower mid table come the end of September I will be happy ?

1 hour ago, DazzaRam said:

Rooney has had the worst deal of any Derby manager i can remember. For him in this situation to get players like Jagielka and Morrison to play for £4.5k is an achievement in itself. Like ive said...id like Rooney to be given just 50% of the backing Lampard and Cocu got. Then and only then is it a time to start judging him. At the minute he is Firefighting every day. Even tomorrow night hes got hardly any room trying to protect the side for Saturday. Its horrendous. 

If you believe that Rooney has had such a raw deal, it begs the question: why did he take the job in the first place and why is he still here? It doesn’t add up such is the way you describe the state of the club.

We don’t know the specifics of the deals for Jagielka and Morrison or indeed their motivations for signing, do we? We don’t know how they will perform and contribute to the team over an extended period of time neither. So to say signing them is an achievement in itself is again based on assumptions.

No two managers have the same backing or the same circumstances to work under.

It’s wishful thinking to believe that Rooney can’t be judged until he gets millions in backing. And that’s no guarantee of anything either.

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Where is the evidence that no-one would touch the Derby job at the moment and Rooney is the best man for the job?

They are both assumptions which can’t be tested while the job is unavailable.

By the same token, I could say if Rooney left tomorrow, there would be tens of managers lining up to take on the challenge of reviving a club like ours.

Managers will always be judged come what may, and you can only take it as it comes. The circumstances will never be optimal, so why wait to judge Rooney?

Rooney has been given a more than fair chance if you consider he’s not even officially qualified to do the job.

Backing the manager is fine, but we came within a whisker of relegation whilst playing uninspiring football and we have won three league games since the spring.

You can’t be surprised that some fans will still have reservations over the manager, surely? This is modern football and managers are scrutinised more fiercely than ever.

We were rock bottom of the league when Rooney took over, the lowest league position we have been in during your lifetime, the lowest we have been for over 30 years…and we did NOT go down, doesn’t matter if It is “by a whisker” or “by miles” we did not go down. 
Norwich have only lost 2 games since the spring….so must mean they can’t go down….oh no, because that was last season….and those results do not count this season….

9 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

We were rock bottom of the league when Rooney took over, the lowest league position we have been in during your lifetime, the lowest we have been for over 30 years…and we did NOT go down, doesn’t matter if It is “by a whisker” or “by miles” we did not go down. 
Norwich have only lost 2 games since the spring….so must mean they can’t go down….oh no, because that was last season….and those results do not count this season….

We didn’t go down, no. But the manner of our survival was less than convincing, which is why doubts are present over Rooney for many fans.

I never said results last season count this season. But we have seen time and again that struggling teams which have long spells where wins are hard come to by can have a hangover from one season to the next and struggle to find good momentum again.

Will that happen with us? Who knows. But it is easy to see why people have doubts.

8 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Don't waste your time. If Jesus took over, and had us winning everything, the same folk on here, would still look for faults and criticise the man for wearing sandals, and for not sharing the points around all the other teams.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm amused. I think then we'll never find a Derby manager to make you happy.

I really enjoyed our time under Jim Smith, Billy Davies and George Burley. McClaren too.

Even under Nigel Clough, there were good times and memorable days.

So let’s not exaggerate too greatly.

Maybe Rooney will be added to the list. Time will tell.

12 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

We didn’t go down, no. But the manner of our survival was less than convincing, which is why doubts are present over Rooney for many fans.

I never said results last season count this season. But we have seen time and again that struggling teams which have long spells where wins are hard come to by can have a hangover from one season to the next and struggle to find good momentum again.

Will that happen with us? Who knows. But it is easy to see why people have doubts.

Does it matter the “manner” in which you survive..? All that matters is that you didn’t. 
Well you did… you said we have won 2 games since spring…which was last season…..irrelevant. 

Wazza ball is here. 

3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Does it matter the “manner” in which you survive..? All that matters is that you didn’t. 
Well you did… you said we have won 2 games since spring…which was last season…..irrelevant. 

Wazza ball is here. 

Last season is irrelevant in terms of points on the board, yes.

But not when it comes to things that can contribute to a team’s success moving forward - momentum, belief, confidence, mentality, character and spirit.

All of it can be carried from one season into the next, both positively and negatively.

If we had stayed up after a storming run of form, you can bet the mood around the club throughout the summer and up to now would be much more positive.

On 20/08/2021 at 11:51, Jimbo Ram said:

If you include the win on pens, I count that as a draw.

That Salford team played against our youngsters and were on the night 2nd fiddle and held out for the draw, hoping to win on pens. They went out for the draw, hoping to win. If Derby had lost on the penalties, would you you be classing that as a defeat. Every one knows the rules in the knock out cup games( Example being the Euro's which Italy won on penalties). Its like moaning at the end of the season your team finish in 3rd spot 10 points clear of 4th placed team and not getting promotion because you lose on a penalty shoot out in the final. Look at the history books and the winners ( what ever way they won won) will be down as the team that won.

On 20/08/2021 at 12:59, Leeds Ram said:

we have played 3 teams tipped to be in a major relegation fight and got 4 points. I'm really not sure why the OP is so excited about our form and crowing. Forest have played coventry, blackburn and bournemouth so they've had a harder set of fixtures. Hughton is a good manager and despite the difficult start he should pick it up for them. Yes, no appointment is a slam dunk but that doesn't mean you don't have a good set of criteria for who you want to manage your club. 

The bookies tipped Barnsley for the drop last season and they made the play-offs. Its too early to predict if they were good or bad points.

2 hours ago, DazzaRam said:

Yeah cos Ian Evatt would pull the likes of Jagielka and Morrison for £4.5k a week hey... ?

Well said. Rooney has used his contacts and reputation in the game to good affect. 

There is always a few who want to bash the manager even we are playing better than they expected.