v Salford (H) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Great penalties. But a real bugbear of mine is seeing defensive-minded players take penalties. Don't get me wrong, J Brown, Shinnie and Forsyth stepped up and put them away comfortably enough.

But Sibley and Jozwiak are out attacking players. We're going to rely on them scoring goals this season. So why aren't they in our best five shooters from 12 yards? They could do with the confidence of scoring too, especially Joz.

Penalty-taking is a very specific exercise which has little to do with attacking or defensive mindset. I'm sure they take them in training and they take the best penalty takers for the shoot-out. Can't see what's to get annoyed about.

Edited by handyill

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

Ive just had £20 in play at 12-1 be rolling in the Benjamin's come full time when we bring the big guns on  ???

Put a tenner on us but they claimed the bet hadn't gone through so I did it again so effectively £20. Cashed out one of them at half-time to get my stake back and cashed the other out at 2-2 so made £31 profit. And we won the tie, but not the match, so happy with that.

Come on you young Rams! Excellent night. The sort of match that can really kickstart a season and bond players and fans together.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I love watching Festy Ebosele play. He's still pretty raw at times but he glides past players, he's so quick, strong and intelligent with the ball. This will be his break through season.

He can beat any player 1 on 1, but he manages it so often because he's willing to come inside just as often. Defenders have no idea if he's going to drift inside or speed past him. As powerful a runner as you'll find in League football, but extremely agile too.

Just needs to work on the defensive side of his game.

Just now, Chris_Martin said:

Sergio Ramos. That is all.

Yeah Sergio Ramos is an excellent penalty taker. But he's just one player. I'm bemused when we have a selection of five kickers, three of them are defenders. I'm just being weird about it, but I really wanted Joz to take one while I'm surprised Sibley didn't step up either considering how cleanly and powerful he can kick the ball.

2 minutes ago, handyill said:

Penalty-taking is a very specific exercise which has little to do with attacking or defensive mindset. I'm sure they take them in training and they take the best penalty takers for the shoot-out. Can't see what's to get annoyed about.

You're probably right. But I just wanted Sibley and Joz to take one and score. They need the confidence!

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

He can beat any player 1 on 1, but he manages it so often because he's willing to come inside just as often. Defenders have no idea if he's going to drift inside or speed past him. As powerful a runner as you'll find in League football, but extremely agile too.

Just needs to work on the defensive side of his game.

For me, he is definitely a right winger rather than a right back. It allows the best out of his game, whilst allowing for the at times lacking defensive positioning. He is just so natural at taking on a defender 1 on 1 as you said, I can't remember many Derby players in recent years with that ability. 

1 minute ago, cosmic said:

We’ve missed a proper forward pass for a couple of seasons. I know he doesn’t land all of them, but at least he’s having a go. He’s learning as well - don’t get people on here slating him when he gets one wrong. Give the lad a chance. He’s one of our few central creative outputs. 

He was awful for the first twenty minutes but he improved and in the second half he showed great character. 

Some of his passing was premier league standard. 

Okay a few times he had some WTF moments but I'm prepared to cut him some slack whilst he learns and he deserves his moment in the spotlight.