Who will be our first signing?

RoyMac5

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Quite interesting to gauge the preparation for Saturday. 

At present surely we must plan with what we have?

It would be a risk to play players whose signature only allows one training session? 

Are we not assuming that the first signings (positive there'll be more!) will be some of those who have been training/still are training with us? Not seen many Moor Farm pictures lately maybe they've all left? ?

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

If we can only sign 3 or 4 then we might as well just give up now.

Shambles of a club.

Mel Morris took over a club on the brink of the premier League and turned them into a shoe in for relegation to League One. With that little money we can't sign more than 3 free transfers.

I'll never forgive that bloke for what he's done to this football club.

And I hope the fans going on Saturday let him know exactly what they think of him.

Get some perspective bud. Think of the context in which he's operating. Think of the money he's spent chasing our dreams.

You'll never forgive him? You want him booed? Poor show IMO.

The interview with Rooney he very clearly stated that it would be 48 hours or this week. It was very clear. 

One thing we can't control is EFL approval. Most signings are normally announced pending EFL approval. Sure that's not something we can now do in case the EFL play more tricks post announcement. Think Kieftenbeld.

Whether people are announced today, tomorrow, Thursday, Friday or Saturday doesn't matter really. What matters is that Rooney and Co have agreed who comes in and prepare the team as such this week. 

As with any takeover the club has seen the damage caused by announcing anything too early. Hopefully they are finally learning from their mistakes.

Likewise if nobody comes in this week then it impacts one game. In a long long season.

9 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Get some perspective bud. Think of the context in which he's operating. Think of the money he's spent chasing our dreams.

You'll never forgive him? You want him booed? Poor show IMO.

The money he's spent chasing HIS dreams , we get excited when we sign players but as far as I know not 1 single fan has influenced any signings we've made or wages we've paid etc other than Mel , whatever team we put out will be well supported (although it looks like not many will be there) but I'm not so sure about Mel , every other club has had to deal with Covid but not many are in our situation

11 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I agree with this 100%. 

Before the game, after the game. Make our voices heard.

But for 90 minutes the players need us.

I do fear though that us going 1-0 down would turn pride park very toxic very quickly 

Protest before the game sounds like a bad idea and is not really going to help the team. 

Reaction after the game will obviously be highly dependent on the result and performance. Even a plucky/unlucky/promising performance 1:0 defeat won’t result in a toxic atmosphere. A humiliating defeat with no realistic attempts on target would be a different matter altogether. 

22 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I know we've seen comparatively little of Cashin but on yesterdays showing he has some talent. Maybe better to sign experienced CBs and develop Cashin?

My 4 would be Jagielka, Davies, Mengi and Cashin. We need a quick CB, which Mengi is.

25 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Protest before the game sounds like a bad idea and is not really going to help the team. 

Reaction after the game will obviously be highly dependent on the result and performance. Even a plucky/unlucky/promising performance 1:0 defeat won’t result in a toxic atmosphere. A humiliating defeat with no realistic attempts on target would be a different matter altogether. 

Yes in hindsight maybe before is not a good idea.

However I do think that going 1-0 down and things could get ugly quickly.

I don't want them to at all. Nobody does. But I can't blame anyone after the last 18 months who wants to make their feelings known.

3 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Yes in hindsight maybe before is not a good idea.

However I do think that going 1-0 down and things could get ugly quickly.

I don't want them to at all. Nobody does. But I can't blame anyone after the last 18 months who wants to make their feelings known.

I think going 1-0 down can happen to any team but doesn’t mean the game is lost .

The fans need to be patient this season. 

I think 1-0 down and things being ugly will largely depend on the team. If it's as young as Sunday's friendly, i don't think it will. But it Captain Tom decides to chip a penalty down the middle to a keeper who just stands there... then maybe it could get ugly. 

But that's nothing new, the players that have always had stick will continue to receive it. If Bird dares pass sideways he'll have the moans and groans, if Roos doesn't claim a corner he'll have the moans and groans, if Forsyth misplaces a pass etc etc. 

Can never understand why people don't just get behind players. 

24 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I think going 1-0 down can happen to any team but doesn’t mean the game is lost .

The fans need to be patient this season. 

No I agree.

I mean tbf last season going 1-0 down meant we had to score 2 which was highly unlikely.

I just mean that the fans are going to support the team but if we get off to a bad start and I just think things could turn. I hope I'm wrong and people wait till after.

37 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

I think 1-0 down and things being ugly will largely depend on the team. If it's as young as Sunday's friendly, i don't think it will. But it Captain Tom decides to chip a penalty down the middle to a keeper who just stands there... then maybe it could get ugly. 

But that's nothing new, the players that have always had stick will continue to receive it. If Bird dares pass sideways he'll have the moans and groans, if Roos doesn't claim a corner he'll have the moans and groans, if Forsyth misplaces a pass etc etc. 

Can never understand why people don't just get behind players. 

I think most of us do but, sadly, it only takes a handful of noisy folk to express their frustration to make it sound like a lot.

A few things are certain: Regardless of the result, regardless of the performance, I will not be booing the team, Mel or Rooney. I won’t join in any “witty” songs about Rooney and I won’t be leaving early. I rather suspect (and hope) the majority will react the same.

That doesn’t make me a better fan (I’ll do plenty of grumbling and moaning to myself) or mean I don’t blame Mel or that I rate Rooney but I’ll do my best to support the team and accept the fact that Rooney is doing the best he is capable of and Mel is doing his best to sell the club.