Who will be our first signing?

RoyMac5

We’re four days away from the start of the season and still every trialist is still with the club as far as we’re aware. If there wasn’t a chance of signing, surely they’d have left a long time ago.

I don’t believe that these players wouldn’t get some kind of offer elsewhere, all were at clubs ‘better’ than us last season bar one, I believe (Allsop).

By better, I mean they came from clubs who finished in a stronger position than us. It would be different is these were players from League 1 or so, where they’re clinging on to the possibility of Championship football. Players like Jagielka, Davies, Aluko & Carroll could surely get moderate offers from teams in this division, so why here?

My complete guess is that the EFL intend to allow us to at least try to be competitive, but the punishment is making us wait in uncertainty for as long as feasibly possible. It’s like a mother confiscating her son’s toys. She fully intends to give them back, but not until after he’s been sent to his room to cry for a while.

It would also explain these “unexplainable” rules that means we can sign Davies because he was here last year, but not Wisdom, but then actually we can’t sign Davies because he didn’t re-sign in June, blah blah blah…

If the EFL stick to their guns and force us to enter the season with a threadbare squad, gaps filled with youth players, then the integrity of the competition goes, and it sets an awful precedent for whoever the next club is that stumbles into their firing line.

Edited by Kernow

53 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I've just listened to it back. He said talks with the EFL have reached a point where Derby can sign the players they want.

It might be that we only sign 3 or 4. Nothing to do with the EFL more our own finances.

Nice one, I only heard a clip which said not to expect anything today.

Thursday looks like the day when we see some signings then and because they’re already with us (and potentially Davies and Wisdom are used to how we play) I can see the team for Saturday looking pretty strong.

Ebosele and Sibley are looking good during pre season so that makes the CB situation easier to sort.

I’m interested to see what happens with Allsop.

17 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

Thursday looks like the day when we see some signings then and because they’re already with us (and potentially Davies and Wisdom are used to how we play) I can see the team for Saturday looking pretty strong.

Stop counting chickens... 

Too many people around here doing that and I really need people to stop cursing us with this positivity 

After the trials, all the the triallists were found guilty of being very good players after acquitting themselves very well in their brief time here. Judging by what we have seen of them they should be free to get us up the league 

19 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I mean the trialists didn't play Saturday and we've seen no training pictures since last week.

So right now we don't actually know who is still here.

Unusual so far to have zero training pics from Mon and Tues training. They're either all there plus others on loan or they're all gone.

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Are we not assuming that the first signings (positive there'll be more!) will be some of those who have been training/still are training with us? Not seen many Moor Farm pictures lately maybe they've all left? ?

Rooney has taken them all on a bonding night out and they are not back yet ?

15 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Unusual so far to have zero training pics from Mon and Tues training. They're either all there plus others on loan or they're all gone.

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Rooney has taken them all on a bonding night out and they are not back yet ?

Well I did post a tweet showing Tom and Joz at PP today with Punjabi Rams but obviously I can only post something once without it getting deleted, so it's on the Huddersfield thread...