Who will be our first signing?

RoyMac5

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

I am hearing Buchanan may well be out injured for a while and if it proves to be the case then Forsyth can’t be everywhere 

Nicholson/DT said (from Rooney) a couple of week - Sat after Huddersfield, has that changed?

I don't understand why after playing one friendly against a non-league team are some of our fans wanting to see Cashin start?

I'm all for blooding youngsters and if imagine he will get his chances this season.

But it has to be the right time. It's a massive massive difference from playing against non-league opposition in a friendly to starting week in week out in the championship.

More than ever next season we are going to need experience. It's going to be a long hard season and I don't think starting an U23 centre back with no experience is the best idea at the moment.

7 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

But it has to be the right time. It's a massive massive difference from playing against non-league opposition in a friendly to starting week in week out in the championship.

You don't think Mengi is an option then?

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You don't think Mengi is an option then?

An option to have in the squad? Yes. Starting every week. No.

I didn't see enough from him last season that is making me excited about getting him back.

Not at the minute.

I just think we need to try and get off to a solid start. We haven't got much in the way of attacking talent.

I mean we have exactly the same attacking players as last season, minus Waghorn.

And last season our attacking threat was an embarrassment.

So clean sheets are going to be vital.

I'm not saying I wouldn't blood Cashin if possible. But not to start with. I'd be going with experience if possible.

Just my opinion.

9 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

An option to have in the squad? Yes. Starting every week. No.

I didn't see enough from him last season that is making me excited about getting him back.

Not at the minute.

I just think we need to try and get off to a solid start. We haven't got much in the way of attacking talent.

I mean we have exactly the same attacking players as last season, minus Waghorn.

And last season our attacking threat was an embarrassment.

So clean sheets are going to be vital.

I'm not saying I wouldn't blood Cashin if possible. But not to start with. I'd be going with experience if possible.

Just my opinion.

Well my point was Mengi isn't much more experienced than Championship level than Cashin, but I bet Utd would expect him to start. Not the same player and potential perhaps but same situation maybe. FWIW I'd prefer two experienced CBs, but it also depends on who else we could sign. We are desperate for a goal scorer.

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well my point was Mengi isn't much more experienced than Championship level than Cashin, but I bet Utd would expect him to start. Not the same player and potential perhaps but same situation maybe. FWIW I'd prefer two experienced CBs, but it also depends on who else we could sign. We are desperate for a goal scorer.

I agree mate. 

I think another striker is an absolute must. 

As good as Cashin done it was against a quite poor Notts County side for me.

But he would benefit greatly from being used alongside Jagielka or Davies in certain games as a learning process

He's definitely not the biggest and a season training and playing alongside an experienced CB will not only help his development but also take the pressure off of his young shoulders as he wont be expected to play every game 

Certainly a good prospect though

I fear that Rooney knows no more than us about when our embargo will actually be relaxed,if at all...which may be why he left out all of the trialists on Sunday and is having to be more pragmatic about who is actually going to play against Huddersfield.

I mean,nothings actually changed apart from his and our optimism that it might.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I fear that Rooney knows no more than us about when our embargo will actually be relaxed,if at all...which may be why he left out all of the trialists on Sunday and is having to be more pragmatic about who is actually going to play against Huddersfield.

I mean,nothings actually changed apart from his and our optimism that it might.

Well not quite, he was always intending to play a different 11 and now he has some idea of their potential.

He also seemed more positive than previously about imminent signings, but even if not mentioned that there was until the end of August to sign players. 

4 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

And who else are we going to start against Huddersfield?

Well obviously if there's no other centre halves at the club then he will have to start. Not the best way for a youngster to be thrown in.

But Rooney seemed very confident that we would have signings this week. 

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

We have to go with who we have .

Only 4 days left to sign anyone before Huddersfield game .

August 31 st is more appropriate for signings I expect 

I'd rather this than rush into paying high salaries over a longer period. 

Frankly if any one of the triallists wanted more than 500k for a years contract, I'd look elsewhere.

I'd set a wage cap at £6k a week, and if that means players would go elsewhere so be it.