Please don’t blame Morris and Pearce.

Curtains

11 hours ago, Taribo said:

Resurrected this thread as I’ve had a change of heart. I’ve been a supporter of Mel, I thought he’d just made the mistake of giving supporters what they asked for: ‘sack this manager, sack that manager’, ‘sign this player, sign that player’. All good intentioned, genuine but just slightly misguided.

…But now I’ve got to ask, how on earth has Mel let it get to this stage? We knew we’d have to resubmit accounts - why weren’t they ready? Why are we so late on submitting the latest accounts? Why have we accrued so much debt with HMRC - The alleged £20m is a lot in anyone’s book but this has to be paid! Why have we not set payment terms with HMRC? How were managers allowed to spend so much with no care for the future? 

Because Mel, for all his good business sense in the real world, isn't able to run a football club.

He could have gone down as the best chairman the club has ever seen, but rather than use his money to secure the long term financial future for the club, he has continuously gambled to try and get to the Premier League. 

No fan should be blamed for backing him when he was spending money, because how were we to know that Bill's werent being paid, until now?

I know it wasnt his intention, but he has brought the club to its knees and unless something changes quickly, this season could be our last in the championship for a while.

1 hour ago, Warwick Ram said:

We are on the verge of being an embarrassment again. Just over two weeks until our first game with no senior centre halves, one striker who is in his mid 30s and still under this embargo.

Morris and Pearce should be working night and day to get this sorted ASAP. They may well be but we don’t know either way.

What will the fans say when we are getting hammered every week because we are no where near competitive? Will they still support Morris and say he tried his best? If Morris was not a local man he would be being castigated now. It is is ‘fan’ label that is saving him in my opinion.

I was a huge supporter of Morris but from what I read and see (as this is all I can base my opinion on) unless things dramatically change he will ruin this club for at least a decade by his actions.

On the verge? ?

I think we are way beyond embarrassing at the minute.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I dont blame Morris or Pearce for the EFL charge.

Anything else keeping us under embargo other than that one late of accounts though definitely falls at their feet.

The amortisation charge and the stadium charge are both the fault of Mel and Pearce. We may have got away with the stadium one, but we should never have had to sell it in the first place to remain compliant with ffp. The amortisation charge is again entirely the fault of Mel and Pearce.

Nobody else to blame for the situation we find ourselves in.

3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

The amortisation charge and the stadium charge are both the fault of Mel and Pearce. We may have got away with the stadium one, but we should never have had to sell it in the first place to remain compliant with ffp. The amortisation charge is again entirely the fault of Mel and Pearce.

I can't blame them for something that the EFL gave them the green light to do and then retrospectively changed their minds.

That is like me fining you for driving 30 miles per hour in a 30 mile per hour zone but now Ive changed the limit to 20 miles per hour.

3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

The amortisation charge is a load of baalocks .

Our accounts were signed off 3 years running and what did we get 100K fine retrospectively for not being clear enough. 
As for the stadium sale we were cleared. 
EFL are just vindictive against us because MM batted against the TV deal in the media. 

3 hours ago, Spanish said:

If this had been under the stewardship of someone who wasn’t local the pitchfork demonstrations would have been taking place months ago. 

But we'd probably still be no further along. External circumstances have conspired somewhat to make football clubs less attractive purchases.

37 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Yes he's tried, yes he had good intentions. But he messed it up big time. Sorry but Mel is to blame and so are those around him. A complete disaster.

He tried lol, he has left us in a terrible state, and for me he was full of it, my opinion, but he could not have done a worse job if he tried, and why so much debt, and to owe the tax man all that money is terrible business management, the sooner he is gone the better. 

9 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The amortisation charge is a load of baalocks .

Our accounts were signed off 3 years running and what did we get 100K fine retrospectively for not being clear enough. 
As for the stadium sale we were cleared. 
EFL are just vindictive against us because MM batted against the TV deal in the media. 

Curtains, if you read the DC2 findings it is stated that they did not feel the role of the EFL is to sign off.  They trust the figures provided and god help the club that is less than truthful.  The rule should have been that the returns are supported by an independent auditor that clearly states that amortization is compliant. s.45 states it would place an impossible burden on the EFL to check.  Their rules were too flimsy but at no time did they sign off

5 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

He tried lol, he has left us in a terrible state, and for me he was full of it, my opinion, but he could not have done a worse job if he tried, and why so much debt, and to owe the tax man all that money is terrible business management, the sooner he is gone the better. 

Have to agree

4 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Hate admitting it as I was a supporter of Mel, however, I have to agree now, he's proper cocked this up & needs to go asap. ?

29 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Can't argue with anything you've posted except for the lol. I don't think anyone can really question that he tried. He just failed spectacularly. 

I also think that if this situation isn’t sorted soon allowing Rooney to sign players I could see him quitting.

I actually think Rooney probably has loan players lined up to bolster us. These are most likely season long loans, like Mengi, which we can’t complete due to the embargo.

The question is if the embargo does not get lifted, meaning Rooney goes with what he has, and we get beat in the first five games. Then will the fans blame Rooney or Morris?

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He could have gone down as the best chairman the club has ever seen, but rather than use his money to secure the long term financial future for the club, he has continuously gambled to try and get to the Premier League. 

He's tried, but failed badly, to do both. 

He's poured a lot of money into the academy to try to maintain a steady production of players who could either play in the first team or be sold to generate income. 

He's also a good enough businessman to realise that the championship doesn't, on its own, make business sense. Hence the failed attempts to get a better deal on TV revenue and other "tweaking the tail" of the EFL. 

So his analysis of the problems was spot on - you have to attempt to reach the epl as nothing else would make Derby financially stack up. 

The fact of the matter is that he's failed to do so for so long, we are now a case study for what a medium sized but ambitious provincial club looks like when it tries to operate on championship revenue streams for a prolonged period. 

There will be others no doubt in my mind. Plus we've seen numerous clubs dodge the financial bullet by gaining promotion. 

So I think unluckiest owner certainly. Most misguided in terms of trying to get wider buy in and solutions to the issue, probably. But some views seem to be implying he's wilfully set out to make a mess of everything and dump the debts on the next generation of supporters. There's no evidence of either. 

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

They made disclosures that the auditors were fine with and happy to sign off on.

GSF, are you saying that the disclosures were adequate or that the club were not responsible for them?

9 minutes ago, Spanish said:

GSF, are you saying that the disclosures were adequate or that the club were not responsible for them?

I am saying that DCFC will pay a sizeable fee to auditors who will review the accounts and provide an opinion on whether they give a true and fair view. 

The auditors concluded they did and the directors have therefore complied with their responsibilities. 

Its the first time that I have ever heard of a third party with no accountancy background concluding that a set of accounts do not comply with the Companies Act and requiring those accounts to be amended.

Not only are they requiring amendment of the notes describing the policy, they are requiring the method to be changed, despite a concensus of opinion that the method used complied with FRS. 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't know how anyone can have the brassneck or temerity to post anything remotely critical of Mel Morris, shame on you all.

Makes a change though from all of the hagiographies being spouted recently though from certain individuals.

You’re not leaving us with much else to work with, here.