Please don’t blame Morris and Pearce.

Curtains

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

The only blame I attribute to Mel Morris is

trying to compete with unfair parachute payments 

allowing Sam Rush to operate unmonitored 

Taking his eye so completely off the ball when it comes to recent takeover attempts, but again there are understandable reasons for that.

8 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Quite honestly a portion of blame needs to be put at the door of all the parties involved. The EFL for pursuing a vendetta and not doing their job competently in the first place leading to post facto rules being imposed upon us- hounding us through the courts until they eventually got their judgement whilst letting more egregious cases in the past sail onto the premier league. 

However, pretending Mel and Pearce are blameless in this is borderline lobotomy thinking. They've been playing around with the accounts because we've been spending money we haven't really got and it's led us to this point of absolute financial disaster that is crippling the club. At the same time, Morris has managed to alienate big players in the league and our governing body to the point they're sending out press releases with alternative fixture lists of us going down. It's just further representation of how absolutely dire that man's ownership of this club has been. 

we can all say duck the efl and yes they're a poorly run organisation that are going off the rails but Mel's also put us into this position. I imagine it's become an absolute battle of wills and the collateral damage is the financial and football health of this institution. 

The EFL are not fit for purpose but they represent all clubs many of which may see our practices as wrong, if they did not pursue us in this matter they would be rightfully criticized by all the other clubs.  They are doing their jobs however poorly it may appear

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is it retrospect though? It's still just accounting practices. The time for the EFL to try to be shitty is after we resubmit.

I find it very difficult to absolve M&P from this but as you say that's for another day.  I won't be signing their leaving cards or attending the leaving party tho.?

Maybe its just me but I can't sit here and cry about the EFL after the way we've been operating for the past few years. 

Rolled the dice, failed multiple promotion attempts and have tried loophole after loophole to try and straighten out since. How many non-parachute payment clubs were giving Darren Bent (and the rest) tens of thousands a week in this division? Sold their stadium to themselves? Signed a player through a sponsorship deal? Registered player amortisation different to the required standard? 

I just can't sit here and say we've tried our best to avoid this mess, its been coming. 

If that view makes me less of a Derby fan than the super supporters are, so be it. I'll support the club where ever it ends up but I'm not going to lie about its shady activity post 2014. 

Don’t think you can blame Mel and Pearce for this. As for any sanctions - can’t see any happening unless it can be proven in any appeal we have deliberately misled the EFL. Various panels have looked at this and not called that into question so don’t know how people think a points deduction or retrospective relegation is still possible. 

If on resubmitting accounts we breach spending limits then potentially blame can be apportioned 

As for the ownership situation, yes not great with the Sheikh and then Alonso, but despite all the negative media attention last time I checked we haven’t gone into administration and Mel is still funding the club?

Therefore, right now, there’s not a whole lot to legitimately blame Mel for, that could well change with ownership transfer not happening, Mel pulling out meaning administration and if we breach P&S accounts on resubmission. As of today none of that has happened and there isn’t anything credible to suggest it will right now. 

Edited by BramcoteRam84

I’m astonished by the title of this thread. I haven’t read the opening post because of editorial reasons ? but to me, to not blame the guardian of this football club is laughable.

I assume he thought we would be in the Premier League by now and out of the EFL’s jurisdiction so sailing close to the wind would have little or no consequences. 

I have no doubt Morris had very good intentions for this club and I’ll hold my hands up, I truly believed his ownership/leadership was a good thing, but then, I was under the impression the club would be run in a responsible manner. How wrong was I ? 

Say what you like about goalposts being shifted by the EFL, but if we’d compiled our accounts like the majority of other clubs instead of being smart arses, discovering loopholes and congratulating ourselves on how clever we’d been, this catastrophe (and that’s what it is) would have been avoided. 

Remember the times Morris couldn’t keep his trap shut ? Appearing at forums, TalkSport, EMT, taking in all the adulation of the supporters ? Now we’re up the creek not a duckin’ peep out of the bloke.

Don’t blame Morris an Pearce ? The sooner they’ve gone the better this club will be, our reputation is shot to pieces and the playing side of things ? Don’t get me started on that and it’s down to two people who, it transpires, aren’t as clever as they think they are.

1 minute ago, Pearl Ram said:

I’m astonished by the title of this thread. I haven’t read the opening post because of editorial reasons ? but to me, to not blame the guardian of this football club is laughable.

I assume he thought we would be in the Premier League by now and out of the EFL’s jurisdiction so sailing close to the wind would have little or no consequences. 

I have no doubt Morris had very good intentions for this club and I’ll hold my hands up, I truly believed his ownership/leadership was a good thing, but then, I was under the impression the club would be run in a responsible manner. How wrong was I ? 

Say what you like about goalposts being shifted by the EFL, but if we’d compiled our accounts like the majority of other clubs instead of being smart arses, discovering loopholes and congratulating ourselves on how clever we’d been, this catastrophe (and that’s what it is) would have been avoided. 

Remember the times Morris couldn’t keep his trap shut ? Appearing at forums, TalkSport, EMT, taking in all the adulation of the supporters ? Now we’re up the creek not a duckin’ peep out of the bloke.

Don’t blame Morris an Pearce ? The sooner they’ve gone the better this club will be, our reputation is shot to pieces and the playing side of things ? Don’t get me started on that and it’s down to two people who, it transpires, aren’t as clever as they think they are.

Saying you can't blame Morris and his minion because they care is laughable.

It would be like me offering to do a heart transplant, rather than a heart surgeon, because I care more for the patient.

2 hours ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

This whole FFP thing could be made very simple:

1. Scrap parachute payments.

2. If relegated, all players in relegated team switch to championship contract and pay, this written into all premier league contracts.

3. Limit wages to no more than 75% of forecast trading turnover (Transfer receipts not included) Agreed in advance for each season.

4. Apply wage cap to any individual player wages.

If only it was that simple....

Most clubs already have number 2 applied anyway. 

Number three would become so complicated - what if you unexpectedly sell a player? Does this count the following season or this season? Do you need to consider cash flow as well as P&L? 

A wage cap would be challenged legally and would lose in court unless all teams in the league signed up to it.... and then clubs would automatically start finding ways around it. This happens everywhere.

I've got an even more simple solution - just forget P&S completely. 

The EFL are an incompetent, vindictive shower of useless cretins.

Having said that, I still blame Mel and the various other people in leadership positions at DCFC a lot for this. They kicked the bees nest, the fact the swarm of bees that came out of the nest is a disorganised mess is irrelevant. They kicked it in the first place.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

1 minute ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

What is to blame? Covid? Bad luck? 

Mel/the board  may have had things go against them but they definitely have to take most of the blame for the bad state we are in. 

The accounting period we are being pulled up for pre-dates COVID. Mel can't use that as an excuse.

The EFL might point to it as an excuse for the length of time it's taken but we all know that it's really because they were happy to entertain Gibson's nonsense which delayed things significantly.

4 hours ago, David said:

We’ve been operating as the accounts have been fine as they have been approved and signed off.

As with your analogy, you’re not going to save that kind of money if you’re not expecting a fine. 

Same with the club, spending money.

It’s just wrong. 

If the EFL have decided that our accounting method is actually not allowed, ok, that’s fine, understood, but don’t go looking for retrospective punishment.

Say from the 23/24 season onwards all clubs must use X accounting method. Done, dusted, no complaints.

If the EFL wanted a specific amortisation method for all clubs they should have said so. I am now going to fine all those drivers who weren’t wearing seat belts in 1976

5 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The root of this is the stupid acceptance by the EFL that relegated clubs from the PL can rely on 4 years worth of parachute payments that ensure they have the unfair advantage of retaining or buying the best players thus disadvantaging others in the league who don't benefit from this unfair income. Mel has tried his hardest to circumnavigate his way around this grossly unfair system in an effort to make us competitive.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

4 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Maybe its just me but I can't sit here and cry about the EFL after the way we've been operating for the past few years. 

Rolled the dice, failed multiple promotion attempts and have tried loophole after loophole to try and straighten out since. How many non-parachute payment clubs were giving Darren Bent (and the rest) tens of thousands a week in this division? Sold their stadium to themselves? Signed a player through a sponsorship deal? Registered player amortisation different to the required standard? 

I just can't sit here and say we've tried our best to avoid this mess, its been coming. 

If that view makes me less of a Derby fan than the super supporters are, so be it. I'll support the club where ever it ends up but I'm not going to lie about its shady activity post 2014. 

Not less of a fan. Just less blinkered than most fans