Please don’t blame Morris and Pearce.

Curtains

Jim Wheeler has basically written exactly what he paraphrased in his interviews last week.

We wait to see David’s minutes for balance but from what has been said, and the cryptic tweets of a sun journo who seems to have “some” (only some) insight as to the EFL situation and how it’s affecting transfers, the main thing that has come out is Mel isn’t willing to (or at least won’t commit to at this point) backing the club for the remainder of this season. This could be because it would prejudice ongoing negotiations if he came out and said this which is a fair position.

While he’s made mistakes Mel has in recent years had my backing (or I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt at least) on the basis that he stands behind those mistakes until he passes over his custodianship to someone else. However I’m now for the first time questioning whether he will stand behind his mistakes which is concerning.

We will see with how quickly the embargo is lifted as to whether that is the case. If as Nixon seems to be indicating the current hurdle is the EFL want proof Mel will see through the season if he can’t sell the club, that seems a reasonable and responsible request from the EFL to me. 

I think some posters have been premature to say he’s ruined the club, but he could still ruin it and I think we will find out soon enough. Let’s hope not!!

Edited by BramcoteRam84

On 09/08/2021 at 08:04, Mostyn6 said:

That’s the third use of latte. Shame. 

Agree. Enough of the macch(iat)o posturing. There may be an Amercano takeover incoming, but frankly au laitly it’s difficult to know. Let’s just wait this out.

I’ll get my coat …

On 09/08/2021 at 08:46, BramcoteRam84 said:

Jim Wheeler has basically written exactly what he paraphrased in his interviews last week.

We wait to see David’s minutes for balance but from what has been said, and the cryptic tweets of a sun journo who seems to have “some” (only some) insight as to the EFL situation and how it’s affecting transfers, the main thing that has come out is Mel isn’t willing to (or at least won’t commit to at this point) backing the club for the remainder of this season. This could be because it would prejudice ongoing negotiations if he came out and said this which is a fair position.

While he’s made mistakes Mel has in recent years had my backing (or I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt at least) on the basis that he stands behind those mistakes until he passes over his custodianship to someone else. However I’m now for the first time questioning whether he will stand behind his mistakes which is concerning.

We will see with how quickly the embargo is lifted as to whether that is the case. If as Nixon seems to be indicating the current hurdle is the EFL want proof Mel will see through the season if he can’t sell the club, that seems a reasonable and responsible request from the EFL to me. 

I think some posters have been premature to say he’s ruined the club, but he could still ruin it and I think we will find out soon enough. Let’s hope not!!

Good on you with your support (I mean it), but I'm not sure what he has done to garner such loyalty.  I can't see a single thing worthwhile that he has done and the debacle of the 'meeting' just adds to my fears.

No ground, not paying HMRC, under embargo, survived relegation by the skin of our teeth, not allowed to bring in players (maybe a money issue not just embargo), the club having no real identity apart from being associated with problems.  It is awful, awful, awful

if we were owned by a foreigner the pitchforks would be out long ago.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

Good on you with your support (I mean it), but I'm not sure what he has done to garner such loyalty.  I can't see a single thing worthwhile that he has done and the debacle of the 'meeting' just adds to my fears.

No ground, not paying HMRC, under embargo, survived relegation by the skin of our teeth, not allowed to bring in players (maybe a money issue not just embargo), the club having no real identity apart from being associated with problems.  It is awful, awful, awful

if we were owned by a foreigner the pitchforks would be out long ago.

All valid points even if I don’t agree with them all, but the documentary has not contributed to any of those feelings (or at least I don’t see how it can from what I watched), those are the same views you had and would have had with no documentary. 

I don’t feel any real loyalty to Mel. I feel some of the criticism of him is justified, I think some of it isn’t justified or at the very least premature. He gambled for the right reasons, but he made mistakes and I’ve been quite critical in the past, especially the early years. If he had been less trigger happy early on,  if we had an adequate recruitment policy to supplement the great work he’s done with the academy then we could have done better and got over the line. But in terms of backing the club and FFP, What Mel has done is no different to the owners of Leicester, Bournemouth, Leeds, Villa to name a few, the difference was they got over the line, we didn’t. If he hadn’t put any investment in people would slate him for lack of ambition.

I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt and still will if he stands behind his mistakes, and funds the club until he can find a suitable owner. However the issue with the embargo is now starting to concern me especially if the reason we are still in it is because he won’t commit to funding the club for a period if a buyer isn’t found. He may have a legitimate reason for that like it could weaken his negotiating position with potential buyers.

That being said we need to compete and with the embargo in place it makes things difficult. Therefore the longer this embargo situation goes on my sympathy for Mel will wane.

I think it’s premature to say he’s ruined the club (as some people have suggested), but his actions in the coming months will be key in whether or not he gets out of his tenure with it being an ok job, or whether he becomes the worst owner in our history and comparable with the Oystons. He hasn’t reached that level yet as he’s still paying the bills and we don’t know the ins and outs of the EFL and HMRC situation.

11 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

All valid points even if I don’t agree with them all, but the documentary has not contributed to any of those feelings (or at least I don’t see how it can from what I watched), those are the same views you had and would have had with no documentary. 

I don’t feel any real loyalty to Mel. I feel some of the criticism of him is justified, I think some of it isn’t justified or at the very least premature. He gambled for the right reasons, but he made mistakes and I’ve been quite critical in the past, especially the early years. If he had been less trigger happy early on,  if we had an adequate recruitment policy to supplement the great work he’s done with the academy then we could have done better and got over the line. But in terms of backing the club and FFP, What Mel has done is no different to the owners of Leicester, Bournemouth, Leeds, Villa to name a few, the difference was they got over the line, we didn’t. If he hadn’t put any investment in people would slate him for lack of ambition.

I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt and still will if he stands behind his mistakes, and funds the club until he can find a suitable owner. However the issue with the embargo is now starting to concern me especially if the reason we are still in it is because he won’t commit to funding the club for a period if a buyer isn’t found. He may have a legitimate reason for that like it could weaken his negotiating position with potential buyers.

That being said we need to compete and with the embargo in place it makes things difficult. Therefore the longer this embargo situation goes on my sympathy for Mel will wane.

I think it’s premature to say he’s ruined the club (as some people have suggested), but his actions in the coming months will be key in whether or not he gets out of his tenure with it being an ok job, or whether he becomes the worst owner in our history and comparable with the Oystons. He hasn’t reached that level yet as he’s still paying the bills and we don’t know the ins and outs of the EFL and HMRC situation.

Good post. I am a notch down (or up?) from you in that I think he has gambled the Club's status for his own personal gain and status (I think he convinced himself he could with his money get us into the Premier League in a minimum of 3 years). He would have loved it there. I know many disagree, but the writing was on the wall for all to see the day he walked into the dressing room. 'Sacking' Mac was probably another early and bad mistake (driven in my view by his ego at the time), although I do have some sympathy with him on that as Mac was no doubt flashing his pearly whites at Mike Cashley.

Edited by i-Ram

There may be a lot of things we can throw Mel at the minute but one thing that we have to thank him for is the investment in the youth setup and the vision for youth players having a path way to the first team and expecting managers to integrate them.

I remember the story of Nigel Clough flipping his poo because Forest had picked up a bunch of young talent on our own doorstep. 

We now have a academy that many are envious of, young players want to come to and has consistently over the past few years brought through some great talent.

Cheers Mel

3 minutes ago, seths-cap said:

There may be a lot of things we can throw Mel at the minute but one thing that we have to thank him for is the investment in the youth setup and the vision for youth players having a path way to the first team and expecting managers to integrate them.

I remember the story of Nigel Clough flipping his poo because Forest had picked up a bunch of young talent on our own doorstep. 

We now have a academy that many are envious of, young players want to come to and has consistently over the past few years brought through some great talent.

Cheers Mel

Yer it's just that apparently none of the managers Morris employed played them. Allegedly.