EFL Verdict

DCFC90

49 minutes ago, Stockport Ram said:

Forgive this simple man, but I simply can't get my head around the EFL's "insistance" on DCFC having to re-file accounts for the years in question. They were completed with accounting policies which were legally acceptable under FRS102, so our filed accounts should stand. Even HMRC haven't questioned their legitimacy.    Both the club and the EFL understood that our amortisation of players' values was more than likely to exacerbate losses and increase the likelihood of us failing FFP in future years if we performed poorly on the field (and players lost value), but they did NOT tell us to stop employing it.

They have a right to ask us to resubmit our P&S estimates (and subsequent accounts for efl purposes) for the 3 years ending 16/17/18, but as they were evidently aware, and more importantly UNDERSTOOD our ERV method by May '19 and didn't instruct us to change it, I'm not sure on what legal basis they can enforce us to do it now.

It is in effect saying that they agreed that we were playing by their rules at the time, but they have had a re-think, and now have decided that we weren't. 

I am convinced that we broke the spirit of the "law" , but not the efl regulations themselves as they stood.  The decision to fine DCFC makes no logical sense in my tiny brain.

Do the EFL actually realise that by making this "point" they are making themselves look even more ridiculous and inept?

If we had been truthful in explaining the methodology in the accounts I don’t think the efl would have a leg to stand on.  Not aimed at you but blaming efl, Gibbo, Wycombe etc is like having a car accident and immediately looking to blame someone else.  We are the architects of this mess

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

If we had been truthful in explaining the methodology in the accounts I don’t think the efl would have a leg to stand on.  Not aimed at you but blaming efl, Gibbo, Wycombe etc is like having a car accident and immediately looking to blame someone else.  We are the architects of this mess

yes but at the end of the day it is just a different but legal accountancy practice. The EFL could have intervened much much earlier and the question is now surely about a proportionate sanction. Personally I feel the DC has come up with exactly that, but it looks likely that the EFL will not let it lie and do not recognise that they themselves have played no small part in the problem.

I don't think I've seen our fanbase so panicky since we last had to defend a corner......

May be it's right to be panicky.  I'm always struck, though, by how many people immediately leap to us being doomed to all sorts of terrible things - administration, points deductions in more than one season, etc etc. I do wonder what people were expecting.  We were referred to the DC solely for a sanction to be applied.  Given the amortisation issue, we were bound to have to refile the accounts.  However, from what little I understand of these things, it seems far from certain that we're going to breach the FFP limits, and even if we did a retrospective sanction is probably unworkable. As for the fine, I bet Mel & co can't believe their luck - it's about as derisory (to the EFL) as we could have hoped for.

Speaking of Mel, I see many feel that he is largely responsible for where we are.  Perhaps he is. He's made many mistakes over the last seven years.  Funnily enough, I've made some mistakes too during that time, and its just possible that one or two other posters have as well.  I didn't, though, make the cardinal error of spending £200m of my own money on something that, had it come off, would have lifted an entire city and thrilled many thousands of others, while also bringing untold economic benefits to Derbyshire. I've seen somewhere (possibly on here) someone saying that we're in a worse place now than under the Three Amigos.  Given that one regime led to criminal convictions for stealing from us while the other has spent £200m  of their own money(however unwisely), that seemed an interesting moral comparison to me.  As for our inevitable relegation, compare George Burley season 1 with George Burley season 2 - very little is a given in football.

I note that some are saying the takeover must be off.  I can't help feeling though that the possibility of getting sanctions from a DC that was set up solely to apply those sanctions may have occurred to those involved in the negotiations.  What would our prospective bidders have assumed that those sanctions might be - could it be that they would have to have their hair done by Mel's barber?  Or would they be forced to listen to repeat playings of Queen's greatest hits?  Or could they possibly have guessed that it might have something to do with our future league status, in which case we couldn't have criticised them for walking away, although there is no actual evidence that they have done so.

So should we panic now?  Or should we spend quality time with our other halves, speak to the kids, load the dishwasher, read a book, binge on a box set, order a take away, debate Anton's appointment as a Strictly judge, dig the garden, play golf, watch Derbyshire CCC (OK maybe not that one...).  We can't influence what's going to happen no matter what anguish we go through, and so I'm going to save my panicking for when an attack of ours breaks down, and Huddersfield's star player (or possibly Accrington Stanley's) spots that Marshy is nearer their goal line than ours...............

Just now, Eatonram said:

yes but at the end of the day it is just a different but legal accountancy practice. The EFL could have intervened much much earlier and the question is now surely about a proportionate sanction. Personally I feel the DC has come up with exactly that, but it looks likely that the EFL will not let it lie and do not recognise that they themselves have played no small part in the problem.

I will say it again, the EFL are driven by the whole of the clubs they represent. Know thy enemy, we have put too many noses out of joint and there are a few queuing up now 

Just now, Spanish said:

I will say it again, the EFL are driven by the whole of the clubs they represent. Know thy enemy, we have put too many noses out of joint and there are a few queuing up now 

It's also the case the EFL have painted themselves into such a corner that they have no option but to try to get us relegated because all the other clubs believe that's what should happen and they believe that because of the way the efl have acted.............not so much tail wag the dog as bear swinging dog around in it's mouth.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's also the case the EFL have painted themselves into such a corner that they have no option but to try to get us relegated because all the other clubs believe that's what should happen and they believe that because of the way the efl have acted.............not so much tail wag the dog as bear swinging dog around in it's mouth.

Imagine the wails of anguish from EFL HQ when the restated p&s calcs come out OK, but only because of the stadium transaction which their "expert witness" was so derided over and which they have completely lost... ?

4 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Yes. And still we are issuing combative club statements ! Lunacy 

I thought that was a good pre-emptive strike. No use letting the EFL dock points and then try and appeal them, we need to stop the EFLs idea that docking points retrospectively is ever an option (for any team tbh).

Edited by RoyMac5

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

For us to not be playing Championship football next season, one of two routes have to be taken.

1. The EFL appeal against their successful appeal. A new DC then determine the punishment to be inappropriate and hand out a harsher one. Given it's the timescales to get to this point, it seems unlikely that will happen in just 6 weeks.
  2. The club submits 3 sets of accounts, the EFL review them, then charge us again (if it turns out we've exceeded the 3 year limit), we go to the DC, then we appeal, then we appeal the appeal... not going to happen. Especially as we have until the 18th of August (10 days into the season) to submit those accounts

On to the restated P&S accounts:
KM (10/05) - £12.5m over the limit
KM (04/06) - "within the limits"
Me - £1.7m under the limit
Mr Popodopolous - £2.5m over the limit

Take your pick on the most likely answer.

Where was this buddy? I remember it being something like this but can't find those figures...

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

I’m up for that.

I'd be up for us hiring an industrial paint sprayer, getting @Eddie to make one of his super hot curries, with us all on the forum consuming a large portion, having us all expell the molten liquid mess gurgling away in our bowels into a large vat, filling the paint sprayer with it and coating for irremovably stained eternity the words  "duck The EFL" on a wall at their headquarters.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

For us to not be playing Championship football next season, one of two routes have to be taken.

1. The EFL appeal against their successful appeal. A new DC then determine the punishment to be inappropriate and hand out a harsher one. Given it's the timescales to get to this point, it seems unlikely that will happen in just 6 weeks.
  2. The club submits 3 sets of accounts, the EFL review them, then charge us again (if it turns out we've exceeded the 3 year limit), we go to the DC, then we appeal, then we appeal the appeal... not going to happen. Especially as we have until the 18th of August (10 days into the season) to submit those accounts

On to the restated P&S accounts:
KM (10/05) - £12.5m over the limit
KM (04/06) - "within the limits"
Me - £1.7m under the limit
Mr Popodopolous - £2.5m over the limit

Take your pick on the most likely answer.

Agree totally with what u say 

my question is wtf ?!!!

Option one … how many DCs can they ask … or can they just keep going til they get the answer and punishment they so badly want 

I want Derby and Mel to come out a take the ducker to court over damages