Tom Lawrence

belperram9

23 hours ago, Mckram said:

I didn’t mean he would get in, just saying that they’d get the best out of him.

Although I wouldn’t have said that Stuart Dallas was any better than him. 

Its only an opinion but I'd say that Stuart Dallas is light years ahead of Lawrence, and not just in terms of attitude and discipline.

He has made the absolute most of his ability and has mental strength in abundance.

2 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

Its only an opinion but I'd say that Stuart Dallas is light years ahead of Lawrence, and not just in terms of attitude and discipline.

He has made the absolute most of his ability and has mental strength in abundance.

I agree he’s maximised his ability, but I’d put that down to Bielsa. Same with Bamford, he even admitted himself that he was a lazy striker before Bielsa and that he’s taken him to another level. 

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Great potential under a decent manager and coaching...

I disagree, to be honest. I think he's hit his ceiling and any talk of potential is more wishful thinking than anything. And if we can get a reasonable fee for him this summer, I'd let him go.

But we really bloody needed him towards the back end of the season. When you've got nobody in the team offering anything moving forward, someone like Lawrence becomes vital.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's his maddening inconsistency that drives you up the wall with him.

If he could have his good games just a bit more frequently he'd be really good to have in this league.

But yeah, if we're still skint he's one of the sellable players, someone would think "I can get his good games more often"

But if he could have his good games more consistently he would not be playing for us and never would have

At times in his time here, he has been the only ‘creative’ source in the team. Good squads need competition in the wide areas because they are all inconsistent especially at the level that we are at. We haven’t had that since 2015, back then it wasn’t a problem if Ward or Russell had an off day because Ibe or whoever else there was then could come on.

The criticism of him drives me mad at times as it feels like he is held to a higher standard than others. 

Premiership ability with League One consistency, that’s why he’s with us and not at a higher level. I do think he’s scapegoated a lot and often unfairly down to his obvious ability. 

Think he needs better players round him to be fair as this season he’s been one of very few players willing to play forwards with the ball regularly. But when it doesn’t work out he’s targeted by fans, but players like him that have a go are always going to be inconsistent at this level of football. 

I made a New Year's Resolution to only say positive things about Tom.

Well done Tom!

Great impact in lots of our recent goals.

I really enjoyed your cross to Waghorn in the last game!

(And it's brilliant that it no longer entered my mind that you were about to either take a long range shot, or dribble into trouble.) (Was that down to you, or down to coaching?)