Roos

IslandExile

1 minute ago, angieram said:

As others have said, you won't get the perfect all-round keeper in the Championship. I think Roos is definitely one of the better ones. He has far more pluses than minuses.

I think he is as good a choice as Marshall was. I preferred the way Marshall seemed to command his defence, they took confidence from it. But Roos has started to look confident too. He was always a decent shot-stopper and decent with his feet. Lets see if he moves on up this season. 

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Roos has become a good Championship keeper, who still has weaknesses to his game. Ultimately, though, he was the reason we got into the play-offs under Lampard. The performance away at Bristol City, which proved vital, was one of the best I've seen from a goalkeeper at Derby in 30 years. If we don't win that, we don't get in the play-offs. He then went on to make the mistake at Wembley, but we were outmatched by a better team. No grievances from me. 

I'd be ok with either Marshall or Roos in goal. I like Marshall more, in all honesty, but Roos is a decent enough keeper. Marshall is a decent enough keeper. Both will make mistakes. Roos' weaknesses are more glaring, but ultimately he's a fantastic shot stopper and has been for a while now. All this being said: we are only one mistake from labelling him the worst keeper in the world. It's an unfair standard set upon him. 

This is where I come out with my usual line.....we ready for it?

Fix a Championship players weaknesses, you have a Premier League player on your hands.

I do think we have, and not alone in this, a number of vocal fans both inside and outside the stadium that cannot grasp the fact we are in the Championship, and the players we have will make mistakes and have weaknesses to their game.

Is this down to more football being on TV, Premier League, Champions League, seeing the worlds best players through the week and then turning up to Pride Park on a Saturday watching Lawrence and Jozwiak struggling to switch back to Championship football...?‍♂️

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

Thing is, I know loads of regular home and away match-goers and they all rate Roos. I don't know anyone who isn't a fan (unlike say Martin, whereas opinion was divided.)

I do wonder about the IQ of some of our more vocal supporters. There was one just behind me in the West Stand last night and he was making such a nuisance of himself he hardly watched the game. But I bet he's got very strong opinions on everyone who played. 

When CKR's shot hit Jozwiak's back he yelled "You Polish c***" at the top of his voice in a stand full of families. There's no way Joz wouldn't have heard that. As I say, embarrassing.

That's more than embarrassing, its downright disgusting behaviour. Trouble is, unless you are prepared to potentially get into a confrontation/fight nothing is done. 

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

57 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'd be ok with either Marshall or Roos in goal. I like Marshall more, in all honesty, but Roos is a decent enough keeper. Marshall is a decent enough keeper. Both will make mistakes. Roos' weaknesses are more glaring, but ultimately he's a fantastic shot stopper and has been for a while now. All this being said: we are only one mistake from labelling him the worst keeper in the world. It's an unfair standard set upon him. 

I think the constant challenge with Roos is - Do the defence feel confident with him behind them?

It's not an easy thing to judge from the outside but I always felt in the past the defence looked a bit nervous when he was in goal - That when we had Carson and then Marshall they looked more comfortable - Mostly because both seem to keep a dialogue going with their defence and provide instruction - But also because they're both 'safe hands'

I think Roos is a much better shot stopper than Marshall and has definitely improved his game massively over the last couple of years - However I also think his mistakes are the kind which make defenders nervous and I'm not sure he's as commanding a part of the overall defence as we need - I like a goalkeeper who is a confident, secure presence even if they aren't going to make quite as many fantastic saves

Roos isn’t as bad as people make him out to be. Like all keepers he’s makes the odd blunder, sadly his always seem to happen in high profile games.

Not a huge fan of stats but they often show him as one of the better keepers in the league.

For a player who cost us next to nothing he’s done well for us.

7 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Well done Kelle , you have put the incident at Wembley firmly behind you , you have listened , trained hard and shown a lot of patience , get out there this season and show the rest of the championship jusy why you are Derbys number 1

Echo this whole heartedly. I hope he has a decent run of games. 

On 29/07/2021 at 12:42, IslandExile said:

One incident.... The play off final against Villa, whose player later admitted he thought it should've been a foul.

I don't think its based on just one game and it was never a foul it was poor judgment simple as that

I think he has improved but still worries me at times but was superb against Betis

Remember that phase we went through where, every time he caught the ball successfully, the crowd cheered and clapped sarcastically?

Yeah, that wasn't pleasant.

I've always said that he's a solid Championship keeper that would start for a lot of teams in this league. We are where we are and he's more than capable of contributing to the team.

4 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Remember that phase we went through where, every time he caught the ball successfully, the crowd cheered and clapped sarcastically?

Yeah, that wasn't pleasant.

I've always said that he's a solid Championship keeper that would start for a lot of teams in this league. We are where we are and he's more than capable of contributing to the team.

And that for me unfortunately sums up quite a chunk of our so called supporters with their 'i've paid my money so I can do what I like' attitude.

We all have negative views and opinions of certain players, but how can anyone with half a brain cell believe that berating players like in the example above, have anything but a negative impact on results and performances on the pitch?