Roos

IslandExile

He's an athlete, tall, strong, good shot stopper, good with the ball at his feet, maybe he's one of those goalkeepers who improves with age.

If he improves his ability to come and claim the ball, confident to know when to catch and when to punch, he'll be a top keeper.

If he had learnt that a bit sooner we'd be in the Prem. (still can't forgive him for Villa's second goal at Wembley)

10 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

He's an athlete, tall, strong, good shot stopper, good with the ball at his feet, maybe he's one of those goalkeepers who improves with age.

If he improves his ability to come and claim the ball, confident to know when to catch and when to punch, he'll be a top keeper.

If he had learnt that a bit sooner we'd be in the Prem. (still can't forgive him for Villa's second goal at Wembley)

To be fair, whether he dropped it or not, I think we were second best in that game.

you could blame it Lampard not setting up right, but Villa were on fire at that time, and we were always the underdogs in that game. 

maybe we could’ve held on for a win if he hadn’t have dropped it, and we’d got a bit of luck along the way. But we wouldn’t really have deserved it. 

not like against QPR, where we were clearly the better team from start to finish. That one you can lay squarely at the feet of one individual mistake... (I’m obviously referring to not starting Bryson, stupid mcclaren). 

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I think he did come and claim the ball excellently yesterday!

Was that a sign of learning or is he just more confident when the crosses are launched from the deep like yesterday?

He did well, but nearly all of the catches were made with the defender shielding the ball away from their attacker. There weren't many balls put in on top of him, into a crowded box with the close attentions of an opposition player and with a decision to be made.

Still, he was proactive in making sure he was on the move and first to the ball and if he doesn't make that save straight after half time we lose the match.

Edited by Coconut

Said this for ages, Roos is a good championship keeper and gets way too much abuse. Marshall has also on the flip side been very average, yet he's being made to be "the next Poom" by a lot of our fans. Roos gets enormous amounts of criticism yet doesn't deserve to. People go on about Roos not being commanding enough, can people honestly tell me Marshall is commanding? 

Take a look at this thread and tell me Marshall is better than average? You can't. I know stats aren't the be all and end all but this certainly backs up the eye test for me. The guy put Roos into the same first graph, but for Roos' all time championship stats, as he hasn't played enough games this season so his stats get massively swayed. 

image.thumb.png.cd1bd5eb7f27603fb7528a5f05493fbb.png

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

9 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

To be fair, whether he dropped it or not, I think we were second best in that game.

McGinn headed it out of his hands, it was a foul, even McGinn said so himself. The only thing Roos should've done differently was put the boot on McGinn, or at least a knee. 

4 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Said this for ages, Roos is a good championship keeper and gets way too much abuse. Marshall has also on the flip side been very average, yet he's being made to be "the next Poom" by a lot of our fans. Roos gets enormous amounts of criticism yet doesn't deserve to. People go on about Roos not being commanding enough, can people honestly tell me Marshall is commanding? 

Take a look at this thread and tell me Marshall is better than average? You can't. I know stats aren't the be all and end all but this certainly backs up the eye test for me. The guy put Roos into the same first graph, but for Roos' all time championship stats, as he hasn't played enough games this season so his stats get massively swayed. 

image.thumb.png.cd1bd5eb7f27603fb7528a5f05493fbb.png

Agree about Roos, although I think Marshall is an excellent keeper despite a couple of clangers in recent months. Carson is the closest we have had to Poom for me. Absolutely quality keeper. People are obsessed with Roos either because of Wembley or because they think keepers should always catch the ball from crosses. People don’t take into account what keepers are coached these days, flight of the ball and weather conditions. Also, Derby fans NEED a scapegoat and if Keogh isn’t around, Roos is a good substitute. 

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Careful. You're edging closer to saying something positive ?

He didn't make a cluck up was my point so against that extremely low bar he did ok. The issue is that he will always be measured against that extremely low bar until he starts to show that he is capable of playing a sustained amount of games without dropping an absolute ricket given his past history. Only time will tell on that. 

16 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

He didn't make a cluck up was my point so against that extremely low bar he did ok. The issue is that he will always be measured against that extremely low bar until he starts to show that he is capable of playing a sustained amount of games without dropping an absolute ricket given his past history. Only time will tell on that. 

What "absolute ricket" has he dropped so far this season? He's kept 3 clean sheets in 7 starts for us, didn't concede in the game he came on. Won us the games vs Bournemouth and QPR. He's conceded 7 goals in 7.5 games, 4 of those which came in one game. 

Edited by Jubbs

1 minute ago, Jubbs said:

What "absolute ricket" has he dropped so far this season? He's kept 3 clean sheets in 7 starts for us, didn't concede in the game he came on. Won us the games vs Bournemouth and QPR. He's conceded 7 goals in 7.5 games, 4 of those which came in one game. 

If you call 7 matches a sustained number of games then we live on different planets. The word sustained was used deliberately in my post to avoid retorts such as this. 

But I agree with the stats you've quoted as I am unable to prove them to be incorrect.