Roos

IslandExile

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not many teams get anywhere with only 8 good players! 

I think signing good players sounds a great idea. In our current situation we could at least sign/loan players with potential to increase their value. Rather than splashing out huge sums on players that just 'depreciate'.

I think we played all our games with 11 on the pitch though. The other 3 must have been pretty much absent in their performances, if they destroyed the efforts of the other 8.

I'd say we perhaps had 8 mediocre players rather than good players. Actually I'd go as far as to say we played mostly 11 mediocre players.

If they are better than mediocre, how were they so sub-optimally managed to end up 21st with a game to go?

11 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

He would be the best keeper in league one... I’d bet actual money with you on it.

I don't know what I'm not seeing that everyone else seems to. To me he looks terrible almost every game.

Is this not the same keeper who was struggling out on loan at Plymouth and Port Vale not long ago?

24 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I knew that was what you meant. I just don't think in the post-Covid (below Prem) football world it will matter as much. ?

I wish I had a pair of your rose-tinted specs mate - I don't think the game will change all that much - Players are still gonna rate themselves and they're gonna have agents pushing them towards more lucrative deals at teams further up the league

25 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I don't know what I'm not seeing that everyone else seems to. To me he looks terrible almost every game.

Is this not the same keeper who was struggling out on loan at Plymouth and Port Vale not long ago?

He improved since then and to me he has improved again this season. However he is probably a league one/Championship level player, and makes mistakes too often.

Still gives me a nervous twitch every time he tries to claim a cross ?

3 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

He improved since then and to me he has improved again this season. However he is probably a league one/Championship level player, and makes mistakes too often.

Still gives me a nervous twitch every time he tries to claim a cross ?

How has he improved? He seems to make multiple errors every game. He can't catch or punch. He is good at closing down strikers and making hollywood saves which is all people seem to remember for some reason, and people seem to forget all of Marshalls amazing saves. He cost us in the play-off final and he cost us what could be a crucial point vs Swansea. 

How many mistakes has Marshall actually made? I can only remember about 3. While I can think of at least 5 Roos has made, and he's played less games. 

18 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

How has he improved? He seems to make multiple errors every game. He can't catch or punch. He is good at closing down strikers and making hollywood saves which is all people seem to remember for some reason, and people seem to forget all of Marshalls amazing saves. He cost us in the play-off final and he cost us what could be a crucial point vs Swansea. 

How many mistakes has Marshall actually made? I can only remember about 3. While I can think of at least 5 Roos has made, and he's played less games. 

You don't have to convince me, Marshall is a lot better in my opinion. Just saying Roos is not as bad as he used to be. 

3 hours ago, DCFClks said:

This is where I know you're chatting absolute rubbish.

If you can highlight the 5 "mistakes" Roos has made as I'm incredibly interested as I'm sure you wouldn't say it was a mistake if Marshall did the same thing. In his last 2 games, I can already think of 3 "mistakes" which I know for certain you would call a mistake if it was Roos.

Preston's first he has papadum wrists to not save the shot.
Preston's second he palms a weak cross into the only striker in the boxes path, rather than leaving it out for a throw, catching it or punching it anywhere but their strikers path.
Blackburn's 2nd he palms into our own net.

These are instantly 3 "mistakes" that people would almost definitely criticise Roos for. He's also caused 2 goals directly from an shocking error, Barnsley and Forest, whereas Roos as directly caused a grand total of 0.

5 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

This is where I know you're chatting absolute rubbish.

If you can highlight the 5 "mistakes" Roos has made as I'm incredibly interested as I'm sure you wouldn't say it was a mistake if Marshall did the same thing. In his last 2 games, I can already think of 3 "mistakes" which I know for certain you would call a mistake if it was Roos.

Preston's first he has papadum wrists to not save the shot.
Preston's second he palms a weak cross into the only striker in the boxes path, rather than leaving it out for a throw, catching it or punching it anywhere but their strikers path.
Blackburn's 2nd he palms into our own net.

These are instantly 3 "mistakes" that people would almost definitely criticise Roos for. He's also caused 2 goals directly from an shocking error, Barnsley and Forest, whereas Roos as directly caused a grand total of 0.

With Preston's first he could have done better but it wasn't a mistake, it was still a powerful header.

Preston's second was a mistake

With Blackburn's second was one where he could have done better but it also wasn't a mistake. He also made 2 huge saves just before that goal.

The whole Birmingham game Roos never once came out for there long throw-ins, there were also numerous occasions of miscommunication with the defenders like in most of his games.

vs Swansea a massive error where he's behind the line for some reason

vs Stoke Roos palmed it straight to there striker but luckily they missed.

vs Brentford Roos beaten at his near post, possibly harsh to call it a mistake 

Cardiff's second he flaps at the header, also flaps at there 4th

vs Forest Roos spills a pea roller 

That's just the ones on the highlights, there was more. It's not a coincidence that every time we play Roos the opposition put more crosses/aerial balls into the box

43 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

The whole Birmingham game Roos never once came out for there long throw-ins, there were also numerous occasions of miscommunication with the defenders like in most of his games.

vs Swansea a massive error where he's behind the line for some reason

vs Stoke Roos palmed it straight to there striker but luckily they missed.

vs Brentford Roos beaten at his near post, possibly harsh to call it a mistake 

Cardiff's second he flaps at the header, also flaps at there 4th

vs Forest Roos spills a pea roller 

Are we now going to pretend Marshall comes out and claims more crosses than Roos does? Roos comes out for nearly 3 times as many crosses per game than Marshall does.

Swansea wasn't a "massive error" and I'd be more worried Whittaker managed to win a header vs our 2 centre backs.

Stoke they didn't score from that.

Brentford sure he got beaten at his near post, but shouldn't have been allowed to get the shot off and difficult to see.

Cardiff I have erased that game from my memory.

Forest was not a pea roller in the slightest and he did well to recover and save.

If you're using "mistakes" that haven't even lead to goals for Roos, why aren't you keeping track of the numerous times Marshall has caused shots from his errors etc. 

My whole point around Roos vs Marshall is none of them are as good as each other. They are both average championship keepers. I stick up for Roos as he gets an incredible amount of abuse because of his Wembley mistake, he gets put in an unfair spotlight where everything he does is scrutinized. The best thing for Roos to do is leave, as our toxic fanbase will always jeer when he plays and go to a club where he won't get abused like he does by our fans.

Edited by Jubbs

49 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Are we now going to pretend Marshall comes out and claims more crosses than Roos does? Roos comes out for nearly 3 times as many crosses per game than Marshall does.

Swansea wasn't a "massive error" and I'd be more worried Whittaker managed to win a header vs our 2 centre backs.

Stoke they didn't score from that.

Brentford sure he got beaten at his near post, but shouldn't have been allowed to get the shot off and difficult to see.

Cardiff I have erased that game from my memory.

Forest was not a pea roller in the slightest and he did well to recover and save.

If you're using "mistakes" that haven't even lead to goals for Roos, why aren't you keeping track of the numerous times Marshall has caused shots from his errors etc. 

My whole point around Roos vs Marshall is none of them are as good as each other. They are both average championship keepers. I stick up for Roos as he gets an incredible amount of abuse because of his Wembley mistake, he gets put in an unfair spotlight where everything he does is scrutinized. The best thing for Roos to do is leave, as our toxic fanbase will always jeer when he plays and go to a club where he won't get abused like he does by our fans.

But is he successful every time he comes out?

I disagree, the Swansea goal was a big error. He should have caught it.

You say the Forest shot wasn't weak, but then slate Marshall for not saving a more powerful and closer header vs Preston.

Why does it matter if it lead to a goal or not? They've both parried it straight to an opposition striker recently but Roos was lucky the striker made a terrible miss, that doesn't mean the mistake was less bad.

Watch the Cardiff game, like Marshall vs Preston but worse.

I didn't like the abuse he got after Wembley, but the fact is he did make a key error. Imagine if he made another error against S.Wed?

Marshall was part of the defense when we had our brief good spell this season 

10 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Marshall was part of the defense when we had our brief good spell this season 

And how much was he needed during those games? 

Untested Vs Millwall, Stoke, Swansea, Birmingham. 

Major error Vs Brentford where Mbuemo missed.

Mistake Vs Sheff Wednesday, you go on about Roos and crosses, wtf is Marshall doing for their goal?

In comes Roos, is a major reason we keep clean sheets Vs Bournemouth and QPR. 

6 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

You don't have to convince me, Marshall is a lot better in my opinion. Just saying Roos is not as bad as he used to be. 

Marshall started well with us but is just as liable to make mistakes as Roos, not much to choose between the two. Maybe go for Marshall who has a bit more big match experience...

On 11/03/2021 at 13:45, ramit said:

Roos is a good keeper who needs to keep improving.  The best way to do that is being first choice, i prefer him in goal over Marshall

At this point I can’t decide who I prefer. This says so much about how Kelle has improved and gained confidence. He worried us all sick when we last saw a match in person. The catching, or lack of it, was scary. He’s come through that and is looking like a sound keeper now. 

it can’t be easy if you’re 20 something and you have a couple of nightmares in front of 25k fans of any stripe. I think it is a credit to his character that he’s put that demon back under the bed. ..... ROOOOOOOOOSSSS ! ?

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

And what exactly are you trying to prove here? This is exactly the problem. People bringing up past mistake is why he's never going to win with our toxic fan base. Same problem Keogh had. No matter how good you are after, you still get constantly reminded of 1 mistake you made. 

If only it was that one mistake. His supporters go on and on about how the haterz won't forgive him Wembley. But I thought he was naff before then! He was nowt but a decent shot-stopper.

Thought he'd sorted himself out when he came in for Marshall, but unfortunately Swansea is another Wembley. If not the first goal he should certainly have stopped the second, not even a decent shot-stopper. Pressure gets to him I think.