Roos

IslandExile

56 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Could our recent goalkeeper struggles possibly have something to do with the fact that we moved our Goalkeeper Coach to First Team Coach and just promoted the academy Goalkeeper Coach to the first team? 

Do we even have anyone teaching our academy goalkeepers at the moment?

do we even have anyone teaching anyone at the moment.?

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

Could our recent goalkeeper struggles possibly have something to do with the fact that we moved our Goalkeeper Coach to First Team Coach and just promoted the academy Goalkeeper Coach to the first team? 

Do we even have anyone teaching our academy goalkeepers at the moment?

Possibly but things weren't exactly all rosy when he was coaching the keepers.

On 01/05/2021 at 17:44, RoyMac5 said:

Both goals down to Roos, particularly the second. Beaten at his near post, gets a soft hand to it. First he was too slow to it - that's according to Sky commo.

Need a new keeper neither is now consistent enough.

Won't that mean spending money - and you've accused Mel of throwing money away at a rate of knots which is why we're in the poo?

That's what I find annoying about fans. It's Mel's fault for wasting money. Now, Mel, go and waste some more.

23 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Won't that mean spending money - and you've accused Mel of throwing money away at a rate of knots which is why we're in the poo?

That's what I find annoying about fans. It's Mel's fault for wasting money. Now, Mel, go and waste some more.

You mean the only goalkeepers available have to cost a fortune? Yes that is very Morris! I expect there could be some wheeling and dealing, sell a keeper? Or is that too obvious? Plus I think it's possible that Foster is good enough already for the bench! 

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

You mean the only goalkeepers available have to cost a fortune? Yes that is very Morris! I expect there could be some wheeling and dealing, sell a keeper? Or is that too obvious? Plus I think it's possible that Foster is good enough already for the bench! 

Never heard you mention Foster before, which is odd as we were talking about our #1 and #2 not being good enough.

Which suggests we need an upgrade, normally that costs money. I mean, if you have some idea who we could go for who would cost less than we could sell our current keeper/s, and at the same time improve them, go ahead and suggest them. Personally I agree with Aristotle who said that exchange implies commensurability, so getting more for less is not the normal way of things.

18 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Never heard you mention Foster before, which is odd as we were talking about our #1 and #2 not being good enough.

Which suggests we need an upgrade, normally that costs money. I mean, if you have some idea who we could go for who would cost less than we could sell our current keeper/s, and at the same time improve them, go ahead and suggest them. Personally I agree with Aristotle who said that exchange implies commensurability, so getting more for less is not the normal way of things.

So just because I can't suggest a keeper that we might go for, and because you've never heard of Foster who is training with the first team squad, it means it is extravagant? ? 

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So just because I can't suggest a keeper that we might go for, and because you've never heard of Foster who is training with the first team squad, it means it is extravagant? ? 

I didn't say anything about who I'd heard of. I said you've never said "we should play Foster" despite having two keepers you don't rate angling for first choice.

15 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I didn't say anything about who I'd heard of. I said you've never said "we should play Foster" despite having two keepers you don't rate angling for first choice.

I never said play Foster, I said he was probably good enough for the bench.

The whole point of your comment seemed to be trying to put me in 'ungrateful to Morris fan wanting to spend on keeper'! I pointed out to you that we could sell one keeper and even replace the other with Foster - no mention of huge spending.

We need a reliable keeper and it's unlikely to be Roos so why pay him to sit on the bench?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I never said play Foster, I said he was probably good enough for the bench.

The whole point of your comment seemed to be trying to put me in 'ungrateful to Morris fan wanting to spend on keeper'! I pointed out to you that we could sell one keeper and even replace the other with Foster - no mention of huge spending.

We need a reliable keeper and it's unlikely to be Roos so why pay him to sit on the bench?

But you have been very critical of Morris spending money. And you now suggest we need a different keeper.

We've clearly spent money on the wrong acquisitions, whether that's Morris' fault or not I'm not aware. I'd like to think he's backed his manager in their choices with as much money as we can afford. If he's delegated the recruitment to someone else then I would have sympathy with the view he's responsible for wasting money. If he's brought in managers who mainly we've agreed with, and backed them in the transfer market, I think he's done the right thing and our managers have failed him (and us).

The playing squad isn't good enough, that's plain to see. Changing it will cost money, money we don't have. Yes we can "wheel and deal" a bit but it will take more than a couple of bargain deals to get us fighting. It needs a slow, methodical rebuild similar to Nigel managed. And the thought of 5 years of Nigel style football fills me with dread. 

I still think no way should this squad be entering the last game at risk of relegation. The Rooney bandwagon has a lot to answer for. Mel has questions to answer for with regards to our position. The players certainly have to own up to their failings this season. It's been a poostorm from start to finish, and let's pray it doesn't finish with total disaster on Saturday.

Nobody comes out of this season with a good reputation, except maybe Bielik.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

53 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

C'mon dude - Be fair

You can't expect to improve your keeper unless you have money to spend or there happens to be a keeper available on a free who wants to come to a team at the bottom end of the Championship

This season Marshall is the exact quality of keeper we were able to attract for a mid-table side who has historically been at the top end of the league - After this season we won't even have that level of draw any more - So is a keeper of Marshalls quality going to want to join us?

On top of that you talk about selling a keeper and using that to fund a purchase? For that you'd have to assume anyone would pay money for either of ours - An old keeper and one who has proved that under pressure he has a tendency to crumble? Maybe a couple of hundred grand for the both? This isn't the 1970s where you could sell a player for a coupla grand and buy another for a coupla grand more - We'd need a couple of million to attract someone really decent in

And if you're going to say "well it's possible" then that's not much of a contribution - It's possible that we could get Mart Poom out of retirement and he'd be as good as he was in his 20s - It's possible that we could sign Neuer - It's possible that we could find a wonderkid which who no one knew about down Chaddo Park - It's all very possible but not very likely - So unless you have a proactive suggestion of a player who would be available at the right fee what's the point in your argument?

22 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

But you have been very critical of Morris spending money. And you now suggest we need a different keeper.

We've clearly spent money on the wrong acquisitions, whether that's Morris' fault or not I'm not aware. I'd like to think he's backed his manager in their choices with as much money as we can afford. If he's delegated the recruitment to someone else then I would have sympathy with the view he's responsible for wasting money. If he's brought in managers who mainly we've agreed with, and backed them in the transfer market, I think he's done the right thing and our managers have failed him (and us).

The playing squad isn't good enough, that's plain to see. Changing it will cost money, money we don't have. Yes we can "wheel and deal" a bit but it will take more than a couple of bargain deals to get us fighting. It needs a slow, methodical rebuild similar to Nigel managed. And the thought of 5 years of Nigel style football fills me with dread. 

I still think no way should this squad be entering the last game at risk of relegation. The Rooney bandwagon has a lot to answer for. Mel has questions to answer for with regards to our position. The players certainly have to own up to their failings this season. It's been a poostorm from start to finish, and let's pray it doesn't finish with total disaster on Saturday.

Nobody comes out of this season with a good reputation, except maybe Bielik.

Yes, neither keeper seems reliable enough. You seem to be suggesting there will be no transfer budget? If there is none then spend by reallocating wages or sell. 

I disagree it has to be another Nigel type rebuild - there will be a squad budget, it will be down to the manager on how it is spent, unless the new owner buys the players. There will be loans available and lots of out of contract players.

If there is no new owner then maybe Mel will sack Rooney like he sacked Cocu, who you haven't mentioned in your apportioning of blame.

Certainly other players beside Bielik have had a decent season - Clarke, Byrne, Buchanan (if he's inconsistent then that's lack of experience), Shinnie, Colin, Joz (although he's young and still adapting to English football), Marshall (mostly). But not enough of the squad at the same time whether through injury or availability.

7 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

C'mon dude - Be fair

You can't expect to improve your keeper unless you have money to spend or there happens to be a keeper available on a free who wants to come to a team at the bottom end of the Championship

This season Marshall is the exact quality of keeper we were able to attract for a mid-table side who has historically been at the top end of the league - After this season we won't even have that level of draw any more - So is a keeper of Marshalls quality going to want to join us?

How did we get Marshall? Your comments make no sense. We can't get a Marshall even though we've had a Marshall - who was relegated to League 1. Or a Carson?

I think like many say about Carson, Marshall is at the end of his career.

Edited by RoyMac5

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How did we get Marshall? Your comments make no sense. We can't get a Marshall even though we've had a Marshall - who was relegated to League 1. Or a Carson?

I think like many say about Carson, Marshall is at the end of his career.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you mate ?

At the start of this campaign our 'draw' was as a team who had mostly been at the top end of the league - But had finished mid-table last season - That's a decent proposition to a player

Now - We're a team who has taken until the very final game of the season to settle their status in this league - Which is not a very attractive proposition to a player

So at the start of this season we got a Marshall - I don't believe we would be able to get a player even of his level this summer whatever league we're in

Is that clearer for you? ? 

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

So at the start of this season we got a Marshall - I don't believe we would be able to get a player even of his level this summer whatever league we're in

Is that clearer for you? ? 

I knew that was what you meant. I just don't think in the post-Covid (below Prem) football world it will matter as much. ?

Edited by RoyMac5

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, neither keeper seems reliable enough. You seem to be suggesting there will be no transfer budget? If there is none then spend by reallocating wages or sell. 

I disagree it has to be another Nigel type rebuild - there will be a squad budget, it will be down to the manager on how it is spent, unless the new owner buys the players. There will be loans available and lots of out of contract players.

If there is no new owner then maybe Mel will sack Rooney like he sacked Cocu, who you haven't mentioned in your apportioning of blame.

Certainly other players beside Bielik have had a decent season - Clarke, Byrne, Buchanan (if he's inconsistent then that's lack of experience), Shinnie, Colin, Joz (although he's young and still adapting to English football), Marshall (mostly). But not enough of the squad at the same time whether through injury or availability.

It's easy, this football game. Sign some good players and win games. If you sign players who don't win you are a failure who wasted your transfer budget.

Happy to add Cocu. And Lampard. And Rowett and Clement and a few more. 

I don't know why all the football managers don't sign good players, and then they would all be successes.

It's good that 8 of our players have had a good season, but I'd suggest our league position doesn't back that up.

Just now, GboroRam said:

It's good that 8 of our players have had a good season, but I'd suggest our league position doesn't back that up.

Not many teams get anywhere with only 8 good players! 

I think signing good players sounds a great idea. In our current situation we could at least sign/loan players with potential to increase their value. Rather than splashing out huge sums on players that just 'depreciate'.