Roos

IslandExile

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

And how much was he needed during those games? 

Untested Vs Millwall, Stoke, Swansea, Birmingham. 

Major error Vs Brentford where Mbuemo missed.

Mistake Vs Sheff Wednesday, you go on about Roos and crosses, wtf is Marshall doing for their goal?

In comes Roos, is a major reason we keep clean sheets Vs Bournemouth and QPR. 

Marshall's a leader, and he's captain when he play's. He organises the defence. There's miscommunication every time I see Roos play, that's every game not just one off mistakes. And it's been that way with multiple back fours over the seasons.

Ben Hamer was keeping Roos out the team and he was terrible. I'm not saying Marshall's been good but he's better overall than Roos. I keep going on about crosses because it's a big part of Championship football. I can't remember the last time Roos actually came out and caught one convincingly. I don't know how you can't see this.  

38 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If only it was that one mistake. His supporters go on and on about how the haterz won't forgive him Wembley. But I thought he was naff before then! He was nowt but a decent shot-stopper.

Thought he'd sorted himself out when he came in for Marshall, but unfortunately Swansea is another Wembley. If not the first goal he should certainly have stopped the second, not even a decent shot-stopper. Pressure gets to him I think.

So how did he keep Carson out of the team and offered a new contract? He was clearly good enough before Wembley and was good enough after.

1 "naff" game and all of a sudden he's gone terrible again? Too many of our fans are discrediting Swansea's second, it was a great goal. If Marshall was in goal for that, no eyelids would've been batted. 

9 hours ago, DCFClks said:

I don't know what I'm not seeing that everyone else seems to. To me he looks terrible almost every game.

Is this not the same keeper who was struggling out on loan at Plymouth and Port Vale not long ago?

Because you watch him every game he plays... he’s not a bad keeper compared to the rest of the league. He’s not a great keeper either but he would be a really good league one keeper. 

plymouth and port vale was 4 years ago, that’s a long time in football. 

4 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Marshall's a leader, and he's captain when he play's. He organises the defence. There's miscommunication every time I see Roos play, that's every game not just one off mistakes. And it's been that way with multiple back fours over the seasons.

Ben Hamer was keeping Roos out the team and he was terrible. I'm not saying Marshall's been good but he's better overall than Roos. I keep going on about crosses because it's a big part of Championship football. I can't remember the last time Roos actually came out and caught one convincingly. I don't know how you can't see this.  

Well done, you've managed to convince me you aren't watching games. 

Firstly, I barely hear Marshall at all. He doesn't even take the huddles before the game, CKR does. Hamer came in because our fans were abusing Roos everytime he did anything. Punch a hard cross? Boo. Catch the ball? Ironic cheers. 

Roos has improved on his crossing since he was dropped last season, he bulked up and doesn't get bullied in crosses anymore. Barnsley away he was superb. 

If you knew anything about goalkeeping, you would know the throw-ins for Birmingham were incredibly hard for keepers. They are in the perfect spot between defenders and keeper. If Roos/Marshall came out for the cross, they would likely not get it and be out of their goal. But they're slightly too high for the defenders to get.

5 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

So how did he keep Carson out of the team and offered a new contract? He was clearly good enough before Wembley and was good enough after.

1 "naff" game and all of a sudden he's gone terrible again? Too many of our fans are discrediting Swansea's second, it was a great goal. If Marshall was in goal for that, no eyelids would've been batted. 

He kept Carson out based on his ability to play out from the back.

Swansea's second was poor positioning. If Marshall had done the same I'd say the same.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

He kept Carson out based on his ability to play out from the back.

Swansea's second was poor positioning. If Marshall had done the same I'd say the same.

And because he was miles better than Carson that season. Carson was shocking under Lampard, both playing out and just general goalkeeping. He kept his place because he was good enough and helped us get to the play-offs.

First goal, look at Lawrence. He's directly in front of Roos and jumping. Roos see's the header late. 

image.png.d5fa40fbe8f4e3da112b460e6d94a3ba.png

2nd goal is a great finish, took it well on the volley running at pace. His positioning isn't "bad" but he could've got a stronger hand on it.

24 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

And because he was miles better than Carson that season. Carson was shocking under Lampard, both playing out and just general goalkeeping. He kept his place because he was good enough and helped us get to the play-offs.

First goal, look at Lawrence. He's directly in front of Roos and jumping. Roos see's the header late. 2nd goal is a great finish, took it well on the volley running at pace. His positioning isn't "bad" but he could've got a stronger hand on it.

Say what you like, but he isn't good under pressure and he gets goalkeeping basics wrong. The 2nd Swansea goal highlights this, but ther have been others.

38 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Well done, you've managed to convince me you aren't watching games. 

Firstly, I barely hear Marshall at all. He doesn't even take the huddles before the game, CKR does. Hamer came in because our fans were abusing Roos everytime he did anything. Punch a hard cross? Boo. Catch the ball? Ironic cheers. 

Roos has improved on his crossing since he was dropped last season, he bulked up and doesn't get bullied in crosses anymore. Barnsley away he was superb. 

If you knew anything about goalkeeping, you would know the throw-ins for Birmingham were incredibly hard for keepers. They are in the perfect spot between defenders and keeper. If Roos/Marshall came out for the cross, they would likely not get it and be out of their goal. But they're slightly too high for the defenders to get.

I don't know what else to say. I highly doubt a goalkeeper would get dropped purely because of the crowd. There was ironic cheers when he caught it because it rarely happened.

Not every Birmingham long throw was like that, There were second balls from the long throws he could have come out for. I think you're stretching a bit to make excuses for everything Roos does, but not Marshall for some reason.

I didn't like the jeers from crowd either, don't attack me like I was one of them doing it. ? 

4 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Great goal, you and Wazza may think so.  Player unmarked runs in not challenged and beats him at his near post.  Should not happen.

7 hours ago, Jubbs said:

And how much was he needed during those games? 

Untested Vs Millwall, Stoke, Swansea, Birmingham. 

Major error Vs Brentford where Mbuemo missed.

Mistake Vs Sheff Wednesday, you go on about Roos and crosses, wtf is Marshall doing for their goal?

In comes Roos, is a major reason we keep clean sheets Vs Bournemouth and QPR. 

And how much was he needed during those games?  ?

6 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Unfortunately it seems we have 2 very similar keepers both with quite fundamental goalkeeping faults which could present themselves at any time.

Yes indeed, but why would we need another keeper! ? If we want an ordinary keeper I'm sure that either of the U23s could fill the place of one or the other of our current keepers, save some money instead!

For what its worth im a fan of Roos , always thought people judged him unfairly for what was essentially a foul in the PO final ( listen to McGinns comments straight after the game even he thought he fouled the keeper...

BUT!

For this game i think i would play Marshall for his experiance. Honestly there isnt much in it.

14 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I really don’t see what posters are getting their knickers in a twist about. Both are ok but not outstanding. Both have had great games and both have made a number of howlers. Toss of a coin for me....

10 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Unfortunately it seems we have 2 very similar keepers both with quite fundamental goalkeeping faults which could present themselves at any time.

This just about sums it up. Either or for me, doesn't make a huge difference. Both can be great on their day, but can chuck the odd howler. I think we've more important things to be worried about.

19 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

If only it was that one mistake. His supporters go on and on about how the haterz won't forgive him Wembley. But I thought he was naff before then! He was nowt but a decent shot-stopper.

Thought he'd sorted himself out when he came in for Marshall, but unfortunately Swansea is another Wembley. If not the first goal he should certainly have stopped the second, not even a decent shot-stopper. Pressure gets to him I think.

Naive defending for the second didn't help certainly not the only player to be blamed but if you allow a forward to have a free shot at goal in that position........

Personally I like roo’s. Swapping and changing a back line  every game isn’t gonna help him either. He’s coming to prime goalkeeper age. Under lampard he was really good. But lampard pretty much kept same back line all season apart from the left back position.  Meanwhile under Rooney we’re swapping and changing every game. When we’ve played 3 at the back I think we have performed better.

Edited by TomSaint

On 05/05/2021 at 21:59, RoyMac5 said:

Say what you like, but he isn't good under pressure and he gets goalkeeping basics wrong. The 2nd Swansea goal highlights this, but ther have been others.

I’m not sure I’m convinced about the criticism for the second goal.

Some say his positioning was bad but, it’s not as if he had plenty of time to chose where to stand and, if he’d been further over to cover the near post it would have left a gaping hole for the rest of the goal.

Maybe he could have got a stronger hand to it and blocked the shot but, it came at him pretty quickly and I suspect many keepers would have conceded from that position.

On 05/05/2021 at 22:17, DCFClks said:

I don't know what else to say. I highly doubt a goalkeeper would get dropped purely because of the crowd. There was ironic cheers when he caught it because it rarely happened.

Not every Birmingham long throw was like that, There were second balls from the long throws he could have come out for. I think you're stretching a bit to make excuses for everything Roos does, but not Marshall for some reason.

I didn't like the jeers from crowd either, don't attack me like I was one of them doing it. ? 

Ironic cheers shouldn’t have happened. Just moronic. In the rain as well, obviously a keeper should be looking to punch in bad conditions. I think this is taught now anyway as a less risky option than catching.