Champions League Reforms and The Super League

Van der MoodHoover

3 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

How on earth can the Super Six immortals include Tottenham Hotspurs?

They haven't massively excelled in recent years....or is it a case of money shouting its ugly head off again?

Pretty much. You could say similar about Manchester City whose best ever go at the Champions League has been the semi-finals. I'd love to know how a club that have not gone as far in that competition as the likes of Malmo, Partizan and Panathinaikos have are now going to become one of the untouchable teams of European football.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, most fans would only be able to go to 5 away games as all the rest will be abroad and expensive? Still, they should then have the money to give large amounts to the tv companies. Another reason I’m glad at this end of my life not the other!

Same as the argument for not having promotion/relegation to the Prem, not having the ability to qualify for Europe just kills the game completely. I do agree a reform is needed, I find the champions league boring now, it would be much more exciting if they had it straight knockout like the olden days wouldn’t congest fixture lists as much too. Even having it alternate years you qualify for the super league one year champions “knockout” the next but it’s gotta be open to every club. 

well, this is a toxic combination of 

1 Henry and Glazer -  who in keeping with the American way think that the beautiful game, life in fact, is all about money

2 the owners of the big European clubs, who lose countless millions in pursuit of the most beautiful game and local pride. And who have been persuaded by Henry and Glazer that they deserve (deserve) at last to be rewarded.

If the money speaks, they will get their way. The TV revenues from the US and Asia will be massive. And those revenues will soon far overpower the damage caused by the initial protest from fans in the UK and Europe. As Goldman Sachs will no doubt have explained to Mr Glazer...  

So the question is whether the European regulators and politicians will step in and push back against market forces. (Forget the fans, we are straws in the wind).  I think they will push back. The footie regulators have a monumental vested interest in the status quo. And the politicians these days like nothing more than hitching a ride on a populist bandwagon. 

But this is early days and might be just the first throw of the dice by the Satanic owners 

Klopp and Milner have both spoken against this. I think the ire should be aimed at owners and chief execs, not players, managers and fans of 'big clubs'. 

I can't believe 10% of our fans think this should be allowed. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised with some of the cack you see on this forum.  

12 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Can't see how the joke 6 can remain in Premier League and also be in this "Super" League. Game like tonight is already meaningless. Reckon Super League will fall away as people behind it will become scared for their own safety.

They can because in effect they’re saying that the domestic leagues remain unaltered (though whether that is actually true is a whole different matter). What is being proposed is a midweek league that effectively replaces the European competitions in which the 12 and maybe 15 play every year and can never not be invited, and 5 other clubs get added. Thus weekend games in the EPL can continue.

All kinds of arguments why that just makes the greedy greedier and why it will have an effect on the premier league and other clubs but the challenge is initially more to UEFA's competitions than the domestic game. For the time being.

Florentino Perez, the Real Madrid chairman, is getting interviewed about this on Spanish TV right now. I don't speak a word of Spanish, so don't know what's being said, but he just very clearly forgot who Tottenham were. Judging from posts elsewhere he seems to be advocating this as something that will save football, as if it's some sort of noble act for the good of the game.

8 minutes ago, JfR said:

Florentino Perez, the Real Madrid chairman, is getting interviewed about this on Spanish TV right now. I don't speak a word of Spanish, so don't know what's being said, but he just very clearly forgot who Tottenham were. Judging from posts elsewhere he seems to be advocating this as something that will save football, as if it's some sort of noble act for the good of the game.

He's apparently just said that kids think 90 minutes is too long for a game, so they might have to do something about it.
Angry Simon Pegg GIF by Working Title

They're just going to follow the model of American sports aren't they. The way transfers work and quarters and everything 

That's how they get Arsenal to sign up. Arsenal might not be the whipping boys every season because they might trade or get Ronaldo as a wildcard or whatever it is. 

Bye MotM. Hello MVP. 

Few ads between each quarter. 

The whole thing is planned already. 

I actually want it to happen. I want them to be kicked out and it be as different as Rugby Union and League. I think everyone will be happy eventually and I'd like to see the 5 invited teams tell the Super League to feck off. 

One thing is that even with all the moaning... People will buy it. The masses aren't hardcore match goers and forum stalkers like the guys here. They're completely under the spell of needing to see The Big Game Live!! They are the prawn sandwich brigade. They are the business suite suits. They are the guys who completely miss that tribal bravado that the minority enjoy. They just don't get it. 

Some football is beyond simple common folk. It's become those horrible cliche adverts where two mates are sat on a sofa, one all in red and one all in blue, drinking red wine and rubbing Nivea on each other. 

The Super League will succeed. 

That's great news for them and it could be good news for people who want those raw emotions back. The tribal bravado and silliness that we regrettably call "banter". 

We could end up with a football Union of less ********. Hopefully. 

Just need the PL to follow through with threats and UEFA to explain how their plan was any different! Don't count on it

I don't really mean to insult the middle class btw. 

It's more about how the way football is observed and supported has changed. 

I think these changes reflect that. You can't throw the "we pay your wages" and "the club is nothing without the fans" at clubs now. 

The guy who follows his club around the country isn't where the money is. It's streaming prime time in China. It's accepting groundbreaking TV deals and advertising. 

"Armchair fans" and "plastics"... their money is as good as the "home and away" follower. And there's more of them. 

So let's imagine that the FA etc give in and the ESL gets the go ahead, league games will be played on a Saturday and ESL midweek. At least fans would know that their team's games against those clubs will be at 3pm on a Saturday as they can't be moved. Plus if a game is postponed for any reason at least the smaller will pick up the 3 points as the "big" club will not be able to fit in a midweek game.

It wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing collapses, given the outrage it has caused, but even if it doesn't, I can't see how the remaining 14 clubs in the Premier League can allow the 'Big Six' to do this with impunity. The enormous wealth this would generate wouldn't be ringfenced; it would be earned in the ESL but spent in the Premier League; the remaining 14 wouldn't hope to be compete financially anymore. It's not just about competing in the ESL; it's about using the wealth generated to completely dominate domestic football too. 

19 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing collapses, given the outrage it has caused, but even if it doesn't, I can't see how the remaining 14 clubs in the Premier League can allow the 'Big Six' to do this with impunity. The enormous wealth this would generate wouldn't be ringfenced; it would be earned in the ESL but spent in the Premier League; the remaining 14 wouldn't hope to be compete financially anymore. It's not just about competing in the ESL; it's about using the wealth generated to completely dominate domestic football too. 

This is the key part where the authorities need to keep their nerve - if the ESL happens, the teams need to be clear that they can no longer play in domestic leagues or cups. The current proposals give them the best of both worlds while turning the domestic EPL into a meaningless competition to see who finishes seventh..... 

39 minutes ago, richinspain said:

So let's imagine that the FA etc give in and the ESL gets the go ahead, league games will be played on a Saturday and ESL midweek. At least fans would know that their team's games against those clubs will be at 3pm on a Saturday as they can't be moved. Plus if a game is postponed for any reason at least the smaller will pick up the 3 points as the "big" club will not be able to fit in a midweek game.

Unfortunately, they’ll have enough cash to stockpile a squad for Europe and a squad for home.  It’s inevitable, otherwise there’ll be calling for a 12 team top tier to prevent burnout for the stars that just have to play too many games.

From my point of view, I think it could be good in the long term, but not in the way it would be expected.  Effectively, those clubs who leave (kicked out) will leave a power vacuum in the league and the money will not be there in the future to generate the gulf in class as there is today.

This will let the football tourists watch the Harlem Globetrotter super league, whilst the football purists get to return to the excitement of a league where anyone could win it.  
A new big four, five or six will develop over time, however that could be Everton , Leeds, Aston Villa and the likes, but it would be guaranteed that Barnsley (or us) could get promoted and finish above all them at any time and the big teams will flirt with relegation, if not go down.

Or maybe, I just have a dream!

Archived