Van der MoodHoover

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Isn’t this the same thing really?

32 minutes ago, Alpha said:

How the hell do they have the nerve to object the Super League

They just upset the money bypasses their fat greedy pockets.

4 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Wild theory:

Did they just re-boot the ESL idea to get the UCL reforms (which as above obviously further improve the lots of the "elite" clubs) through and people would accept them as being better than the alternative?

Can't believe I've wasted at least 2 hours reading, watching and thinking about this load of balls today.

I think the proposed Champions League reforms were/are a cowardly attempt to placate the big boys, who have been threatening a breakaway for a while.

I hope UEFA and other footballing authorities now wake the duck up and actively punish the Super League teams in any way they can, because this Super League proposal simply cannot be used as a bargaining chip to give them more power. Teach them a lesson.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

Just kick the big 6 out of the premier league, ban them from everything, promote 6 teams from the championship. They'll soon poo themselves when they realise they've got no fixtures to play, no competitive games and most importantly, no supporters. Good riddance.

Yeah, but only promote the 6 Championship clubs with the highest revenue... it's the fair thing to do ?

Something I think I would be interested in, (but probably haven’t taken into account a lot of factors), would be something like a tier above the premier league. A European super league that all the nations feed into from their domestic leagues. So there’s relegation and promotion. That the elite teams play in instead of the domestic league. That means the domestic league is open to a few different teams to win, and those teams can be promoted to the super league, constantly changing the status who in the domestic league, without having to without having to wait fkr a once in a generation Leicester moment. 

there may be all sorts of issues with that, but an open European league system, as an actual season long league, not a knock out competition like the champions league, seems like an interesting idea.

In this plan though, these 12 clubs are the ‘founding members’. Does that mean that one day they might invite other members. Like we were a founding member of the EFL, which grew from 12 to 92 clubs. If they piss off, it makes the likes of Leicester the new big dog. If they constantly wipe the floor with the rest of the premier league, would they be invited to join the super league at some point? If Arsenal were consistently crap, would they be invited to leave (like Notts county), and does that apply to the Elite clubs in the new champions league, or are they now protected for the rest of history, either way. 

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Something I think I would be interested in, (but probably haven’t taken into account a lot of factors), would be something like a tier above the premier league. A European super league that all the nations feed into from their domestic leagues. So there’s relegation and promotion. That the elite teams play in instead of the domestic league. That means the domestic league is open to a few different teams to win, and those teams can be promoted to the super league, constantly changing the status who in the domestic league, without having to without having to wait fkr a once in a generation Leicester moment. 

there may be all sorts of issues with that, but an open European league system, as an actual season long league, not a knock out competition like the champions league, seems like an interesting idea.

In this plan though, these 12 clubs are the ‘founding members’. Does that mean that one day they might invite other members. Like we were a founding member of the EFL, which grew from 12 to 92 clubs. If they piss off, it makes the likes of Leicester the new big dog. If they constantly wipe the floor with the rest of the premier league, would they be invited to join the super league at some point? If Arsenal were consistently crap, would they be invited to leave (like Notts county), and does that apply to the Elite clubs in the new champions league, or are they now protected for the rest of history, either way. 

According to the Arsenal press release, they plan on having 15 'founding members' in a 20 team competition. The 5 other teams would need to 'qualify'.

Complete remodeling of the European leagues

6 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

A complete remodeling of the European leagues in one league pyramid structure I would think would be far better for football, div 1 and div 2 Europe wide, next two levels regional - GB, Iberia and SW France, northern France and Germany, Balkans, central Europe etc then entirely domestic below that with promotion and relegation each season.

Won't happen because actually what the ESL owners want is an NFL model closed shop.

10 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Absolutely horrible.

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

According to the Arsenal press release, they plan on having 15 'founding members' in a 20 team competition. The 5 other teams would need to 'qualify'.

I saw someone's breakdown of this - those teams lucky enough to qualify will get nowhere near as much money as the 'founding members' even if they win the league - that shows how the qualification idea is simply there to placate people and make it seem like less of a closed shop....

FWIW I think that they have misjudged how much income this new league will generate - especially as the fans are already against the idea.

Man Utd vs Real Madrid is a big game at the moment as it only happens every now and again.  If they start playing each other every season (especially when both are mid-table with nothing to play for) the appeal will wear off. 

Away fans that work for a living (ie nearly everyone!) might take a day or two off for a one off game every season or so but will they when they are every week?  Away crowds (and therefore atmosphere) will imo dwindle over time.

Furthermore, tv audience will surely fall over time as well?  The bigger European teams will surely pull away from the smaller ones - just as Man City have done compared to Arsenal etc.  Eventually Inter vs Spurs for example will generate no more interest that Burnley vs Brighton for example.

15 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

What's this "big 6"?

I keep seeing the big five, plus spurs. 

I know that was tongue in cheek , but it's the 6 clubs with the highest revenue. Spurs were ahead of Chelsea and Arsenal the last time I checked. Arsenal's revenue is double that of next best, West Ham. [Excluding Covid impact]

Financial big 6 = Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal.
All time average position = Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Man Utd, Villa, Man City
All time top division table = Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Man City, Villa, Man City
PL era average position = Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Villa
PL only table = Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Man City

Kick them out of the FA. 

Kick all six teams out of the the Prem with immediate effect. Recalculate the table from existing remaining results and games to be played.

Kick them out of the FA Cup.

None of their players eligible for international duty. (England would probably do better with players from scrapper type clubs than the show-boat charlies.)

Would be hilarious.

23 minutes ago, maxjam said:

FWIW I think that they have misjudged how much income this new league will generate - especially as the fans are already against the idea.

Man Utd vs Real Madrid is a big game at the moment as it only happens every now and again.  If they start playing each other every season (especially when both are mid-table with nothing to play for) the appeal will wear off. 

Away fans that work for a living (ie nearly everyone!) might take a day or two off for a one off game every season or so but will they when they are every week?  Away crowds (and therefore atmosphere) will imo dwindle over time.

Furthermore, tv audience will surely fall over time as well?  The bigger European teams will surely pull away from the smaller ones - just as Man City have done compared to Arsenal etc.  Eventually Inter vs Spurs for example will generate no more interest that Burnley vs Brighton for example.

You're still viewing this through the lens of any of these teams giving a flying duck about their "legacy" fans. What do Indian, Chinese, Malay, Saudi fans think about this Super League? Ultimately these clubs will be looking to shift games to more profitable venues and markets if they do break away.

I wouldn't put it past them to institute some kind of draft once they have their closed shop to allow all teams to remain competitive.

15 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Kick them out of the FA. 

Kick all six teams out of the the Prem with immediate effect. Recalculate the table from existing remaining results and games to be played.

Kick them out of the FA Cup.

None of their players eligible for international duty. (England would probably do better with players from scrapper type clubs than the show-boat charlies.)

Would be hilarious.

England could still put out a decent team in the summer, especially bearing in mind other countries would be ducked as well.

7 minutes ago, Duracell said:

There's rumours that Bayern and Dortmund have passed this up and instead Schalke have been invited in - bottom of the Bundesliga with -57 goal difference. 

Apparently that rumour came from a German comedy site. I don't know whether to believe that, because the idea that a German comedy site exists seems even more outlandish than Schalke getting into the ESL.

8 minutes ago, Duracell said:

There's rumours that Bayern and Dortmund have passed this up and instead Schalke have been invited in - bottom of the Bundesliga with -57 goal difference. 

Apparently FC Porto also turned it down

I've got to say, as someone who already has no interest in the Champion's League and little interest in what the 'big' clubs in the Premier League get up to, I haven't been this entertained by the likes of Man Utd for years. Turns out that football finally eating itself is in itself a spectator sport. 

tenor-10.gif

I say, duck the 6 out of English football now; shake up the leagues. Get the old firm market in the new PL, make it 24 teams & spread the rest of the SPL about the football league.

If they were to go to the ESL, all 6 clubs would effectively cease to exist from the perspective of English football - so may as well get ahead of it and kill them now. I personally couldn't give a duck.

I could really do with a football implosion right about now; it all becomes so boring to me when Derby are poo.

Archived