Champions League Reforms and The Super League

Van der MoodHoover

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

If these ‘nominated clubs’ are not able to sign players from other leagues because they won’t be recognised that would cut the supply rather quickly and the selling of the product becomes very stale.

anyway the fans can stop this happening simply do not buy season tickets, internet platforms, merchandise etc and buy tickets for other clubs not involved - yes I know they would still sell to audiences overseas and they will probably play games overseas anyway in fact why not move Manchester and Liverpool to Los Angeles and Hong Kong it could and might happen. Kick them all out immediately I say.

ironically they say all the extra money would destabilise and affect the premiership if the clubs received super league money guarantees 

take a look at parachute payments from the premiership to the championship!

I bet UK fans are the most easily parted with their money to watch Super Sunday Live!!

Remember when we played Norwich few years ago and we had many fans that were like "I've had to pay £45 per ticket!! What a rip off! Its not fair". You didn't have to pay it. You could have not gone. 

We've encouraged this poo and we can take it back. But weirdly too many people justify it. They are almost afraid of life without football. But football exists on a park on Sunday mornings too. And it's more honest, more real and more heartfelt than Super Sunday Live!!!

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say let the so called big 6 go, dont even try and negotiate to keep them. Once the ESL goes to the wall like the CSL and Russian League did with all their mega money they will soon come crawling back and they can start at the bottom of the football pyramid

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Remember when we played Norwich few years ago and we had many fans that were like "I've had to pay £45 per ticket!! What a rip off! Its not fair". You didn't have to pay it. You could have not gone. 

Because people are loyal to their club. Not to the owners, or even the players, but the intangible element of their football club.

The fans have got to vote with their money and feet - don't attend games (any games, not just the new Super League ones), don't renew season tickets, don't pay stupid PPV prices.  Hard I know if you're a real supporter but they need to reap what they sow. 

I wonder too about the players.  If all governing bodies are against this and anyone who plays in this so-called Super League  (which incidentally just makes me think of Rugby League with Eddie and Steve-o) are banned from all competitions including the Euros and World Cup, how many would really want to play?  I assume there'd be the draw of Chinese League type salaries, but it'd certain tell who plays for money, or the love of the game.  No fans, no players, no Super League

1 minute ago, BucksRam said:

The fans have got to vote with their money and feet - don't attend games (any games, not just the new Super League ones), don't renew season tickets, don't pay stupid PPV prices.  Hard I know if you're a real supporter but they need to reap what they sow. 

I wonder too about the players.  If all governing bodies are against this and anyone who plays in this so-called Super League  (which incidentally just makes me think of Rugby League with Eddie and Steve-o) are banned from all competitions including the Euros and World Cup, how many would really want to play?  I assume there'd be the draw of Chinese League type salaries, but it'd certain tell who plays for money, or the love of the game.  No fans, no players, no Super League

I think the real power will be with the players.

The fans can choose to boycott, but there will be enough interest from all around the world to give the Super League a chance of success. But if the players take a stand against it, bang goes the interest.

23 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We wouldn’t - those that go down go down otherwise it detracts from the competition no doubt 

You couldn't for this one immediate year in the hypothetical. If you did, 9 teams will be entering the Championship from League 1. 

Absolutely must accept the breakaway without delay, question or negotiation, and throw them out of all national FA and UEFA competition immediately, and cut offer absolutely no route back for any player, coach or manager getting involved. Could be the best thing that ever happened to football. Let them get on with it. 

Now that they have issued this letter of intent (to in effect break their contractual obligations with the Premier League) I would remove them from all competitions with immediate effect and adjust the balance of the leagues for the start of next season.

I like Neville as a football pundit and the passion showed in his 10 minute rant on Sky last night was absolutely spot on.

These custodians couldn't care less about the fans, the traditions, the history, any other clubs in the pyramid. They just want money, they can never have enough money. To set up a closed shop no competition entity suits their purpose. Let's be honest most of these people know nothing about the game anyway.

But the elite end of the sport has failed the lower levels since the Premier League and Champions League started so this new level of greed is hardly surprising. Maybe this is the rebirth of football as it should be? OK a bit naive but who knows.

These clubs seem interested only in maximizing their profits.  But even if they succeed in forming this horrendous league, won't they just end up with the same problem they have now regarding controlling expenses? They all currently compete with one another and spend nearly their entire incomes paying hugely inflated wages to the top players.  If they generate more income from the league, won't the top players and the Mina Raiolas of this world simply demand even more astronomical wages, by signing up for the highest bidder?  And then these breakaway clubs will be back where they started.

A much better way for clubs to safeguard their profits would be to implement a wage cap.  The problem is, it would probably have to be global cap rather than just European, or else the Qatari or Saudi League would suddenly become the top leagues as players followed the wages.

You can see it now - lawyers on both sides rubbing their hands in anticipation of the massive fees coming their way.

If the Rams were one of the big six, what would you do in response? I would never set foot in PP again and even if in a few years time, realising the folly of their actions, they returned to their roots, I would be finished with them.

It'll be interesting, given the initial hostilee reactions of many Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea etc fans, whether they will continue to go and watch their favourites or not. It would be hilarious if these ESL matches were played to half-empty stadiums.

Another big question if these clubs leave the Premier League (which I still think is unlikely to happen, despite all the sabre rattling) is what happens with the current league structure. Is there still a point to the Premier League? The next biggest clubs left in the Prem would be the likes of Everton, Villa, Newcastle, Leeds, Wolves and West Ham, but apart from Everton all those clubs have recent experience of playing in the EFL. Leeds have spent most of the last 20 years out of the top flight; Villa were almost bankrupt two years ago. They aren't untouchable giants of the game. And you could have the likes of ourselves, Forest, Wednesday and Sunderland in the Championship. Would there still be a massive difference in history, support, stadia, commercial appeal etc. between the two leagues?

In short, this could feasibly bring about either a re-combining of the Prem and EFL, or the long discussed establishment of a Premier League 2. Now the so-called 'Big 6' have shaken things up anything's possible.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

It'll be interesting, given the initial hostile reactions of many Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea etc fans, whether they will continue to go and watch their favourites or not. It would be hilarious if these ESL matches were played to half-empty stadiums.

Doesn't matter to them - they'll do as they're doing now, add crowd noise. They'll probably CSI crowds in too. They've said the only thing that matters is the money, they're not interested in the 'football family'. 

They will be selling to the 'new TV football fan' - if that's what the clubs involved want to do, how will their 'old-style' fans deal with it? It's really crap for everyone bar the money men. Will we hear anything from the Players union?

19 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Somebody like Harry Kane - he has one more world cup in him. Once he's done with that, he can sign on to be a squad player with one of the franchises. It'll be like the IPL. One last hurrah for some great players but once they are gone, there will be fewer recognisable names from the world stage.

5 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Absolutely must accept the breakaway without delay, question or negotiation, and throw them out of all national FA and UEFA competition immediately, and cut offer absolutely no route back for any player, coach or manager getting involved. Could be the best thing that ever happened to football. Let them get on with it. 

I think you've got to have a bit of flexibility with the players as they're under contract and can't simply walk away. Probably best to just state that while they are contracted to any team in the ESL they won't be considered for International teams - and they won't be allowed to go on loan to other clubs. That would prevent the bigger clubs hoovering up all of the young talent....

It's going to be incredibly hard for some of them - imagine young Mason, Chelsea fan who's establishing himself in the England team and may now have to choose between the two.....the greedy owners behind this scheme have a lot to answer for.

44 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Because people are loyal to their club. Not to the owners, or even the players, but the intangible element of their football club.

Ok, but accept that that loyalty is part of the reason we're at this point with obscene wages and ticket prices that have far outstripped inflation. Football clubs are companies and they only care about their bottom line. Any guff they spout about reciprocating the fans undying loyalty is just that, complete guff. The only way they will ever change is if people stop paying the crazy sums they demand to watch some blokes kick a bit of leather around.

52 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

And this is the reason they'll be parted with their money and have to fly to Spain every other week. 

This is why £45 today become £60 tomorrow and eventually you can't afford to be loyal. 

11 minutes ago, Anon said:

Ok, but accept that that loyalty is part of the reason we're at this point with obscene wages and ticket prices that have far outstripped inflation. Football clubs are companies and they only care about their bottom line. Any guff they spout about reciprocating the fans undying loyalty is just that, complete guff. The only way they will ever change is if people stop paying the crazy sums they demand to watch some blokes kick a bit of leather around.

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

And this is the reason they'll be parted with their money and have to fly to Spain every other week. 

This is why £45 today become £60 tomorrow and eventually you can't afford to be loyal. 

Which is why there needs to be intervention from the top. 

Archived