Champions League Reforms and The Super League

Van der MoodHoover

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Olton Ram said:

I read this earlier on The Guardian. What is most offensive is their whining about the economic impact of Covid, whilst not giving a solitary toss about the same impact on their existing fellow league members or the even worse impact on lower league clubs. Covid won't put any of these clubs out of business, but it's absolutely catastrophic for smaller clubs. But what do they matter? Mega profits are more important than the actual survival of other clubs.

Even if you buy their fundamental argument, the solution to a massively over inflated market isn't to shrug and go "guess we'd better ruin the whole thing to keep up the inflation" it's normally to spend less because you can afford less and the market corrects itself.

It's hard to weep for the shareholders of the twelve.

46 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Surely from an environmental point having teams flying backwards and forwards every week must leave a big carbon footprint. Get the Thunberg to stick her oar in.

This is my main concern. Not to mention we are in the middle of a pandemic!

Hard to say congratulations to Leeds, but they’ve been great tonight - they put T-shirts in the Liverpool dressing room with “Champions League EARN IT” on the front and “FOOTBALL IS FOR THE FANS” on the back. Liverpool and Klipperty annoyed and Leeds players all running out wearing the shirts.....?

1 minute ago, Gaspode said:

Hard to say congratulations to Leeds, but they’ve been great tonight - they put T-shirts in the Liverpool dressing room with “Champions League EARN IT” on the front and “FOOTBALL IS FOR THE FANS” on the back. Liverpool and Klipperty annoyed and Leeds players all running out wearing the shirts.....?

Whilst we all hate Leeds, they are probably the best team to be playing tonight vs Lpool. Nasty, spiteful, self-righteous. Perfect combo, for today only.

12 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

By pure coincidence the anouncement was made the day before UEFA announce the format of the CL from 2022-2023. 

Football is nothing without fans Football will survive without those fiends

This is the thing .. I can’t help feeling that all they want to do is “sell” it as a franchise to the 75% of the world that isn’t European and doesn’t go to matches. So lots of Indonesian Spurs fans and Chinese Gunners watching a closed shop NFL thingummy on TV with all the betting that goes with it. Well good for them. I sincerely hope Eufa, The PL and the other governing bodies eviscerate them for the good of sport. Loathsome, cynical. I thought initially that it would fail because there will be a poo storm of social media - something Kerry Packer didn’t have to face - but it might work considering the global audiences .. it will be a pie without meat salt pepper or pastry .. ersatz sport, passionless, sterile, artificial, manufactured. Do you want farmhouse Stilton  or Kraft cheese slices. Garbage. I am horrified that Man U who I hold with a youthful fondness  are in this, but not surprised when a trailer park owning leveraged buyout philistine is at the helm. A plague on all their houses. 

Ban and disqualify the lot of of them, make them nonentities. Welcome back, starting in league 2 or the conference. 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

This is the thing .. I can’t help feeling that all they want to do is “sell” it as a franchise to the 75% of the world that isn’t European and doesn’t go to matches. So lots of Indonesian Spurs fans and Chinese Gunners watching a closed shop NFL thingummy on TV with all the betting that goes with it. Well good for them. I sincerely hope Eufa, The PL and the other governing bodies eviscerate them for the good of sport. Loathsome, cynical. I thought initially that it would fail because there will be a poo storm of social media - something Kerry Packer didn’t have to face - but it might work considering the global audiences .. it will be a pie without meat salt pepper or pastry .. ersatz sport, passionless, sterile, artificial, manufactured. Do you want farmhouse Stilton  or Kraft cheese slices. Garbage. I am horrified that Man U who I hold with a youthful fondness  are in this, but not surprised when a trailer park owning leveraged buyout philistine is at the helm. A plague on all their houses. 

Ban and disqualify the lot of of them, make them nonentities. Welcome back, starting in league 2 or the conference. 

Neville had just made a good point about the motivation behind this - if Man Utd have 150m fans around the world that are willing to pay even as little as £1 each per game to watch them (which is feasible if they’re no longer tied into the EPL and UEFA deals), that’s potential income of £150m PER WEEK!

Doesn't seem to be a great way out of this. 

But the worst outcome I think would be the pl and uefa caving, so that the current rules are changed to give an even larger proportion of the wealth to the so-called "big 6".

My Chelsea supporting mate is so horrified he's changing his allegiance to Eastleigh fc. 

30 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Neville had just made a good point about the motivation behind this - if Man Utd have 150m fans around the world that are willing to pay even as little as £1 each per game to watch them (which is feasible if they’re no longer tied into the EPL and UEFA deals), that’s potential income of £150m PER WEEK!

At which Harry Kanes agent wants 500k a week for him to play for Man Utd.  It will all disappear regardless.

2 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

There's the TV companies of course.  They're hard bitten business negotiators as we know.  Why would they pay the same for what they might think is going to be a lesser product - less watched, less advertising revenue, less Carra v Gary? No more MNF or Super Sunday.

And then there's the patsies in the deal - because every rip off has to have a patsy - us.  We don't go, we don't buy season tickets or merchandise.  Empty stadiums?  No bother - we've just had a season of that.  Went OK.  They'll come back eventually and if not then there's China, or Indonesia or Vietnam and South Korea. All those hotbeds of Tosketh and Trafford and the Kings Road.

We've been here before when Kerry Packer did his thing and shook up a whole sport.  He actually made it work for a few years.  Who's to say this won't be the same?  They've judged that the authorities and clubs won't have any bottle when push comes to shove and that the TV companies have shareholders to please and the players (led by Gordon Taylor and their agents - ye Gods) will do as they're told and the fans long since lost their financial clout.  They might just be right.

Great post. Am I the only one who read that as the pasties in the deal? I was curious as to whether ginsters had got involved with stadium catering. A nice cheese and onion one for me I thought. Fans will do anything and watch anything if a free pasty is involved. I might suggest it to try and sway the tide of public opinion.

The pasty thing is quite clearly the only thing going for this greed laden deal put together by bankers.

1 hour ago, jono said:

You are too kind - 8th tier of the pyramid, Let them work and wait to get back if they were ever allowed back in. 

If there is still to be an ESL as well as a CL  competition, are their supporters prepared to pay to watch the reserves on Saturdays whilst their first team have commitments in the ESL?

Let them all go, but it must be a clean break with the PL and no easy return of it goes sour on them.

And Franchise Manure - who would have thought that!

Archived