Champions League Reforms and The Super League

Van der MoodHoover

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Something I think I would be interested in, (but probably haven’t taken into account a lot of factors), would be something like a tier above the premier league. A European super league that all the nations feed into from their domestic leagues. So there’s relegation and promotion. That the elite teams play in instead of the domestic league. That means the domestic league is open to a few different teams to win, and those teams can be promoted to the super league, constantly changing the status who in the domestic league, without having to without having to wait fkr a once in a generation Leicester moment. 

there may be all sorts of issues with that, but an open European league system, as an actual season long league, not a knock out competition like the champions league, seems like an interesting idea.

In this plan though, these 12 clubs are the ‘founding members’. Does that mean that one day they might invite other members. Like we were a founding member of the EFL, which grew from 12 to 92 clubs. If they piss off, it makes the likes of Leicester the new big dog. If they constantly wipe the floor with the rest of the premier league, would they be invited to join the super league at some point? If Arsenal were consistently crap, would they be invited to leave (like Notts county), and does that apply to the Elite clubs in the new champions league, or are they now protected for the rest of history, either way. 

The major downside of this is that the 12 clubs are looking for a league in which there is no promotion and relegation - to take away any risk for their businesses.  There is also the added complication that it would be horrendously complicated to organise across all (or even a few) of the leagues.  Say two Italian clubs are relegated one year.  Do you 'promote' 2 more Italian clubs to maintain the balance or take the next two clubs from the leagues and (potentially) end up with most of the league being from one country?

The 12 clubs aren't interested in a sporting spectacle and challenge.  They're solely interested in removing any possibility of losing income through relegation, of creating a sport for TV that billions will watch across Asia and maximising their opportunity for profit and growth at the expense of everyone else.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid question that I can't get the right wording on, possibly because I'm an idiot with no understanding of such things and talking absolute poo, but....

Couldn't FIFA as the governing body just refuse to sanction / acknowledge any proposed new league as actually being 'football', ban & make illegal the use of anything resembling the current laws of the game (as set by the International Football Association Board) for unsanctioned competitions and effectively force them to create an entirely new sport, with completely different rules of play?

Someone is in control of what can officially count as football and how closely another sport is allowed to resemble it yeah? No?

I quite like the idea of banning these bar stewards from any current competitions, disqualifying their owners and associates from owning and operating football clubs, letting them set up their shitty league and then suing them to high heaven forcing it into oblivion leaving those who decided to duck off in limbo without a league to play in - they'd soon come grovelling back.

1 minute ago, Coconut said:

Stupid question that I can't get the right wording on....

Couldn't FIFA as the governing body just refuse to sanction / acknowledge any proposed new league as actually being 'football', ban & make illegal the use of anything resembling the current laws of the game (as set by the International Football Association Board) for unsanctioned competitions and effectively force them to create an entirely new sport, with completely different rules of play?

I quite like the idea of banning these bar stewards from any current competitions, disqualifying their owners and associates from owning and operating football clubs, letting them set up their shitty league and then suing them to high heaven forcing it into oblivion leaving those who decided to duck off in limbo without a league to play in.

They could have their own rules. eg quarters instead of halves, helmets and shoulder pads for players, who will be able to use their hands etc.

4 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Stupid question that I can't get the right wording on....

I quite like the idea of banning these bar stewards from any current competitions, disqualifying their owners and associates from owning and operating football clubs, letting them set up their shitty league and then suing them to high heaven forcing it into oblivion leaving those who decided to duck off in limbo without a league to play in.

They (and UEFA) can refuse to sanction the new league, which leads to the teams not participating in league competitions, European competitions and the players not playing for the national team.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

They (and UEFA) can refuse to sanction the new league, which leads to the teams not participating in league competitions, European competitions and the players not playing for the national team.

or appearing in FIFA video games ?

4 hours ago, Duracell said:

I'm struggling to be angry about this and instead find it very amusing. It's the final McKinsey-ation of 'elite' football. The rich billionaires have taken the game so far away from us, that they're simply sodding off. If they do go, what are we missing exactly? 

The reason I find it so funny is just how much they have missed the point. These superstar fans are fickle. These GDP-supported super clubs will eat themselves trying to out spend each other, and only one team can finish first. How long will Qatar, for example, continue pumping billions into PSG if they finish bottom of their group every year? 

NFL/NBA owners don't give a rat's arse about finishing last cus they make billions a year from merch & TV rights.  Sporting success will be way down their list of priorities...

I'm not a fan of comrade Corbyn, but as an Arsenal fan he was asked about the proposals - he's not keen to say the least. As he pointed out, with the lack of real competition in the new league who will want to watch what is effectively a set of glorified exhibition matches?....

12 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I'm not a fan of comrade Corbyn, but as an Arsenal fan he was asked about the proposals - he's not keen to say the least. As he pointed out, with the lack of real competition in the new league who will want to watch what is effectively a set of glorified exhibition matches?....

I’m not Corbyn’s biggest fan either, but he was calling for a restructure long before today:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thelondoneconomic.com/sport/reminder-that-a-jeremy-corbyn-government-would-have-put-fans-before-the-financiers-265406/%3famp

23 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

NFL/NBA owners don't give a rat's arse about finishing last cus they make billions a year from merch & TV rights.  Sporting success will be way down their list of priorities...

Good point, but my example with PSG - and City fall into the same category here - is that they are sportswashing, PR enterprises. There's not a lot of PR in finishing last, though. I'm such Arsenal would be happy to finish last and make millions though.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Yeah, but only promote the 6 Championship clubs with the highest revenue... it's the fair thing to do ?

Brilliant this absolutely brilliant 

by the way does anyone see the humour that both Derby and the red dogs not being in the top six when it actually might matter ?

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Brilliant this absolutely brilliant 

by the way does anyone see the humour that both Derby and the red dogs not being in the top six when it actually might matter ?

At least if 6 teams disappeared out of the PL; teams would just move up across all the tiers. So we'd be safe from relegation.

If these ‘nominated clubs’ are not able to sign players from other leagues because they won’t be recognised that would cut the supply rather quickly and the selling of the product becomes very stale.

anyway the fans can stop this happening simply do not buy season tickets, internet platforms, merchandise etc and buy tickets for other clubs not involved - yes I know they would still sell to audiences overseas and they will probably play games overseas anyway in fact why not move Manchester and Liverpool to Los Angeles and Hong Kong it could and might happen. Kick them all out immediately I say.

ironically they say all the extra money would destabilise and affect the premiership if the clubs received super league money guarantees 

take a look at parachute payments from the premiership to the championship!

8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

At least if 6 teams disappeared out of the PL; teams would just move up across all the tiers. So we'd be safe from relegation.

We wouldn’t - those that go down go down otherwise it detracts from the competition no doubt 

9 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I must say this is all fabulously entertaining. Much more so than any actual football featuring the, er, 'big 6'.

Yes! 

But when Man United v AC Milan is for a place in 14th position in the Super League then that might be even more entertaining. 

I just hope I get to pay £100p/m to watch it. 

Archived