New Vote: Is Rooney the man to take us forward? 29/12/20

Day

New Vote: Is Rooney the man to take us forward?  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Not at all, I would like to see a sense of balance and consistency in all things just like my original comment about 8 games being good enough to judge one person but 50 odd games or whatever isn't enough to judge another. 

Guess I ask too much as this is a football forum after all not the Oxford Union.

We’re looking at 8 games and saying yes, he should get the job that’s all and on balance you would have to say he deserves it. 

Once appointed, if he is, that will be reset and given time (by some) before judging him on the job he’s done. 

Not entirely sure what response you would get in the Oxford Union, I’m too thick to get in there, probably why I’m also struggling to see why you are trying to find balance by comparing 2 entirely different situations.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RamNut said:

You might like him if he played for us.

I agree he is a prat of the highest order but he is also hugely talented. In football the two things often seem to go together. Charlie george was once considered to be major plonker but what a player! 
I’m reading Alan Hudson’s biography at the moment and that’s a real eye opener. He falls into the same category. 

I probably would, In fact I know I would. There’s that thing in football where a player can be a C word, and if that C word of a player is your player then it’s great. 

We all do it though, judge others, create this image without even knowing the person. Will happen with members. 

It’s wrong, but we all do it.

You can't argue with 1 loss in 8 and 5 clean sheets in 6 games, especially with the dire position we found ourselves in at the time. I don't think anyone could have done better so far.

That being said, Steve would need to stay (this is Rooney's team and he deserves full credit, but the Mac influence is obvious and vital whilst Rooney gains experience).

...colin also needs to stay. The guy might be 34 but it's been a while since we had a player who was both a cult hero and had such a big presence. Imagine he is fantastic to have around the training ground.

I'm still not convinced that the revival is down to Rooney, players becoming available or our luck has changed. Regardless things are going average now. It just seems they are going well because our start was so atrocious. 

His points haul is far from spectacular but its better than at was and seems to be going in the right direction.

He's probably doing enough to be offered it.

19 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

I'm still not convinced that the revival is down to Rooney, players becoming available or our luck has changed. Regardless things are going average now. It just seems they are going well because our start was so atrocious. 

His points haul is far from spectacular but its better than at was and seems to be going in the right direction.

He's probably doing enough to be offered it.

But what about the style of play - that has changed and is nothing to do with luck. Rooney always seems to be able to give explanation for his team selections and clearly knows what he is doing. His team selection yesterday was spot on, even if affected by injuries.

I've always been very anti-Rooney.

He shouldn't be anywhere near the job - he has no experience or qualifications, or even allegiance to the club. A side in relegation trouble - which for a club with Derby County's cost base could also threaten the very existence of the club, should be looking to an experienced manager to ensure safety and a solid rebuild. Even if Rooney does well, he'll be off as soon as Everton or Man U come calling. Appointing Rooney should be a non-starter of a decision.

The problem is that I have a certain style of football which I enjoy and believe is the most likely to get us promoted (not this season obvs). I believe that the single most important thing at this level is to go all out to win the 2nd ball. It's that which gives you the extra 10% to turn draws into victories and defeats into drawers. That mean fitness and commitment from the players and the drive to achieve it from the manager. On top of that I think attacks have to be pressed at speed and players have to break their necks to get into the opposition box. I like teams to mix up the playing style, so that the opposition never get comfortable. Players should never be afraid to take risks and not default to tippy-tappy possession based tedium. 

In short, my ideal way of playing was Derby County last night. And it's not like it's a one off. Since Rooney has taken charge we've been inching towards that style with every game. He seems to have achieved exactly what I would have expected from a manager with 20 years experience and 3 promotions. I'm sure McClaren has helped, but this side are more physical and dynamic out of possession and more flexible in attack than McClaren's sides were - so logically Rooney must be the main driver.

It appears that my anti-Rooney stance is now untenable.

Unbelievably - Rooney in

I'm still a reluctant No! Normally they say judge after 10 games and that's what I will do. He has created a bit of an upward wave and long may it continue. Its how you handle the downside that will inevitably come. Even with Uncle Steve looking over his shoulder his inexperience will catch up to him.

Having said that I'm not sure who I want to replace him! No, likely to come, stand out candidates spring to mind.

I also wonder if the upturn is due to improved fitness as much as anything else, was WR resposiblr for Mr Hartley coming in?

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Don’t disagree with most of that. (Still don’t get the anti-Evans thing?) 

agree that CKR (and Bielik) have transformed us but Cocu seemed to be under some obligation to play Rooney. Actually taking Rooney out of the side has also helped massively. 
however it has come about we suddenly look like a team with all parts meshing together nicely. The mood is transformed. Long may it continue. 

Agree on the Rooney point he needed dropping even Rooney can probably see that now

Never a fan of Cocus tippy tappy football and dont loose procession at all costs although Cocu never had a fit Beilik to pick also

I think the two pieces of masterstroke from Rooney  as been getting Kazim Richards in the side and playing Shinnie and Beilik as defence cover 

I've not voted as there is no middle ground between yes and no, despite initially being a firm no there has to be a shift given recent events. There has been an upward swing in the performances since the Brentford game- we are looking more dynamic, threatening and solid at the back. How much of this is due to returning players, the mac having some guiding influence on a young inexperienced coach and Rooney's overall performance it's hard to tell. I'm still not a firm yes as it is only 8 games, he has no experience and despite our upturn in form we are still only a point or two above relegation. Yes, it is great to see us dragging ourselves out of the mire that we put ourselves in but we do need to be wary that another downturn could just put us back to where we were. Therefore, ensuring we have the correct managerial team in place is of vital importance. 

The chemistry just seems to be right. There's LR, SG, Wazza, Mac3, and JW and things have just clicked into place. It's still a group but Wazza is clearly the leader. Most tellingly, the players are now playing for the Boss. There's a focus and a plan which they now "understand".

Initially, I thought the whole Wazza story was wrong for Derby County (cf Lampard}. But if you judge on the evidence, his impact has been unequivocal. We would be off our rockers now NOT to appoint him. He's in charge, he takes advice {cf Given's advice to switch to in-swinging corners versus Brum} and I now find I'm drawn to his post-match interviews. There is a steely insight that Wazza exudes and the players are clearly picking up on it. And the beauty of football is that 7 weeks ago I approached another Derby game with uncertain dread; now I can't wait for the Wednesday on Friday. Have the football gods got a plan for Wazza this season...?

I was very sceptical at first, but Wayne has honestly changed my mind. Think he's done an amazing job so far and probably still wouldn't have lost if not for Wag horn's rush of blood. He clearly had the 4-3-3 as a vision for how he wanted to play and what suits our players, but started off with a more solid shape as he knew we needed some instant results to build confidence. The players look great now and are playing to how most of us knew they could. Will be interesting to see who he picks when all our forward players are available. Jozwiak is a must my opinion, so who would start on the other wing, Sibley, Ibe, Waghorn, Lawrence ?

Despite many peoples perception of him, Wayne is actually incredibly knowledgeable in football terms. He's worked with some of the best managers around, Mourinho, Sir Alex, Capello, Van Gaal, Big Sam, so he knows how things work and how to get the best out of each player. Wayne has earned the job full time and i honestly think there is nobody better we could sign(realistically).

Also just to say thank you and well done to Mel for bringing Mac back to the club aswell, he has clearly been a very positive influence.   

I’ve gone for yes for the first time.

He was always going to be manager unless things went disastrously anyways!

That said he’s done well, defence is improved, we’re starting gain some teeth in attack and he’s found the right blend in midfield.

Now for my favourite thing and negative thing.

Favourite: He’s picking horses for courses and not over elaborating. Too many of our fans have this silly fixation on technique over everything else. They forget we are in the bottom half of the champ where other attributes are just as important if not more so. Who’d have thought Shinnie, or Kaz would have been important to our success?

Negative: The celebrity circus, really despise this and our club has been at the centre of it for a seemingly long time now. Rooney attracts a lot of attention which can turn quite negative at times and also potentially lead him elsewhere before his apprenticeship is done as happened with lampard!

Archived